    ---------------------------
    http://www.mediacollege.com
    Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources
    dave conz, Dec 4, 2003

  2. dave conz

    harry Guest

    dave conz wrote:
    > I want to set up a Linux box as a file server for our LAN and be able
    > to back up onto DVD. Any thoughts on what DVD burner to use and how to
    > set it up? What's the minimum hardware I'd need?
    > Thanks.
    > ---------------------------
    > http://www.mediacollege.com
    > Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources

    A good cd/dvd writer app is K3b

    http://www.k3b.org/
    harry, Dec 4, 2003

  3. harry wrote:
    > dave conz wrote:
    >
    >>I want to set up a Linux box as a file server for our LAN and be able
    >>to back up onto DVD. Any thoughts on what DVD burner to use and how to
    >>set it up? What's the minimum hardware I'd need?
    >>Thanks.
    >>---------------------------
    >>http://www.mediacollege.com
    >>Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources

    > A good cd/dvd writer app is K3b
    >
    > http://www.k3b.org/

    And most CD burning software on linux works best with the scsi emulation
    drivers so be sure to enable them.

    I think hardware choice used to be an issue with the +rw/-rw choice, but
    now a dual system drive is standard.

    As with all hardware, get the best you can afford etc, and when you have
    a shortlist of models surf them up to see if theres been complaints etc...
    Kurt Häusler, Dec 4, 2003
  4. dave conz

    Jay Guest

    dave conz wrote:

    > I want to set up a Linux box as a file server for our LAN and be able
    > to back up onto DVD. Any thoughts on what DVD burner to use and how to
    > set it up? What's the minimum hardware I'd need?

    Any DVD burner will do.

    But if you are wanting to backup your LAN I suggest an extra disk is
    more appropriate because a 120GB disk is roughly the same price as
    the equivalent storage in DVDs (ignoring the costs of DVD burner itself).
    If you included the cost of DVD burner then a hard disk looks a lot cheaper.

    You can erase a hard disk as many times as you like - not so DVD-R.
    A hard disk is much easier to manage than a DVD. And if your disk is
    in a disk drive container ($15) then you can swap one 120+GB disk
    much faster than you can slot 25 DVDs into you DVD drive. And hard disks
    "burn" a lot faster than DVDs.

    DVD is obsolete except for replication of consumer-level DVD stuff.
    Currently hard disks in removable drive containers are the better
    and more practial solution for backups.
    Jay, Dec 4, 2003
  5. On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:56:54 +1100, Jay wrote:

    > DVD is obsolete except for replication of consumer-level DVD stuff.
    > Currently hard disks in removable drive containers are the better
    > and more practial solution for backups.

    SAIT is cost effective, but you need to be backing up at least 800Gb to
    make it worthwhile.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 4, 2003
  6. dave conz

    dave conz Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:16:03 +1300, dave conz <> wrote:

    >I want to set up a Linux box as a file server for our LAN and be able
    >to back up onto DVD. Any thoughts on what DVD burner to use and how to
    >set it up? What's the minimum hardware I'd need?
    >Thanks.
    >---------------------------
    >http://www.mediacollege.com
    >Electronic Media Tutorials & Resources

    Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I'll check out a few hard drive
    options before I go any further.
    ---------------------------
    dave conz, Dec 5, 2003
  7. dave conz

    Jay Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:56:54 +1100, Jay wrote:
    >
    >> DVD is obsolete except for replication of consumer-level DVD stuff.
    >> Currently hard disks in removable drive containers are the better
    >> and more practial solution for backups.

    > SAIT is cost effective, but you need to be backing up at least 800Gb to
    > make it worthwhile.

    No you don't. 100GB is enough.

    120GB drive + drive container = $170 + $15 = $185.

    22 DVD-R = $99
    DVD drive (per month) = $20
    inconvenience factor = $20
    labor cost (manual insert of media) = $50
    TOTAL = $189

    It is interesting how DVD-R media costs are contrived to be in the
    exact same ratio to CD-R media costs as are the respective media
    storage capacities. Has nothing much to do with the manufacturing
    cost. It is a bit like charging twice as much for a pencil with
    a point at both ends.
    Jay, Dec 5, 2003
  8. On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:59:05 +1100, Jay wrote:

    >> SAIT is cost effective, but you need to be backing up at least 800Gb to
    >> make it worthwhile.

    > No you don't. 100GB is enough.
    >
    > 120GB drive + drive container = $170 + $15 = $185.
    >
    > 22 DVD-R = $99
    > DVD drive (per month) = $20
    > inconvenience factor = $20
    > labor cost (manual insert of media) = $50
    > TOTAL = $189

    SAIT tapes are approx NZ$480 apiece and the drives are $18,000

    BTW, I'm paying approx NZ$1 for DVD+RW and about 40c for CDRW

    However it is NOT cost effective to feed 100 DVD-Rs to a drive, vs one
    tape - labour costs. We use a 50-tape, 2 drive changer, f'instance and
    using LTO2 it's only _just_ enough to do a full system backup.

    I'm not paying anyone to mindlessly feed DVDs to a changer, nor am I going
    to pay for a 500-disc Yamaha changer to do backups when it would only hold
    enough discs for 1 generation of backup...
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 5, 2003