    Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    David
    Lobster, Jun 28, 2008

  2. Lobster

    cybuerke Guest

    "Lobster" <> wrote in message
    news:vwl9k.129136$2...
    > I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    > (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    > represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    > bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in terms
    > of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum must
    > have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >
    > This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    > AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    > compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >
    > I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate service
    > on my previous Windows laptop without problems.

    A comprehensive list of what's available here:
    http://www.voipnow.org/2008/06/the-definitive-guide-to-voip-for-linux-users.html

    Eueuwwww... Wash your mouth out this instant!
    cybuerke, Jun 28, 2008

  3. Lobster

    Soruk Guest

    On 2008-06-28, Lobster <> wrote:
    > I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    > (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    > represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    > bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    > terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    > must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >
    > This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    > AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    > compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >
    > I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    > service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.
    >
    > Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    > anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    I use Ekiga on my Linux laptop. I've not tried using it directly with
    Sipgate (it currently logs into my Trixbox - with dodgy cron job
    removed) but has logged on to Tesco Internet Phone and voipcheap.com
    (Betamax).

    It's at http://www.ekiga.org/ - indeed, it's possible the package
    management software on the Eee already knows about it and will install
    it upon request. (It's part of the standard fit for Fedora.)

    Soruk, Jun 28, 2008
  4. Lobster wrote:
    > I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    > (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    > represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    > bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    > terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    > must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >
    > This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    > AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    > compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >
    > I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    > service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.

    I haven't managed to get X-lite to work on my eecpc700.

    Someone has just sent me instructions on how to install Wengophone. I'll
    install it this week end and get back to you if it works
    (Wengo have changed track from their original VOIP activity, and are no
    longer giving user support. But it still works and you can still
    download their client from their website)

    There is also Twinkle, which should self-install using the EEEPC's
    Synaptic programme

    > Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    > anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    Bloatware takes away the whole point of the eeeeee
    Salvador Freemanson, Jun 28, 2008
  5. Lobster

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:40:20 +0200, Salvador Freemanson
    <> wrote:

    >Lobster wrote:
    >> I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    >> (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    >> represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    >> bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    >> terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    >> must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >>
    >> This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    >> AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    >> compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >>
    >> I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    >> service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.

    >I haven't managed to get X-lite to work on my eecpc700.
    >
    >Someone has just sent me instructions on how to install Wengophone. I'll
    >install it this week end and get back to you if it works
    >(Wengo have changed track from their original VOIP activity, and are no
    >longer giving user support. But it still works and you can still
    >download their client from their website)
    >
    >There is also Twinkle, which should self-install using the EEEPC's
    >Synaptic programme
    >>
    >> Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    >> anyone prove me wrong? ;-)
    >>

    >Bloatware takes away the whole point of the eeeeee

    I set up a soft phone on a friend's Eee. I tried several but the best
    one was SJphone. I got that to work with Voxalot no problems. You have
    to make a few adjustments to the settings on the SJphone client to
    improve the voice quality. I can't remember what, specifically, those
    adjustments were and not having the Eee here (as it isn't mine) I
    can't investigate.

    I was planning to get an Eee myself but I have waited to see what the
    competition is. The Acer 'Aspire One' looks good except for the low
    battery life (2hrs max) and the reported 0.3Mpixel camera - though,
    unless it has changed, was reported as 1.3Mpixel on cnet.co.uk.
    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, Jun 28, 2008
  6. Lobster

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:18:48 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:40:20 +0200, Salvador Freemanson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Lobster wrote:
    >>> I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    >>> (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    >>> represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    >>> bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    >>> terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    >>> must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >>>
    >>> This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    >>> AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    >>> compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    >>> service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.

    >>I haven't managed to get X-lite to work on my eecpc700.
    >>
    >>Someone has just sent me instructions on how to install Wengophone. I'll
    >>install it this week end and get back to you if it works
    >>(Wengo have changed track from their original VOIP activity, and are no
    >>longer giving user support. But it still works and you can still
    >>download their client from their website)
    >>
    >>There is also Twinkle, which should self-install using the EEEPC's
    >>Synaptic programme
    >>>
    >>> Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    >>> anyone prove me wrong? ;-)
    >>>

    >>Bloatware takes away the whole point of the eeeeee

    >I set up a soft phone on a friend's Eee. I tried several but the best
    >one was SJphone. I got that to work with Voxalot no problems. You have
    >to make a few adjustments to the settings on the SJphone client to
    >improve the voice quality. I can't remember what, specifically, those
    >adjustments were and not having the Eee here (as it isn't mine) I
    >can't investigate.

