    how to share and see linux files in window xp 2000 and vice versa
    i need to run windows ppt aplication on linux.

    cud u help me in this regard.
    TSB, Mar 22, 2006

  2. TSB

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:10:12 -0800, TSB wrote:

    > how to share and see linux files in window xp 2000 and vice versa
    > i need to run windows ppt aplication on linux.
    >
    > cud u help me in this regard.

    The easiest way is to make a small partition and format it with FAT32 to
    share files on.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10
    Gordon, Mar 22, 2006

  3. TSB wrote:
    > how to share and see linux files in window xp 2000 and vice versa
    > i need to run windows ppt aplication on linux.
    >
    > cud u help me in this regard.

    If the files are on a Linux computer, install and configure Samba on the
    Linux computer.

    What PPT application are you referring to?
    If you just want to view, edit or create a PPT presentation on Linux,
    install and configure Open Office. It's compatible (for the most part)
    with MS Office.

    If you want to run a PPT slideshow (a PPS file) on Linux, install and
    configure Wine or something similar.
    ::Your Name Here::, Mar 22, 2006
  4. TSB

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:48:35 +1100, wrote:

    > If you want to run a PPT slideshow (a PPS file) on Linux, install and
    > configure Wine or something similar.

    Open Office will run pps files AFAIK - the show just doesn't start
    automatically......

    Gordon, Mar 22, 2006
  5. Gordon wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:48:35 +1100, wrote:
    >

    >>If you want to run a PPT slideshow (a PPS file) on Linux, install and
    >>configure Wine or something similar.

    > Open Office will run pps files AFAIK - the show just doesn't start
    > automatically......

    Thanks for clarifying that. I'll remember that for next time :)
    ::Your Name Here::, Mar 22, 2006
  6. TSB

    TSB Guest

    thanks for ur response

    i have linux 9 , do samba is inbuild in this or i need to down load.
    is it available in in RH fedora 5.
    and how to configure SAMBA.

    thanks
    TSB, Mar 22, 2006
  7. TSB

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:46:00 -0800, TSB wrote:

    > thanks for ur response
    >
    > i have linux 9 , do samba is inbuild in this or i need to down load.
    > is it available in in RH fedora 5.
    > and how to configure SAMBA.
    >
    > thanks

    Are you talking about sharing files on a dual-boot machine, or over a
    network? And what is "linux 9"?

    Gordon, Mar 22, 2006
  8. TSB

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-22, TSB <> wrote:
    > how to share and see linux files in window xp 2000 and vice versa
    > i need to run windows ppt aplication on linux.
    >
    > cud u help me in this regard.

    What do you mean by "run windows ppt aplication on linux"? If you mean
    that you want to run Microsoft Powerpoint on Linux then you should look
    into a product called Crossover Office, which is designed for precisely
    that purpose.

    Alternatively, consider using OpenOffice.org (OOo) instead of Microsoft
    Office; it comes in both Windows and Linux versions, and can read and
    write MS Office files (including Powerpoint) with about as much
    'compatibility' as there is between different versions of MS Office. But
    it's *free* :))

    No version of Windows can read or write to any Linux-format disc or
    partition, and Linux can't reliably write to Microsoft NTFS discs or
    partitions, although it can read from them. Windows 98SE and older
    versions of Windows cannot read or write NTFS file systems. All versions
    of Windows since Windows 95, and Linux, can read and write happily to FAT32
    - so set up a FAT32 partition if you need Windows and Linux to use the
    same files.

    There are utilities that try to give Windows access to non-Microsoft file
    systems or let Linux create and write to NTFS, but I don't think I'd want
    to rely on them.

    If you have a network of computers, some running Windows and some running
    Linux, then they can be set up to access each others' files with the help
    of "Samba".

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 22, 2006
  9. TSB

    nubian Guest

    nubian, Mar 22, 2006
  10. TSB

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:39:08 -0600, nubian wrote:

    > TSB wrote:
    >> how to share and see linux files in window xp 2000 and vice versa
    >> i need to run windows ppt aplication on linux.
    >>
    >> cud u help me in this regard.
    >>

    > Google Samba.

    The OP hasn't actually told us whether this is a dual-boot or network
    scenario.......

