Linux users and backups

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by troglodyte, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. troglodyte

    troglodyte Guest

    How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet figured out how to use a
    cdr more than once. as in multisession

    If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
    for the program.

    Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?
    troglodyte, Sep 28, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. troglodyte

    Mackin Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    > k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    > figured out how to use a
    > cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >
    > If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    > later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
    > for the program.
    >
    > Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?


    After you've created your project and clicked the "Burn" button, click the
    "Settings" tab in the resulting dialog. There you can select "No
    Multisession", "Start Multisession", "Continue Multisession" & "Finish
    Multisession"

    Hope this helps,

    Mackin
    Mackin, Sep 28, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. troglodyte

    troglodyte Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:40:24 +1200, Mackin wrote:

    > troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    >> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    >> figured out how to use a
    >> cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >>
    >> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    >> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
    >> for the program.
    >>
    >> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

    >
    > After you've created your project and clicked the "Burn" button, click the
    > "Settings" tab in the resulting dialog. There you can select "No
    > Multisession", "Start Multisession", "Continue Multisession" & "Finish
    > Multisession"
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Mackin


    thanks man. tried that. already worked through that one but it seems it
    will only allow me to write the one session., In other words, If I click
    the multisession it brings up an error. cant append disk etc.

    It will only write the one session.
    troglodyte, Sep 28, 2004
    #3
  4. troglodyte

    Mackin Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:40:24 +1200, Mackin wrote:
    >
    >> troglodyte wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    >>> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    >>> figured out how to use a
    >>> cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >>>
    >>> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    >>> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a
    >>> manual for the program.
    >>>
    >>> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

    >>
    >> After you've created your project and clicked the "Burn" button, click
    >> the "Settings" tab in the resulting dialog. There you can select "No
    >> Multisession", "Start Multisession", "Continue Multisession" & "Finish
    >> Multisession"
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >>
    >> Mackin

    >
    > thanks man. tried that. already worked through that one but it seems it
    > will only allow me to write the one session., In other words, If I click
    > the multisession it brings up an error. cant append disk etc.
    >
    > It will only write the one session.


    Ahh, well you didn't say you were getting an error, you said you didn't know
    how to use it. Please be more specific.

    What does the error say?

    Mackin.
    Mackin, Sep 28, 2004
    #4
  5. troglodyte

    troglodyte Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:00:16 +1200, Mackin wrote:

    > troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:40:24 +1200, Mackin wrote:
    >>
    >>> troglodyte wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    >>>> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    >>>> figured out how to use a
    >>>> cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >>>>
    >>>> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    >>>> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a
    >>>> manual for the program.
    >>>>
    >>>> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?
    >>>
    >>> After you've created your project and clicked the "Burn" button, click
    >>> the "Settings" tab in the resulting dialog. There you can select "No
    >>> Multisession", "Start Multisession", "Continue Multisession" & "Finish
    >>> Multisession"
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps,
    >>>
    >>> Mackin

    >>
    >> thanks man. tried that. already worked through that one but it seems it
    >> will only allow me to write the one session., In other words, If I click
    >> the multisession it brings up an error. cant append disk etc.
    >>
    >> It will only write the one session.

    >
    > Ahh, well you didn't say you were getting an error, you said you didn't know
    > how to use it. Please be more specific.
    >
    > What does the error say?
    >
    > Mackin.

    From what I can see its a code 1. There's a whole mass of other data.
    Basiclly it failed. It's a lack of instruction or knowledge on my part.
    For the lack of any instruction manual. first of all I clicked multi session.
    I think the the experiment failed at first as the file I wanted to burn
    was to small. if thats possible.

    I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
    cents a disk init ?

    I think part of my probelm is a lack of understanding of the program. And
    understanding of any faults that it may have. Or tolerances.

    sometimes i just need to back up some data files and address's. that all
    really. nothing major. would take me a year to fill a cdr with data or
    stuff Ive kept off the net.
    troglodyte, Sep 28, 2004
    #5
  6. troglodyte

    Allistar Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    > k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    > figured out how to use a
    > cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >
    > If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    > later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
    > for the program.
    >
    > Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?


    An alternatuive way to backup (if you have a second computer on the LAN/WAN)
    is to simply copy files across the network using scp (or rsync). That is
    the primary way I backup critical data to many computers - settuping up a
    cron job to do this is easy.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Sep 29, 2004
    #6
  7. troglodyte

    BrianM Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:09:19 +1200, troglodyte wrote:

    > How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    > k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    > figured out how to use a cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >
    > If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    > later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a
    > manual for the program.
    >
    > Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?


    Hi trog.
    I use a 128Mb USB stick for vital data.
    works perfectly in Mandrake 10.

    chees
    BrianM
    BrianM, Sep 29, 2004
    #7
  8. In article <>,
    "troglodyte" <> wrote:

    >I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
    >cents a disk init ?


    There is also the risk that, if a burn fails with an error, it could
    render previous sessions on that disc unreadable.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 29, 2004
    #8
  9. troglodyte

    steve Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    > k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    > figured out how to use a
    > cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >
    > If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    > later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
    > for the program.
    >
    > Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?


    XCDRoast allows multi-session CDs. It can handle DVD writers as well (if you
    add a plugin).

    I prefer it to K3b by a LONG way.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1248
    ClimatePrediction.net
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/cpdn/stats.php?userID=334
    steve, Sep 29, 2004
    #9
  10. troglodyte

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "troglodyte" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
    >>cents a disk init ?

    >
    > There is also the risk that, if a burn fails with an error, it could
    > render previous sessions on that disc unreadable.


    I haven't used multi-session since the last time I lost all the data on a CD
    (in Win98SE).....