    Just to follow up, though not directly concerning your post, I also
    installed an alternative MSN client. I think it is called aMSN. It is
    MUCH better than the installed messenger (pidgin ?).

    ---
    Brian A, Jun 28, 2008
  7. In article <vwl9k.129136$2>,
    Lobster <> wrote:
    >I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    >(at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    >represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    >bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    >terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    >must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >
    >This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    >AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    >compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >
    >I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    >service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.
    >
    >Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    >anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    Zoiper

    http://www.zoiper.com/free.php

    Not open source, but free for what you need. (Cross platform too, so if
    there's a group of you on XP/Mac/Linux then you can all use the same
    "look and feel" application...

    If you want open source then there's Ekiga, but I find that very clunky,
    bloated and just over the top...

    X-Lite also ought to work, and I find that OK, but fiddly to configure.

    One advantage of Zoiper is that it will talk IAX as well as SIP, so if
    your provider offers IAX then use that if you can as it's much easier to
    get working through NAT firewalls, etc.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 28, 2008
  8. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <vwl9k.129136$2>,
    > Lobster <> wrote:
    >> I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    >> (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    >> represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    >> bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    >> terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    >> must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >>
    >> This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    >> AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    >> compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >>
    >> I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    >> service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.
    >>
    >> Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    >> anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    > Zoiper
    >
    > http://www.zoiper.com/free.php
    >
    > Not open source, but free for what you need. (Cross platform too, so if
    > there's a group of you on XP/Mac/Linux then you can all use the same
    > "look and feel" application...
    >
    > If you want open source then there's Ekiga, but I find that very clunky,
    > bloated and just over the top...
    >
    > X-Lite also ought to work, and I find that OK, but fiddly to configure.

    Thanks for the responses so far...

    As I said - total newbie at Linux here: the only version of x-lite that
    I've found is for XP... are you saying you can install that on a Linux
    machine and I don't need a special 'for Linux' version? X-lite would
    certainly be my preference if poss.

    David
    Lobster, Jun 28, 2008
  9. Lobster

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:51:28 +0100, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article <vwl9k.129136$2>,
    >> Lobster <> wrote:
    >>> I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    >>> (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    >>> represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    >>> bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    >>> terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    >>> must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >>>
    >>> This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    >>> AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    >>> compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    >>> service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.
    >>>
    >>> Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    >>> anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    >> Zoiper
    >>
    >> http://www.zoiper.com/free.php
    >>
    >> Not open source, but free for what you need. (Cross platform too, so if
    >> there's a group of you on XP/Mac/Linux then you can all use the same
    >> "look and feel" application...
    >>
    >> If you want open source then there's Ekiga, but I find that very clunky,
    >> bloated and just over the top...
    >>
    >> X-Lite also ought to work, and I find that OK, but fiddly to configure.

    >Thanks for the responses so far...
    >
    >As I said - total newbie at Linux here: the only version of x-lite that
    >I've found is for XP... are you saying you can install that on a Linux
    >machine and I don't need a special 'for Linux' version? X-lite would
    >certainly be my preference if poss.

    There is a version of x-lite for linux. That was one of the clients
    that I tried. I can't remember just what it was but I did get a
    problem with it. I tried Twinkle also.

    I did a quick search on Google. This is probably where I got x-lite
    from.
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Communications/Internet-Phone/X-Lite-5595.shtml
    However, I would go for SJphone.
    http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html

    I forgot to say that I installed Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10?) on the
    Eee first as it made installation of applications easier. Many
    applications can simply be installed automatically for you. It is
    worth trying Ubuntu. The latest version is 'Hardy Heron'.
    However, applications that are not in the repository will require a
    bit of technical knowledge to install. You will need, in some cases,
    to get the release notes or search for info. on how to do the
    installation.

    It is worth checking out Youtube. There are lots of videos on there
    about the Eee showing hardware add-ons among other things.

