    I have two pcs networked on a wireless router with Windows , 1 has Windows
    XP Home and the other Vista . Is it possible to add a third and use it with
    Linux wirelessly. If so is it added in the same way as a networked PC. TIA

    PWB, Feb 8, 2008

  2. PWB

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > I have two pcs networked on a wireless router with Windows , 1 has Windows
    > XP Home and the other Vista .

    > Is it possible to add a third and use it with
    > Linux wirelessly.

    Yes.

    > If so is it added in the same way as a networked PC. TIA

    Er.. Yes, in as much as you connect it to the wireless network and
    either give it an IP or let it use your DHCP server to obtain an IP.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 8, 2008

  3. PWB

    VanguardLH Guest

    "PWB" wrote in message news:Wz1rj.3536$...
    > I have two pcs networked on a wireless router with Windows , 1 has
    > Windows XP Home and the other Vista . Is it possible to add a third
    > and use it with Linux wirelessly. If so is it added in the same way
    > as a networked PC. TIA

    "use it"

    Does that mean you just want to have network connectivity on the Linux
    host? Presumably NAT is included in your router (which means it also
    has a DHCP server). So either assign a static IP address (different
    than any other host in your intranet) or have it get a dynamically
    assigned IP address from the router's DHCP server.

    Or do you want to share files between the Windows and Linux hosts. If
    so, check on using Samba.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+"file sharing" +windows +linux +samba

    Also see Windows Services for Unix (SFU):
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/interopmigration/bb380242.aspx
    (I've never used it myself. It adds NFS support.)

    VanguardLH, Feb 8, 2008
  4. PWB wrote:

    > I have two pcs networked on a wireless router with Windows , 1 has Windows
    > XP Home and the other Vista . Is it possible to add a third and use it
    > with
    > Linux wirelessly. If so is it added in the same way as a networked PC.
    > TIA

    You have to be careful in which wireless network card you buy. Intel and
    atheros come to my mind.
    It may be a P.I.T.A to get WPA encryption (wpa supplicant needed) to work as
    well, with linux.
    Btw., each wireless router has some nice ethernet jacks as well. That should
    work without problems in no time, assuming the router is dhcp server.
    For sharing files between windows and linux, you want to install samba
    server on the linux box.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 9, 2008
  5. PWB

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:54:46 GMT, PWB wrote:

    >I have two pcs networked on a wireless router with Windows , 1 has Windows
    >XP Home and the other Vista . Is it possible to add a third and use it with
    >Linux wirelessly. If so is it added in the same way as a networked PC. TIA

    Yes, just check that the card is supported and has drivers.

    Basically yes, if you aren't sure like any setup, you follow the
    instructions.

    Me

    why?, Feb 9, 2008