Linux vs Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 22, 2009.

  1. Google recently introduced its long-rumoured ChromeOS, a Web-centric
    operating system built around its Chrome browser. This is Linux-based, like
    the Android system it has successfully been offering for about the past
    year.

    Both are centred around the Internet. Android already runs on smartphones
    and netbooks. The difference with ChromeOS is that it is totally based
    around running apps via a Web browser, that is the apps reside on servers
    elsewhere in the cloud. User data is only stored on the local machine for
    caching purposes, nothing more.

    There will be some people, accustomed to the Microsoft model of software
    development, who will immediately start twitching at this: “two different
    products ... must consolidate into one ... save costsâ€. Forgetting, of
    course, that Google’s costs in developing its operating systems are only a
    tiny fraction of those that Microsoft has to incur in developing new
    versions of Windows.

    Google builds on the existing, highly-malleable Linux kernel. It doesn’t
    even have to write any device drivers. It just has to build the custom
    middle layer that provides a common interface, user services, network
    services, that kind of thing. Linux is already portable to a whole range of
    hardware architectures (ARM, MIPS, x86 etc), so there’s very little extra
    work to do in that regard.

    The only likely competition that Microsoft can offer for these devices,
    Windows Mobile, seems to be gradually decaying away (Desktop Windows is
    locked to the x86 architecture, which makes it a non-starter). Not that it
    was very functional to begin with—every vendor that adopted it had to spend
    effort developing their own interface on top to make it more palatable. With
    Google’s offerings, they can avoid this trouble.

    So what’s Microsoft to do? If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em. It can’t open-
    source Windows. But what’s to stop it building on what’s already been open-
    sourced?

    Microsoft Linux, anybody?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 22, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Google recently introduced its long-rumoured ChromeOS, a Web-centric
    > operating system built around its Chrome browser. This is Linux-based, like
    > the Android system it has successfully been offering for about the past
    > year.
    >
    > Both are centred around the Internet. Android already runs on smartphones
    > and netbooks. The difference with ChromeOS is that it is totally based
    > around running apps via a Web browser, that is the apps reside on servers
    > elsewhere in the cloud. User data is only stored on the local machine for
    > caching purposes, nothing more.
    >
    > There will be some people, accustomed to the Microsoft model of software
    > development, who will immediately start twitching at this: “two different
    > products ... must consolidate into one ... save costsâ€. Forgetting, of
    > course, that Google’s costs in developing its operating systems are only a
    > tiny fraction of those that Microsoft has to incur in developing new
    > versions of Windows.
    >
    > Google builds on the existing, highly-malleable Linux kernel. It doesn’t
    > even have to write any device drivers. It just has to build the custom
    > middle layer that provides a common interface, user services, network
    > services, that kind of thing. Linux is already portable to a whole range of
    > hardware architectures (ARM, MIPS, x86 etc), so there’s very little extra
    > work to do in that regard.
    >
    > The only likely competition that Microsoft can offer for these devices,
    > Windows Mobile, seems to be gradually decaying away (Desktop Windows is
    > locked to the x86 architecture, which makes it a non-starter). Not that it
    > was very functional to begin with—every vendor that adopted it had to spend
    > effort developing their own interface on top to make it more palatable. With
    > Google’s offerings, they can avoid this trouble.
    >
    > So what’s Microsoft to do? If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em. It can’t open-
    > source Windows. But what’s to stop it building on what’s already been open-
    > sourced?
    >
    > Microsoft Linux, anybody?

    "It turns out Microsoft wrote a "killer app" for Chrome OS, they've been
    working very very hard !" LOL
    at 0:22:00
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JyFbF7QFlY

    Microsoft probably had a chance with the introduction of Windows 7 to
    put a similar instant on Web OS onto all the new laptops, splashtop
    style but I don't think they see Google's big picture.

    victor, Nov 22, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:58:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Forgetting, of
    > course, that Google’s costs in developing its operating systems are only
    > a tiny fraction of those that Microsoft has to incur in developing new
    > versions of Windows.

    You appear to be in a position to comment on the financial affairs of Microsoft.

    What is the development cost for Microsoft WindowsXP stated as percentage of the gross revenue
    received for all installations of that version of MS Windows?

    Carnations, Nov 23, 2009