    One of the problems I got generally with the Eee is that, when
    installing or setting up some applications, I couldn't get to some of
    the controls because the windows were too big for the screen. This was
    after I had made adjustments to be able to move the windows above the
    top of the screen.
    I didn't try it but one idea I had was that might be possible
    circumvent this problem by using the remote desktop application ( I
    can't remember the name of it). It is built into Gutsy, it is easy to
    get it working and it works well. That way I might then be able to use
    another linux machine to set up the applications.

    ---
    Brian A, Jun 28, 2008
  10. In article <ylr9k.25494$2>,
    Lobster <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article <vwl9k.129136$2>,
    >> Lobster <> wrote:
    >>> I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    >>> (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    >>> represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    >>> bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    >>> terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    >>> must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >>>
    >>> This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    >>> AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    >>> compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    >>> service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.
    >>>
    >>> Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    >>> anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    >> Zoiper
    >>
    >> http://www.zoiper.com/free.php
    >>
    >> Not open source, but free for what you need. (Cross platform too, so if
    >> there's a group of you on XP/Mac/Linux then you can all use the same
    >> "look and feel" application...
    >>
    >> If you want open source then there's Ekiga, but I find that very clunky,
    >> bloated and just over the top...
    >>
    >> X-Lite also ought to work, and I find that OK, but fiddly to configure.

    >Thanks for the responses so far...
    >
    >As I said - total newbie at Linux here: the only version of x-lite that
    >I've found is for XP... are you saying you can install that on a Linux
    >machine and I don't need a special 'for Linux' version? X-lite would
    >certainly be my preference if poss.

    I was saying that Zoiper is cross platform, however last time I looked,
    x-lite was too:

    http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite-downloadsurvey.html

    Looks like they want your name & email address now...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 28, 2008
  11. Lobster

    Mark Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 08:13:32 +0100, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    >I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    >(at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    >represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    >bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    >terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    >must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >
    >This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    >AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    >compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >
    >I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    >service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.
    >
    >Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    >anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    IME, X-Lite on a EEEPC is a total basket case. After literally days
    trying everything I could find, and more mods/installs than I could
    keep track of, I gave up. Life is too short.

    Zoiper works exactly as it should from the word go and I have stuck
    with that.
    Mark, Jun 28, 2008
  12. Salvador Freemanson <> wrote:
    > There is also Twinkle, which should self-install using the EEEPC's
    > Synaptic programme

    I've been using Twinkle quite happily on Linux for a year or two. Copes
    quite happily with Sipgate, Finarea clones and various other accounts. I
    couldn't get Ekiga to work for some reason (that I can't remember, possibly
    to do with being behind NAT), but Twinkle is fine.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jun 28, 2008
  13. Lobster

    Steve Hayes Guest

    Lobster wrote:

    > I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    > (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    > represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    > bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    > terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    > must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >
    > This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    > AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    > compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >
    > I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    > service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.
    >
    > Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    > anyone prove me wrong? ;-)
    >
    > David

    Kphone can be installed via Synaptic and works for outgoing calls. I'm not
    getting any indication (screen or tone) for incoming calls but that could
    be a router port forwarding problem. In my case, I don't need to receive
    calls on the eee.

    When I first installed kphone, it was unusable due to incoming audio
    breaking up. Somewhere along the line, a software update fixed things. I
    think it was one of the eee-specific ones, perhaps Skype or web-radio.
    Looks like the problem was in the audio drivers rather than in kphone:
    other sip clients may have the same problem.

    I have kphone set to use OSS and read/write to /dev/dsp1 with a USB handset.
    Use /dev/dsp for the internal sound chip. The breakup problem affected
    both. If you encounter it (with kphone, x-lite or whatever), install all
    the audio-related updates.

    If you're using the standard eee desktop (as I am), I don't know of any way
    to install new apps to start from it. I start kphone with ctrl-alt-t for a
    console terminal and type "kphone".

    Regarding installing XP - I wouldn't do it since Linux is far more powerful
    and flexible though there is a steep learning curve (if much less than it
    used to be) before you can take advantage of it. If you have more than one
    Linux machine, look at ssh, sshfs and krdc when on the move. You soon won't
    be able to live without them.

    Good luck.

