Linux/WinMe partition question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ron, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    I plan on installing Mandrake Linux on my WinME machine and dual-boot. I
    have done this before on an old machine w/only a physical C and D drive
    w/Linux on the D drive w/no issues. My current machine is partitioned
    thusly: C, E and F on the physical C drive and D on, well, the D drive. I
    have dual-booted this machine before with every partition permutation I
    could think of, but in Windows, the partitions are changed or disappear
    altogether, i.e.. E becomes D, F becomes E, etc. or only my C partition is
    visible in Win Explorer. My question is thus: I can live with the
    'rearranged' partitions after installing Linux, say, on the D drive, but
    what do I need do to access programs that have the shortcuts hosed in the
    Start Menu? Do I need only modify the 'Target" and "Start In" properties to
    be able to access/run Windows programs? For example, Microsoft FltSim was
    F:\FS9. After partition changes, I modify the target properties to E:\FS9 to
    reflect the changed drive hierarchy in windows. Will there possibly be
    registry issues that might make this undertaking a major PITA?

    Thanks in advance and sorry for the wordy question,

    Ron

    --
    http://webpages.charter.net/clickfam/Mondo.htm
     
    Ron, Aug 5, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ron

    DC Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > I plan on installing Mandrake Linux on my WinME machine and dual-boot. I
    > have done this before on an old machine w/only a physical C and D drive
    > w/Linux on the D drive w/no issues. My current machine is partitioned
    > thusly: C, E and F on the physical C drive and D on, well, the D drive. I
    > have dual-booted this machine before with every partition permutation I
    > could think of, but in Windows, the partitions are changed or disappear
    > altogether, i.e.. E becomes D, F becomes E, etc. or only my C partition is
    > visible in Win Explorer. My question is thus: I can live with the
    > 'rearranged' partitions after installing Linux, say, on the D drive, but
    > what do I need do to access programs that have the shortcuts hosed in the
    > Start Menu? Do I need only modify the 'Target" and "Start In" properties to
    > be able to access/run Windows programs? For example, Microsoft FltSim was
    > F:\FS9. After partition changes, I modify the target properties to E:\FS9 to
    > reflect the changed drive hierarchy in windows. Will there possibly be
    > registry issues that might make this undertaking a major PITA?


    > Thanks in advance and sorry for the wordy question,


    Best place to ask this: alt.os.linux.mandrake[1]

    [1] ...where you will be told, simply, that Mandrake will not touch your
    Windows partitions unless you tell it to. It will not rearrange your
    drive letters, since *there are no drive letters* in linux. Linux
    doesn't give a damn what other partitions you have. It will not touch
    your registry... blahblablah.

    Just tell linux where to install itself and it will. Windows shouldn't
    care, either, since it can't even see ext2fs partitions. Just be sure
    that Windows is on the first/primary/active/bootable partition on your
    system (which I would guess that it is).

    But, LIS, ask in aolm.

    Good luck.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601
     
    DC, Aug 5, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ron wrote:
    > > I plan on installing Mandrake Linux on my WinME machine and dual-boot.

    I
    > > have done this before on an old machine w/only a physical C and D drive
    > > w/Linux on the D drive w/no issues. My current machine is partitioned
    > > thusly: C, E and F on the physical C drive and D on, well, the D drive.

    I
    > > have dual-booted this machine before with every partition permutation I
    > > could think of, but in Windows, the partitions are changed or disappear
    > > altogether, i.e.. E becomes D, F becomes E, etc. or only my C partition

    is
    > > visible in Win Explorer. My question is thus: I can live with the
    > > 'rearranged' partitions after installing Linux, say, on the D drive, but
    > > what do I need do to access programs that have the shortcuts hosed in

    the
    > > Start Menu? Do I need only modify the 'Target" and "Start In"

    properties to
    > > be able to access/run Windows programs? For example, Microsoft FltSim

    was
    > > F:\FS9. After partition changes, I modify the target properties to

    E:\FS9 to
    > > reflect the changed drive hierarchy in windows. Will there possibly be
    > > registry issues that might make this undertaking a major PITA?

    >
    > > Thanks in advance and sorry for the wordy question,

    >
    > Best place to ask this: alt.os.linux.mandrake[1]
    >
    > [1] ...where you will be told, simply, that Mandrake will not touch your
    > Windows partitions unless you tell it to. It will not rearrange your
    > drive letters, since *there are no drive letters* in linux. Linux
    > doesn't give a damn what other partitions you have. It will not touch
    > your registry... blahblablah.
    >
    > Just tell linux where to install itself and it will. Windows shouldn't
    > care, either, since it can't even see ext2fs partitions. Just be sure
    > that Windows is on the first/primary/active/bootable partition on your
    > system (which I would guess that it is).
    >
    > But, LIS, ask in aolm.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
    >
    > Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601


    Thanks for the reply, and I agree that Linux does not rearrange the drive
    letters, touch the registry, etc. The issues is not so much with Linux, but
    with Windows. I have installed Red Hat, Debian, etc. and experienced the
    same shift of drive designations in Windows due to my somewhat weird
    partitioning. I, as mentioned, can live with the redesignation of drive
    'letters' in Windows after installing Linux, but what do I need to do to
    maintain functionality of Windows progs after the fact? Is simply changing
    the path in the shortcut enough?