    Gordon, Mar 22, 2006
  11. TSB

    nubian Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:39:08 -0600, nubian wrote:
    >
    >> TSB wrote:
    >>> how to share and see linux files in window xp 2000 and vice versa
    >>> i need to run windows ppt aplication on linux.
    >>>
    >>> cud u help me in this regard.
    >>>

    >> Google Samba.

    > The OP hasn't actually told us whether this is a dual-boot or network
    > scenario.......

    You are correct, I could have used a bit more thought in this post. Sorry.

    --
    nubian

    http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/index.html
    http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/vista.html
    nubian, Mar 22, 2006
  12. TSB

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:24:55 -0600, nubian wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:

    >>> Google Samba.

    >> The OP hasn't actually told us whether this is a dual-boot or network
    >> scenario.......
    >>

    > You are correct, I could have used a bit more thought in this post. Sorry.

    Well I've asked him once, with no reply.........I must admit the original
    COULD mean that it's a network question........

    Gordon, Mar 22, 2006
  13. TSB

    TSB Guest

    i have redhat 9.
    and i want to know about file sharing over Lan, ur sugestion abt dual
    boot is also welcomed.
    thanks
    TSB, Mar 23, 2006
  14. TSB

    TSB Guest

    thanks alot for ur repsonse
    is SAMBA availabe in linux fedora 5.
    and how to install it.

    thanks:)
    TSB, Mar 23, 2006
  15. TSB

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:33:22 -0800, TSB wrote:

    > i have redhat 9.
    > and i want to know about file sharing over Lan, ur sugestion abt dual
    > boot is also welcomed.
    > thanks

    In that case you need Samba.

    Gordon, Mar 23, 2006
  16. TSB

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-23, TSB <> wrote:
    > thanks alot for ur repsonse
    > is SAMBA availabe in linux fedora 5.
    > and how to install it.
    >
    > thanks:)

    Please include an 'attribution' line and enough 'quoted text' from the
    article you are responding to; otherwise people are left guessing what you
    are talking about.

    I would be astonished if FC5 lacked Samba. If you haven't found out yet
    how to find and install software packages for your chosen operating
    system, I suggest that you start with learning about that. There is
    probably some help accessible from the Fedora web site, and there may be
    newsgroups or web forums where users help each other. I've never used
    Fedora myself so I haven't looked ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 23, 2006
  17. Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2006-03-23, TSB <> wrote:
    >> thanks alot for ur repsonse
    >> is SAMBA availabe in linux fedora 5.
    >> and how to install it.
    >>
    >> thanks:)

    > Please include an 'attribution' line and enough 'quoted text' from the
    > article you are responding to; otherwise people are left guessing what you
    > are talking about.

    This will help.
    http://safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 23, 2006
  18. TSB

    Guest

    I have a sample /etc/samba/smb.conf file for you. It's all a matter of
    setting up permissions correctly.

    smb.conf:

    #
    # Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux.
    #
    #
    # This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
    # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
    # here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options most of which
    # are not shown in this example
    #
    # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
    # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
    # for commentary and a ; for parts of the config file that you
    # may wish to enable
    #
    # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
    # "testparm" to check that you have not many any basic syntactic
    # errors.
    #

    #======================= Global Settings =======================

    [global]

    ## Browsing/Identification ###

    # Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will
    part of
    workgroup = MSHOME

    # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

    # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
    # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS
    Server
    ; wins support = no

    # WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
    # Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
    both
    ; wins server = w.x.y.z

    # This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
    dns proxy = no

    # What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host
    names
    # to IP addresses
    ; name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

    #### Debugging/Accounting ####

    # This tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
    # that connects
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

    # Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
    max log size = 1000

    # If you want Samba to only log through syslog then set the following
    # parameter to 'yes'.
    ; syslog only = no

    # We want Samba to log a minimum amount of information to syslog.
    Everything
    # should go to /var/log/samba/log.{smbd,nmbd} instead. If you want to
    log
    # through syslog you should set the following parameter to something
    higher.
    syslog = 0

    # Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtrace

    ####### Authentication #######

    # "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix
    account
    # in this server for every user accessing the server. See
    # /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/ServerType.html in the samba-doc
    # package for details.
    security = share