    Steve
    --
    -- remove colours from reply address -
    Steve Hayes, Jun 28, 2008
  14. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Steve Hayes wrote:

    > Regarding installing XP - I wouldn't do it since Linux is far more powerful
    > and flexible though there is a steep learning curve (if much less than it
    > used to be) before you can take advantage of it. If you have more than one
    > Linux machine, look at ssh, sshfs and krdc when on the move. You soon won't
    > be able to live without them.

    Mm, every time I mention swapping to XP I get this response! Not
    surprised, and TBH if this was my toy I'd probably bite the bullet and
    keep Linux, however I bought it for SWMBO, who can speak XP reasonably
    well, but has no interest in computers per se other than what she can
    get out of them and would not be inclined to learn a new OS.

    The ability to do the same things on the portable PC, in the same way as
    on the home desktop, does have a big pull.

    David
    Lobster, Jun 29, 2008
  15. Lobster

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:46:48 +0100, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    >Steve Hayes wrote:
    >
    >> Regarding installing XP - I wouldn't do it since Linux is far more powerful
    >> and flexible though there is a steep learning curve (if much less than it
    >> used to be) before you can take advantage of it. If you have more than one
    >> Linux machine, look at ssh, sshfs and krdc when on the move. You soon won't
    >> be able to live without them.

    >Mm, every time I mention swapping to XP I get this response! Not
    >surprised, and TBH if this was my toy I'd probably bite the bullet and
    >keep Linux, however I bought it for SWMBO, who can speak XP reasonably
    >well, but has no interest in computers per se other than what she can
    >get out of them and would not be inclined to learn a new OS.
    >
    >The ability to do the same things on the portable PC, in the same way as
    >on the home desktop, does have a big pull.
    >
    >David

    I can see what you mean about uniformity of desktops but there are
    disadvantages to XP, the most prominent has to be that it is likely to
    be sluggish when compared to Linux.
    I wouldn't stick with the Xandros disto though. I'd install the latest
    version of Ubuntu. If you've not seen that then you won't be able to
    fully appreciate what linux can offer you.
    It is easy to install Ubuntu but do find a 'how to' for the Eee. The
    main difference, as compared to a standard install, is that you don't
    want to have a swap file. You will need to supply a username and
    password during installation. If, later, you wish to omit the login
    screen you can do that but do make note of your login details as,
    unlike windows, Linux won't allow installs of anything without your
    permission.
    Once you have Ubuntu installed it is very easy to install lots of
    applications. Just go to the first menu on the left, scroll to the
    bottom, then find the type of application you are looking for. You are
    best to choose from the approved list as these are assured to work
    without any problems. Having said all that there are many
    applications, such as 'Open Office' - compatible with MS 'Word',
    Firefox etc. already installed.
    For email I'd recommend installing Mozilla 'Thunderbird' though there
    is an email client already installed.
    For the standard needs of browsing, emailing, word processing, picture
    managing, instant messaging (install 'aMSN') and web browsing, amongst
    other things, there is really no need at all to use windows - Ubuntu
    has all you'll need.
    The only problem I have with Ubuntu is the poor support for interface
    with mobile phones. However that is really a failing of manufacturers
    such as Nokia who should, IMO, have a Linux version of PC Suite.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

    ---
    Brian A, Jun 29, 2008
  16. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 08:13:32 +0100, Lobster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've just bought an ASUS EEE PC900
    >> (at http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm for the uninitiated) which
    >> represents my very first foray into Linux territory and I'm struggling a
    >> bit. I want to set it up for Voip, and don't know where to start in
    >> terms of looking for a client to install. I feel a bit like my old mum
    >> must have felt when she first started using a computer!
    >>
    >> This new machine is by definition pretty low-spec, and runs "GNU Linux"
    >> AFAICS - is there any particular client recommended, in terms of
    >> compatibility and ease of setup / use?
    >>
    >> I'm pretty new to Voip anyway, but used to run X-lite with Sipgate
    >> service on my previous Windows laptop without problems.
    >>
    >> Can't help feeling I'm going to have to install XP on the machine -
    >> anyone prove me wrong? ;-)

    > IME, X-Lite on a EEEPC is a total basket case. After literally days
    > trying everything I could find, and more mods/installs than I could
    > keep track of, I gave up. Life is too short.
    >
    > Zoiper works exactly as it should from the word go and I have stuck
    > with that.

    Well, have gone with Zoiper if only because it seemed to pull the most
    votes here!

