    Which distribution of linux would best meet my needs?
    I have heard that either Ubuntu or Red Hat may be what I ought to look
    for. Kindly clarify me what I should do.

    Saurav, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Saurav

    Patrick Guest

    It's not easy to say. it really depends on system specs. But if I had to
    recommend any, I would recommend Ubuntu. The only problem I have ever had
    with Linux is that I have a 3d Graphics card on my desktop and I have never
    been able to get 3d enabled inside Linux. I have an ATI Radeon 9550. I hear
    that it is easier to get Nvidia cards to work inside Linux. So if you wish
    to use Linux I would also suggest to steer clear of ATI cards, their Linux
    driver absolutely sucks.

    Patrick

    Patrick, Dec 13, 2006

  3. Saurav

    Guest

    Saurav wrote:
    > I am a student of mathematics; and I presently windows XP. I have to
    > work with FORTAN, C++, perhaps VC++(I have not started working with
    > it), LaTex related softwares(I am using miktex 2.5, but better if I had
    > total miktex) , vast internet surfing including torrent sites,
    > rapidshare &c..
    > I want to wean myself to linux.
    > Which distribution of linux would best meet my needs?
    > I have heard that either Ubuntu or Red Hat may be what I ought to look
    > for. Kindly clarify me what I should do.

    not much point. you may have more time for maths and more peace if you
    stick to windows.

    I have a friend who was doing a PhD and used linux because everybosy
    said it was the best. And he wanted to fit into the higher culture,
    please his supervisor. Now he's a supervisor , he uses windows. In
    those days he had to convert his word documernts into a stupid pdf for
    the anti windows professors .

    he might've used KDE as a GUI(window manager), and the SUSE distro

    now, with windows, I thjink he uses a cross platform compiler or
    something for his progs to run on linux. I guess he can ftp and telnet
    to a linux system if he needs to. Though he has secure versions of
    those.. sftp/ftps, ssh, even a vpn.

    , Dec 14, 2006