    # You may wish to use password encryption. See the section on
    # 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.
    encrypt passwords = no

    obey pam restrictions = yes

    ; guest account = nobody
    invalid users = root

    # This boolean parameter controls whether Samba attempts to sync the
    Unix
    # password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password in the
    # passdb is changed.
    ; unix password sync = no

    # For Unix password sync to work on a Debian GNU/Linux system, the
    following
    # parameters must be set (thanks to Augustin Luton
    <> for
    # sending the correct chat script for the passwd program in Debian
    Potato).
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

    # This boolean controls whether PAM will be used for password changes
    # when requested by an SMB client instead of the program listed in
    # 'passwd program'. The default is 'no'.
    ; pam password change = no

    ########## Printing ##########

    # If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
    # than setting them up individually then you'll need this
    ; load printers = yes

    # lpr(ng) printing. You may wish to override the location of the
    # printcap file
    ; printing = bsd
    ; printcap name = /etc/printcap

    # CUPS printing. See also the cupsaddsmb(8) manpage in the
    # cupsys-client package.
    ; printing = cups
    ; printcap name = cups

    # When using [print$], root is implicitly a 'printer admin', but you
    can
    # also give this right to other users to add drivers and set printer
    # properties
    ; printer admin = @ntadmin

    ######## File sharing ########

    # Name mangling options
    ; preserve case = yes
    ; short preserve case = yes

    ############ Misc ############

    # Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
    # on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
    # of the machine that is connecting
    ; include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m

    # Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
    # See smb.conf(5) and /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/speed.html
    # for details
    # You may want to add the following on a Linux system:
    # SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY

    # The following parameter is useful only if you have the linpopup
    package
    # installed. The samba maintainer and the linpopup maintainer are
    # working to ease installation and configuration of linpopup and samba.
    ; message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm
    %s' &

    # Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. If
    this
    # machine will be configured as a BDC (a secondary logon server), you
    # must set this to 'no'; otherwise, the default behavior is
    recommended.
    ; domain master = auto

    # Some defaults for winbind (make sure you're not using the ranges
    # for something else.)
    ; idmap uid = 10000-20000
    ; idmap gid = 10000-20000
    ; template shell = /bin/bash

    #======================= Share Definitions =======================

    wins support = no
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no

    # By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change next
    # parameter to 'yes' if you want to be able to write to them.
    writable = yes

    # File creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want
    # create files with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
    create mask = 0775

    # Directory creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you
    want to
    # create dirs. with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
    directory mask = 0775

    # Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
    Logons
    # (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.)
    ;[netlogon]
    ; comment = Network Logon Service
    ; path = /home/samba/netlogon
    ; guest ok = yes
    ; writable = no
    ; share modes = no

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    path = /tmp
    printable = yes
    public = no
    writable = no
    create mode = 0700

    # Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
    # printer drivers
    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    guest ok = no
    # Uncomment to allow remote administration of Windows print drivers.
    # Replace 'ntadmin' with the name of the group your admin users are
    # members of.
    ; write list = root, @ntadmin

    # A sample share for sharing your CD-ROM with others.
    ;[cdrom]
    ; comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
    ; writable = no
    ; locking = no
    ; path = /cdrom
    ; public = yes

    # The next two parameters show how to auto-mount a CD-ROM when the
    # cdrom share is accesed. For this to work /etc/fstab must contain
    # an entry like this:
    #
    # /dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user 0 0
    #
    # The CD-ROM gets unmounted automatically after the connection to the
    #
    # If you don't want to use auto-mounting/unmounting make sure the CD
    # is mounted on /cdrom
    #
    ; preexec = /bin/mount /cdrom
    ; postexec = /bin/umount /cdrom

    [Public]
    comment = Public Folder
    path = /home/<USERNAME>/public
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    available = yes
    browseable = yes

    < END SMB.CONF FILE >

    Then, do the whole File > Connect to Server thingy and type in the
    server hostname and directory you would like to share. Then, the Linux
    box will automatically create a mountable network drive that will be
    pretty public. Make sure to "chmod 700" files and folders within those
    shared folders that you dont want people to modify, etc.

    Hope all is well.

    --Dylan

    www.entropyrss.blogspot.com
    , Mar 30, 2006