    CD-R are cheap enough that I don't bother with multi-session at all.

    Hard drives are cheap enough I don't bother with CD-Rs. Chances are the hard
    drive will still work after the CD-R has become unreadable. :-(

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1248
    ClimatePrediction.net
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/cpdn/stats.php?userID=334
    steve, Sep 29, 2004
    #10
  11. troglodyte

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:27:04 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> "troglodyte" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
    >>>cents a disk init ?

    >>
    >> There is also the risk that, if a burn fails with an error, it could
    >> render previous sessions on that disc unreadable.

    >
    >I haven't used multi-session since the last time I lost all the data on a CD
    >(in Win98SE).....
    >
    >CD-R are cheap enough that I don't bother with multi-session at all.
    >
    >Hard drives are cheap enough I don't bother with CD-Rs. Chances are the hard
    >drive will still work after the CD-R has become unreadable. :-(


    OK, if thats the case then - I back up to DVDs and CDs now and have
    multiple copies of things on my server - will a HDD last longer if
    it's in daily use or if it's taken out and put in a cupboard for a
    year? Opinions?
    Italian Jobs, Sep 29, 2004
    #11
  12. troglodyte

    EMB Guest

    Italian Jobs wrote:

    > OK, if thats the case then - I back up to DVDs and CDs now and have
    > multiple copies of things on my server - will a HDD last longer if
    > it's in daily use or if it's taken out and put in a cupboard for a
    > year? Opinions?


    IME a lot HDD's don't much like starting up after having sat for a while
    (percussive maintenance usually fixes that).

    I'll probably get flamed for this (and Woger will be in with tales of
    bit rot) but I'm pretty well sold on tape for backups. I've still got
    readable tapes from 1995 hanging around, although I restore them and
    back them up again onto new media every 3 years or so (as my backup
    media type changes). My backup software yells at me when it feels that
    tapes are getting old enough to be unreliable and reminds me to do
    something about them too. CD's just don't hold enough data and in my
    opinion the jury is still out of the lifespan of DVD-R media.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Sep 29, 2004
    #12
  13. troglodyte

    troglodyte Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:29:13 +1200, BrianM wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:09:19 +1200, troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    >> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    >> figured out how to use a cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >>
    >> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    >> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a
    >> manual for the program.
    >>
    >> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

    >
    > Hi trog.
    > I use a 128Mb USB stick for vital data.
    > works perfectly in Mandrake 10.
    >
    > chees
    > BrianM


    No woirries there brian. I got the memory stick. Got that monuted okay
    too. Its handy for coping xp data to too and then dragging it thought to
    linux aye.
    troglodyte, Sep 30, 2004
    #13
  14. troglodyte

    troglodyte Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:05:12 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >> How do you guys backup you linux work ? I ahve found something called
    >> k3b. Very much like nero. But I have a probelm with it. As yet I havnet
    >> figured out how to use a
    >> cdr more than once. as in multisession
    >>
    >> If i burn say one data file to a cdr it wont let me burn another file
    >> later to add to it. It fixes it. Anyideas ? cant seem to find a manual
    >> for the program.
    >>
    >> Other than that, if anyone has a better suggestion ?

    >
    > An alternatuive way to backup (if you have a second computer on the LAN/WAN)
    > is to simply copy files across the network using scp (or rsync). That is
    > the primary way I backup critical data to many computers - settuping up a
    > cron job to do this is easy.
    >
    > Allistar.


    this is just a stand aloan
    troglodyte, Sep 30, 2004
    #14
  15. troglodyte

    troglodyte Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:27:04 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> "troglodyte" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think Ill just burn one cd a week as a back up. Hell, its only about 30
    >>>cents a disk init ?

    >>
    >> There is also the risk that, if a burn fails with an error, it could
    >> render previous sessions on that disc unreadable.

    >
    > I haven't used multi-session since the last time I lost all the data on a CD
    > (in Win98SE).....
    >
    > CD-R are cheap enough that I don't bother with multi-session at all.
    >
    > Hard drives are cheap enough I don't bother with CD-Rs. Chances are the hard
    > drive will still work after the CD-R has become unreadable. :-(


    Already thought of that one. but I'm still wroking on haps of stuff here.
    Im kinda there with getting the second h/d to mount but the its ehhh,
    coming together
    troglodyte, Sep 30, 2004
    #15
  16. In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >CD-R are cheap enough that I don't bother with multi-session at all.


    Entirely reasonable.

    >Hard drives are cheap enough I don't bother with CD-Rs. Chances are the hard
    >drive will still work after the CD-R has become unreadable. :-(


    I would say, don't bet on it. I've personally suffered about 5 hard
    drive failures in the last 6 years, across the 4 (now 5) machines I own.
    And that's not counting the failures suffered by my clients. By
    contrast, I've had maybe 1 or 2 CD-R failures among the hundreds I've
    burnt in that time.

    So no way would I claim that hard drives were anywhere near as reliable
    as CD-R.

    (CD-RW is a different matter...)
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 30, 2004
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Software Mania

    BACKUPS, BACKUPS, & BACKUPS.

    Software Mania, Sep 3, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,123
    John Agosta
    Nov 11, 2003
  2. mr j nott

    outlook express and backups

    mr j nott, Feb 14, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    373
    Sultan
    Feb 14, 2004
  3. Mr User

    Drive letters and backups

    Mr User, Oct 1, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    530
    Mr User
    Oct 3, 2006
  4. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    648
    thanatoid
    Oct 21, 2007
  5. Have a nice cup of pee

    Linux... yeah linux.. Linux

    Have a nice cup of pee, Apr 12, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    646
    Bette Noir
    Apr 17, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page