    I'm really struggling to get my head round this Linux thingy though, and
    suspect that my knowledge/expertise on it is so low I just can't find
    the info I need.

    I've downloaded the .tar installation file, clicked on it, and it seemed
    to install and run itself, whereupon I entered my personal settings (for
    Sipgate). I was then able to make a phone call (more of that below).
    However, when I closed down Zoiper, it seemed to vanish completely -
    whered'it go? I eventually opened the .tar file again (to re-install
    it?) which I did (I think) and found my settings already in place.
    What's going on?

    Secondly, when I was talking over Zoiper, the sound quality was dreadful
    - breaking up very badly in both directions. On a second laptop
    side-by-side running XP x-lite, calling the same number, the sound was
    fine. How do I solve that one?

    Thanks
    David
    Lobster, Jun 29, 2008
  17. Lobster

    Mark Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:25:51 +0100, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >I've downloaded the .tar installation file, clicked on it, and it seemed
    >to install and run itself, whereupon I entered my personal settings (for
    >Sipgate). I was then able to make a phone call (more of that below).
    >However, when I closed down Zoiper, it seemed to vanish completely -
    >whered'it go? I eventually opened the .tar file again (to re-install
    >it?) which I did (I think) and found my settings already in place.
    >What's going on?

    I run it from a command window, opened with CTRL-ALT-T.
    In my case it's been copied to /opt/zoiper, so I just type ./zoiper
    from that directory which has the executable file in it.

    If it's on the disk you can locate it by typing this into the command
    window:

    cd / ; find | grep zoiper

    >Secondly, when I was talking over Zoiper, the sound quality was dreadful
    >- breaking up very badly in both directions. On a second laptop
    >side-by-side running XP x-lite, calling the same number, the sound was
    >fine. How do I solve that one?

    Are you:

    - using a headset instead of the EEEPC's in-built speaker & mike?
    - setting the mike/speaker levels correctly?

    HTH,

    Mark
    Mark, Jun 29, 2008
  18. In article <>,
    Mark <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:25:51 +0100, Lobster
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >[snip]
    >

    >>I've downloaded the .tar installation file, clicked on it, and it seemed
    >>to install and run itself, whereupon I entered my personal settings (for
    >>Sipgate). I was then able to make a phone call (more of that below).
    >>However, when I closed down Zoiper, it seemed to vanish completely -
    >>whered'it go? I eventually opened the .tar file again (to re-install
    >>it?) which I did (I think) and found my settings already in place.
    >>What's going on?

    >I run it from a command window, opened with CTRL-ALT-T.
    >In my case it's been copied to /opt/zoiper, so I just type ./zoiper
    >from that directory which has the executable file in it.
    >
    >If it's on the disk you can locate it by typing this into the command
    >window:
    >
    >cd / ; find | grep zoiper

    From the "there's more than one way to do it" department:

    locate zoiper
    or
    find / -name zoiper

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 30, 2008
  19. Lobster

    Mark Evans Guest

    Mark Evans, Jun 30, 2008
  20. Lobster

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:31:01 +0100, Mark <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:25:51 +0100, Lobster
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >[snip]
    >

    >>I've downloaded the .tar installation file, clicked on it, and it seemed
    >>to install and run itself, whereupon I entered my personal settings (for
    >>Sipgate). I was then able to make a phone call (more of that below).
    >>However, when I closed down Zoiper, it seemed to vanish completely -
    >>whered'it go? I eventually opened the .tar file again (to re-install
    >>it?) which I did (I think) and found my settings already in place.
    >>What's going on?

    >I run it from a command window, opened with CTRL-ALT-T.
    >In my case it's been copied to /opt/zoiper, so I just type ./zoiper
    >from that directory which has the executable file in it.
    >
    >If it's on the disk you can locate it by typing this into the command
    >window:

    Alternatively, create a 'shortcut' link to your desktop using this
    command:-
    http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ln.htm

    >>Secondly, when I was talking over Zoiper, the sound quality was dreadful
    >>- breaking up very badly in both directions. On a second laptop
    >>side-by-side running XP x-lite, calling the same number, the sound was
    >>fine. How do I solve that one?

    I am not familiar with this software but I would imagine that
    somewhere there will be some buffer settings. Find those and increase
    the time. I found a similar thing when setting up SJphone and that is
    how I solved the problem.

    ---
    Brian A, Jun 30, 2008