    TIA,

    Ron
    --
    http://webpages.charter.net/clickfam/Mondo.htm
     
    Ron, Aug 5, 2004
    #3
  4. Ron

    DC Guest

    Ron wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    > news:...


    [big snip]

    > Thanks for the reply, and I agree that Linux does not rearrange the drive
    > letters, touch the registry, etc. The issues is not so much with Linux, but
    > with Windows. I have installed Red Hat, Debian, etc. and experienced the
    > same shift of drive designations in Windows due to my somewhat weird


    This is what I don't get. I have never heard of Windows shuffling drive
    letters following a linux install. How, pray tell, do you manage this?

    Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
    possible -- I'm not sure)?

    > partitioning. I, as mentioned, can live with the redesignation of drive


    Define "weird partitioning". Seriously, I would like to learn from
    this, too. Better yet, follow my original advice and post to aolm. Be
    specific about this "weird partitioning" of which you speak. You'll get
    the best help and advice there.

    > 'letters' in Windows after installing Linux, but what do I need to do to
    > maintain functionality of Windows progs after the fact? Is simply changing
    > the path in the shortcut enough?


    Not likely. If your drives get shuffled (how you manage this, I'd
    *rilly* like to know), I'm certain that tons of registry pointers will
    break.

    The important issue, for you, is to find out what is obviously going
    wrong with your linux installation technique. Obtain guidance from the
    very helpful bunch in aolm and you should not need to address the drive
    shuffle issue at all.

    I'll follow along, over there. You've got me intrigued, now. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601
     
    DC, Aug 5, 2004
    #4
  5. Ron

    Ron Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ron wrote:
    >
    > > "DC" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...

    >
    > [big snip]
    >
    > > Thanks for the reply, and I agree that Linux does not rearrange the

    drive
    > > letters, touch the registry, etc. The issues is not so much with Linux,

    but
    > > with Windows. I have installed Red Hat, Debian, etc. and experienced

    the
    > > same shift of drive designations in Windows due to my somewhat weird

    >
    > This is what I don't get. I have never heard of Windows shuffling drive
    > letters following a linux install. How, pray tell, do you manage this?
    >
    > Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
    > possible -- I'm not sure)?
    >
    > > partitioning. I, as mentioned, can live with the redesignation of drive

    >
    > Define "weird partitioning". Seriously, I would like to learn from
    > this, too. Better yet, follow my original advice and post to aolm. Be
    > specific about this "weird partitioning" of which you speak. You'll get
    > the best help and advice there.
    >
    > > 'letters' in Windows after installing Linux, but what do I need to do to
    > > maintain functionality of Windows progs after the fact? Is simply

    changing
    > > the path in the shortcut enough?

    >
    > Not likely. If your drives get shuffled (how you manage this, I'd
    > *rilly* like to know), I'm certain that tons of registry pointers will
    > break.
    >
    > The important issue, for you, is to find out what is obviously going
    > wrong with your linux installation technique. Obtain guidance from the
    > very helpful bunch in aolm and you should not need to address the drive
    > shuffle issue at all.
    >
    > I'll follow along, over there. You've got me intrigued, now. }:O)
    >
    > --
    > DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
    >
    > Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601


    Hi DC,

    Yea, I did a similar post a few days ago on aolm and the solution was: "make
    a small primary FAT partition on the 2nd physical drive before you donate
    the rest to Linux." I have tried this before with the same result of drive
    letter shuffling. I will, however, probably try installing Linux again this
    weekend if I do not too many burdens on my time and will apprise the group
    through this thread of my results.

    Ron


    --
    http://webpages.charter.net/clickfam/Mondo.htm
     
    Ron, Aug 5, 2004
    #5
  6. Ron

    Parko Guest

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:59:29 +0000, DC wrote:

    > Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
    > possible -- I'm not sure)?


    There are Linux distros that will. Peanut is one that comes to mind...
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Defenestrate Windows!
    And now for something completely different...
    http://www.parko-polishes.com/
     
    Parko, Aug 5, 2004
    #6
  7. Ron

    DC Guest

    Parko wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:59:29 +0000, DC wrote:


    >> Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
    >> possible -- I'm not sure)?


    > There are Linux distros that will. Peanut is one that comes to mind...


