linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rebel Lord, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Rebel Lord

    Rebel Lord Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > You know. I just love the gui in red hat. Tell you all something ? I'm
    > seriously thinking about wipeing my entire hard drive and dumping windows
    > completly. I know, Ill just minamise me duel boot for windows i think.
    > for now. Just in case. yeah, Ill keep windows xp but I gota tell you
    > guys, I aint used windows for days.

    It's amazing how it grows on you, I scrapped the dual boot about 2 years ago
    however now and as an experiment I am running dos and windows 3.1 as a dula
    boot with my linux. I have even gone slightly crazy and put the old BBS
    back up :)

    Have you found the joys of synaptic and apt yet ?

    Rebel Lord, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Rebel Lord

    Malcolm Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > You know. I just love the gui in red hat. Tell you all something ? I'm
    > seriously thinking about wipeing my entire hard drive and dumping windows
    > completly. I know, Ill just minamise me duel boot for windows i think.
    > for now. Just in case. yeah, Ill keep windows xp but I gota tell you
    > guys, I aint used windows for days.

    Hi Cave Dweller
    You can always install WINE and see if you get those windows AP's
    working or run a windows VM under linux.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Rebel Lord

    steve Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > You know. I just love the gui in red hat. Tell you all something ? I'm
    > seriously thinking about wipeing my entire hard drive and dumping windows
    > completly. I know, Ill just minamise me duel boot for windows i think.
    > for now. Just in case. yeah, Ill keep windows xp but I gota tell you
    > guys, I aint used windows for days.

    There are a few things you might need Windows for.....but if you get
    Crossover Office 3.1 or WINE, you will be able to do most of them on Linux.

    For example, with Crover Office, you can run MS IE 6 with SP1 on Linux if
    you strike a web site you MUST use and it won't work with any of the non-MS
    browsers.

    Crossover Office is useful for removing even those few things you still need
    to do on Windows occasionally.

    www.codeweavers.com

    For games, look at Cedega from www.transgaming.com.

    Most of the major games these days have a Linux version available, for for
    those that don't you have a good chance of being able to play them on Linux
    anyway using Transgaming's special version of WINE.

    www.transgaming.com

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Rebel Lord

    steve Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >> You know. I just love the gui in red hat. Tell you all something ? I'm
    >> seriously thinking about wipeing my entire hard drive and dumping windows
    >> completly. I know, Ill just minamise me duel boot for windows i think.
    >> for now. Just in case. yeah, Ill keep windows xp but I gota tell you
    >> guys, I aint used windows for days.
    >>

    > Hi Cave Dweller
    > You can always install WINE and see if you get those windows AP's
    > working or run a windows VM under linux.

    WINE isn't a virtual machine.

    It catches the calls from the program to Windows and converts them into
    Linux calls and vice versa.

    You can also get Win4Lin....which uses a specially patched version of the
    kernel to allow Windows programs to run more quickly than they do on
    WINE.....though WINE is perfectly adequate for 90% of programs if you have
    a system with enough CPU grunt.

    VMWare is a true VM.....a completely virtual PC compatible downto BIOS
    level...running on top of the host OS (which may be Linux or Windows or
    whatever else they support).

    With VMWare you could be running several different OSes on top of the host
    OS at the same time. Cross-platform software developers love it.

    steve, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Rebel Lord

    Malcolm Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >

    >>troglodyte wrote:
    >>

    >>>You know. I just love the gui in red hat. Tell you all something ? I'm
    >>>seriously thinking about wipeing my entire hard drive and dumping windows
    >>>completly. I know, Ill just minamise me duel boot for windows i think.
    >>>for now. Just in case. yeah, Ill keep windows xp but I gota tell you
    >>>guys, I aint used windows for days.
    >>>

    >>Hi Cave Dweller
    >>You can always install WINE and see if you get those windows AP's
    >>working or run a windows VM under linux.

    > WINE isn't a virtual machine.

