Linux user signs up for Microsoft patent immunity

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mickey Mouse, Jun 9, 2007.

  1. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Mickey Mouse, Jun 9, 2007

  2. Mickey Mouse

    peterwn Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > LG signs a deal with Microsoft, granting it immunity from patent legal
    > action over its use of Linux.
    >
    > http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199902101

    What this tells us, Mr M$ astroturfer and shill, is that LG were
    probably about to ream M$, or that M$ wanted some big favours out of LG,
    so M$ tacked the Linux aspect on to the deal.

    It is interesting is not it, that M$ has refused to give the 250 or so
    patent numbers in question, claiming that it was 'too busy' to deal with
    the fallout. The real problem IMO is that they are just full of hot air.

    There must be a time when public and private bodies in NZ, as well as
    churches, charities, schools, etc says 'enough is enough' - we are not
    going to do business with protection racketeers any more.
    peterwn, Jun 9, 2007

  3. On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:37:01 +1200, peterwn wrote:

    > There must be a time when public and private bodies in NZ, as well as
    > churches, charities, schools, etc says 'enough is enough' - we are not
    > going to do business with protection racketeers any more.

    I note that Xandros has joined Suse as a Microsoft "partner".
    Abstract Reasoning, Jun 9, 2007
  4. Mickey Mouse

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:17:04 +1200, Abstract Reasoning wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:37:01 +1200, peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> There must be a time when public and private bodies in NZ, as well as
    >> churches, charities, schools, etc says 'enough is enough' - we are not
    >> going to do business with protection racketeers any more.

    > I note that Xandros has joined Suse as a Microsoft "partner".

    Good, we need to get to the wire.

    The fight is on.

    First they ignore you
    Then they laugh at you
    Then they fight you
    Then you win
    Gordon, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Mickey Mouse

    BrianM Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:17:04 +1200, Abstract Reasoning wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:37:01 +1200, peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> There must be a time when public and private bodies in NZ, as well as
    >> churches, charities, schools, etc says 'enough is enough' - we are not
    >> going to do business with protection racketeers any more.

    > I note that Xandros has joined Suse as a Microsoft "partner".

    Now that is interesting - it puts Ms into a win-win position.
    It can now dictate to the business community what Linux
    systems are "MS patent protected", and get a cut. If the 2
    current "partners" go titsup, then that's 2 down and 3 to go - right on
    target, the other 3 being Mandrake Red Hat and Linspire. I don't
    think Ms is interested in the non-commercial distros like Debian, Slack
    Ubuntu etc - can't see them hurting it commercially.
    The new version of the GPL is going to be interesting. Here's a
    paraphrased section from
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/18/gpl_microsoft_novell/
    "the GPL 3 will feature a clause discouraging other Linux companies from
    following the example of Novell and entering into protection agreements. Moglen
    said: "If you make deals with a party having patents, to pay tribute to
    that party, in return for protecting some but not all of your customers...
    you are violating the license, and you must stop distributing
    altogether.""

    Will the remaining commercial Linux distros have more
    balls than the other two? - I can't see it.

    Interesting times ahead.
    brianM
    BrianM, Jun 10, 2007