    Thanks. I didn't know this was possible. Why someone would choose to
    install it on an inferior filesystem like FAT is beyond me, though. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601
     
    DC, Aug 5, 2004
    #7
  8. Ron

    DC Guest

    Ron wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Ron wrote:


    >> [big snip]


    [...]

    >> > 'letters' in Windows after installing Linux, but what do I need to do to
    >> > maintain functionality of Windows progs after the fact? Is simply

    > changing
    >> > the path in the shortcut enough?


    >> Not likely. If your drives get shuffled (how you manage this, I'd
    >> *rilly* like to know), I'm certain that tons of registry pointers will
    >> break.


    >> The important issue, for you, is to find out what is obviously going
    >> wrong with your linux installation technique. Obtain guidance from the
    >> very helpful bunch in aolm and you should not need to address the drive
    >> shuffle issue at all.



    > Hi DC,


    > Yea, I did a similar post a few days ago on aolm and the solution was: "make
    > a small primary FAT partition on the 2nd physical drive before you donate
    > the rest to Linux." I have tried this before with the same result of drive



    Aha! There's the problem (I think) -- you are adding a FAT32 Partition.

    You didn't include a message-id for your aolm post -- but I found it. I
    don't quite follow the advice you received about adding a small FAT32
    partition, though. }:O\

    All I can say is that I had, until recently, a triple-boot system with
    Win98SE, Win XP Home, and Mandrake Linux. I installed Linux on the end
    of my second hard drive in ext3 partitions. I observed no Win drive
    letter shuffling.

    I'm sorry, that isn't much help.


    > letter shuffling. I will, however, probably try installing Linux again this
    > weekend if I do not too many burdens on my time and will apprise the group
    > through this thread of my results.



    Good luck with that.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601
     
    DC, Aug 5, 2004
    #8
  9. Ron

    Parko Guest

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:26:19 +0000, DC wrote:

    > Parko wrote:
    >> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:59:29 +0000, DC wrote:

    >
    >>> Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
    >>> possible -- I'm not sure)?

    >
    >> There are Linux distros that will. Peanut is one that comes to mind...

    >
    > Thanks. I didn't know this was possible. Why someone would choose to
    > install it on an inferior filesystem like FAT is beyond me, though. }:O)


    Easy file sharing I suppose. CoLinux is another one that will
    install to a Windows partition. I've been using reiserFS for a while now
    and find is superior to any other file system I've used.

    http://ibiblio.org/peanut/HOWTO.TXT
    http://www.colinux.org/

    When I've got a weekend to spare I might take Colinux for a spin, just for
    fun...Wheeeeeee

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Defenestrate Windows!
    And now for something completely different...
    http://www.parko-polishes.com/
     
    Parko, Aug 5, 2004
    #9
  10. Ron

    Ron Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:26:19 +0000, DC wrote:
    >
    > > Parko wrote:
    > >> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:59:29 +0000, DC wrote:

    > >
    > >>> Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
    > >>> possible -- I'm not sure)?

    > >
    > >> There are Linux distros that will. Peanut is one that comes to mind...

    > >
    > > Thanks. I didn't know this was possible. Why someone would choose to
    > > install it on an inferior filesystem like FAT is beyond me, though. }:O)

    >
    > Easy file sharing I suppose. CoLinux is another one that will
    > install to a Windows partition. I've been using reiserFS for a while now
    > and find is superior to any other file system I've used.
    >
    > http://ibiblio.org/peanut/HOWTO.TXT
    > http://www.colinux.org/
    >
    > When I've got a weekend to spare I might take Colinux for a spin, just for
    > fun...Wheeeeeee
    >
    > --
    > Parko
    > Registered Linux User #339345
    > Defenestrate Windows!
    > And now for something completely different...
    > http://www.parko-polishes.com/


    Well, I had some free time, so I resized my D partition on my D drive
    w/Partition Commander to allow some free space for Linux. Installed 9.2(?)
    and my partitions were rearranged, but the partition with my programs
    remained the same, so no prob. there. I could not get XServer to run,
    though, perhaps due to a new vid card that might not be supported. Did not
    care to dig too deep at this time. However, just for fun, I removed 9.(X)
    and, after installed 8.(X) and my partitions, other than C disappeared in
    Win Explorer. I am downloading ML10 now. Will try it soon.

    Regards,

    Ron
     
    Ron, Aug 6, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Pierre Jarry
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,434
    Pierre Jarry
    Jul 14, 2003
  2. Mike
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    11,996
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Jan 29, 2004
  3. Dutch Treat
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    882
    Dutch Treat
    Dec 6, 2004
  4. sofasurfer

    TV tuner for WinME and Linux

    sofasurfer, Dec 28, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    431
    Baron
    Jan 13, 2007
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2

    Save Linux Partition-Get Rid of Linux

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Mar 5, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    43
    Views:
    1,098
    Seatoller
    Mar 6, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page