    I did say 'or' wasn't specific as there are a few around as you have
    indicated :)

    QEMU may be worth a look at www.bellard.org/qemu

    Malcolm, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Rebel Lord

    thing Guest

    troglodyte wrote:
    > You know. I just love the gui in red hat. Tell you all something ? I'm
    > seriously thinking about wipeing my entire hard drive and dumping windows
    > completly. I know, Ill just minamise me duel boot for windows i think.
    > for now. Just in case. yeah, Ill keep windows xp but I gota tell you
    > guys, I aint used windows for days.

    I run a vmware session to a RHAS3 box via win2k desktop, because that is
    what my employer supplies. However I do just about everything of
    consequence via the 28 windows I have open in the RH gui. Uses 1gig of
    ram plus, all the time but it has 2 gig anyway.....use 3 different web
    browsers, all the networking, unix adn linux tools are to hand it just
    rocks. If I need to I save a .doc to the samba share and open it via
    open office, which so far has never terminated abruptly on me, unlike MS
    office.

    No clicking through lots of minimised buttons on a MS desktop trying to
    find the session you need, just group them logically in the workspace
    switcher and of course RH doesnt crash so when Win2k goes down, after
    reconnection the sessions are still there and running.

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Rebel Lord

    Dumbkiwi Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:29:35 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> troglodyte wrote:
    >>
    >>> You know. I just love the gui in red hat. Tell you all something ? I'm
    >>> seriously thinking about wipeing my entire hard drive and dumping
    >>> windows completly. I know, Ill just minamise me duel boot for windows
    >>> i think. for now. Just in case. yeah, Ill keep windows xp but I gota
    >>> tell you guys, I aint used windows for days.
    >>>

    >> Hi Cave Dweller
    >> You can always install WINE and see if you get those windows AP's
    >> working or run a windows VM under linux.

    > WINE isn't a virtual machine.
    >
    > It catches the calls from the program to Windows and converts them into
    > Linux calls and vice versa.
    >
    > You can also get Win4Lin....which uses a specially patched version of the
    > kernel to allow Windows programs to run more quickly than they do on
    > WINE.....though WINE is perfectly adequate for 90% of programs if you have
    > a system with enough CPU grunt.

    Win4Lin is an emulator, and requires that you install Windows (win9X
    series only), and have a windows license. I also doubt your claims about
    running faster than wine.

    > VMWare is a true VM.....a completely virtual PC compatible downto BIOS
    > level...running on top of the host OS (which may be Linux or Windows or
    > whatever else they support).
    >
    > With VMWare you could be running several different OSes on top of the
    > host OS at the same time. Cross-platform software developers love it.

    Matt

    Dumbkiwi, Sep 24, 2004
  8. "steve" <> wrote in message
    > As for speed vs WINE....I've run both and Win4Lin definitely had the edge
    > for many tasks.
    >
    > But if WINE looks faster to you, that's OK, too. :)

    It is entirely possible that on one architecture wine is faster than win4lin
    while on another architecture win4lin is faster than wine.

    Andrew

    Andrew Bryson, Sep 24, 2004
  9. Rebel Lord

    steve Guest

    Andrew Bryson wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> As for speed vs WINE....I've run both and Win4Lin definitely had the edge
    >> for many tasks.
    >>
    >> But if WINE looks faster to you, that's OK, too. :)

    > It is entirely possible that on one architecture wine is faster than
    > win4lin while on another architecture win4lin is faster than wine.
    >
    > Andrew

    Agreed.

    My comments werer based on what I saw. I don't deny what anyone else claims
    they saw.

    troglodyte, Sep 25, 2004
  11. Rebel Lord

    Rebel Lord Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    >> Have you found the joys of synaptic and apt yet ?

    > No yet Lord. Still a ralative newcomer to linux. Theres a lot to digest.

    It is a big learning curve. However if you pop over to
    http://www.fedora.us
    and have a look through the redhat 9 section for apt and synaptic. I don't
    think you will be disappointed with them. Though in saying that synaptic
    can be a little weird at times and not load from the link it puts on the
    menu, so you need to run it from a run box ie alt-F2.

    Rebel Lord, Sep 26, 2004
  12. Rebel Lord

    troglodyte Guest

    troglodyte, Sep 27, 2004