    growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux bandwagon.
    Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has climbed 14%.
    What a shame!
    impossible, Oct 9, 2008

  2. "impossible" <> wrote in message
    news:zxcHk.378703$yE1.192520@attbi_s21...
    > One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then
    > by February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone
    > expecting it to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short
    > months, the growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux
    > bandwagon. Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has
    > climbed 14%. What a shame!

    Where are those figures from?

    Windows XP 71.83%
    Vista 15.56%
    MacIntel 4.98%
    Mac OS 2.74%
    Windows 2000 2.22%
    Linux 0.75%

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/rep...qpdt=1&qpct=3&qpcal=1&qptimeframe=Y&qpsp=2008

    Of course due to the data collection these number represent "desktop" users
    only.

    J&H.
    Jekyll and Hyde, Oct 9, 2008

  3. Re: Linux use growing

    In message <48ed7845$>, thingy wrote:

    > Even registering 2% desktops is pretty good IMHO...

    Could see more in future. The UK reported PC sales channel market share of
    2.8% in June
    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,
    showing a growing trend since the beginning of the year.

    Seems to have benefited from the introduction of Vista. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008
  4. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-09, impossible <> wrote:
    > One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then by
    > February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone expecting it
    > to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short months, the
    > growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux bandwagon.
    > Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has climbed 14%.
    > What a shame!

    Ms Penguin has just come in from the real world, shae says you are a troll.
    At best you are so 1999.
    Gordon, Oct 9, 2008
  5. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 00:48:31 GMT, impossible wrote:

    > One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then by
    > February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone expecting it
    > to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short months, the
    > growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux bandwagon.
    > Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has climbed 14%.
    > What a shame!

    They give it away for free and still nobody wants it. Just shows what a
    load of shit it is, ay?

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Oct 9, 2008
  6. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    Re: Linux use growing

    "Linux use growing"

    How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
    must be 0.00000001% or some shit. Lol.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Oct 9, 2008
  7. impossible

    impossible Guest

    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    impossible, Oct 9, 2008
  8. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> How do they distinguish different machines behind a NAT firewall, or
    >>> behind
    >>> a proxy server?

    >> Not really up on it, I think there is a query on what browser in order
    >> for the web server to determine how to display, you can even forge it if
    >> you want to.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> thing
    >>

    > 2% from negligable is still a good % expansion....it also depends on where
    > or what sites they measured off...if it was MSN or hotmail I'd expect a
    > biased result, if it was google then closer to the "truth".
    >
    > Whats also interesting was 14% for Mac Os up from 4% (I think it was) for
    > many years. If people ask me I pretty much suggest a Mac if starting from
    > scratch...way less "real" security issues....

    up 14% means up from 4.95% in Feb 2008 to 5.62% in Sept 2008.

    > Not sure when that climb started, when vista was released maybe?

    Vista use first edged past Mac OS X back in December 2007.
    impossible, Oct 9, 2008
  9. Re: Linux use growing

    In message <>, Will Spencer wrote:

    >In message <gck5p0$pp7$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <48ed7845$>, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >> Even registering 2% desktops is pretty good IMHO...
    >>
    >> Could see more in future. The UK reported PC sales channel market share

    of
    >> 2.8% in June

    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,
    >> showing a growing trend since the beginning of the year.
    >>
    >> Seems to have benefited from the introduction of Vista. :)

    > "Linux use growing"
    >
    > How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
    > must be 0.00000001% or some shit. Lol.

    Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol, that
    Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of Vista,
    Lol.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008
  10. Re: Linux use growing

    In message <48ed8c92$>, thingy wrote:

    > 2% from negligable is still a good % expansion....it also depends on
    > where or what sites they measured off...if it was MSN or hotmail I'd
    > expect a biased result, if it was google then closer to the "truth".
    >
    > Whats also interesting was 14% for Mac Os up from 4% (I think it was)
    > for many years.

    Which shows just how wildly out the figures are. Even in the US, Apple's
    market share is only up to 8%, slightly over 3% worldwide.

    Here's another measure of Linux market penetration: it seems you can't pick
    up any computer magazine these days, without seeing pages and pages devoted
    to Linux--much more so than for Macs. This is no momentary fad, it seems to
    have been growing for the last five years or so.

    Now, those magazines are in the business to make money, so clearly their
    readership is welcoming that coverage, otherwise they would have dropped
    it. Taking things in proportion, then Linux penetration among readers of
    computer magazines must be at least 10%.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008
  11. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    Re: Linux use growing

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 00:25:44 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Will Spencer wrote:
    >
    >>In message <gck5p0$pp7$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In message <48ed7845$>, thingy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Even registering 2% desktops is pretty good IMHO...
    >>>
    >>> Could see more in future. The UK reported PC sales channel market share

    > of
    >>> 2.8% in June
    >>>

    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,
    >>> showing a growing trend since the beginning of the year.
    >>>
    >>> Seems to have benefited from the introduction of Vista. :)

    >> "Linux use growing"
    >>
    >> How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
    >> must be 0.00000001% or some shit. Lol.

    > Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol, that
    > Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of Vista,
    > Lol.

    28 times? Heard it all before over the years and decades. 30 times, 10
    times, 50 times, 60 times. The fact is, you talk a load of complete shit
    buddy. Linux is a piece of crap that you give away for free and still
    nobody uses it. Lol, loser.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Oct 9, 2008
  12. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    Re: Linux use growing

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 06:31:51 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> of
    >>>>

    >> <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,

    >>> "Linux use growing"
    >>>
    >>> How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
    >>> must be 0.00000001% or some shit. Lol.

    >> Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol, that
    >> Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of Vista,
    >> Lol.

    > dont confuse him with Maths or logic....he is obviously a very
    > challenged person...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I guess you enjoy the fantasy would you live in where Linux is always
    growing and the latest Windows release is always declining. I guess that's
    why you call yourself "Thing", ay? Too bad the thing is a piece of dog
    turd.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Oct 9, 2008
  13. Re: Linux use growing

    In message <vauoceukojy7.81j02e1qr9yi$>, Will Spencer wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 00:25:44 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Will Spencer
    >> wrote:

    >> of

    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,

    >>> "Linux use growing"
    >>>
    >>> How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
    >>> must be 0.00000001% or some shit. Lol.

    >> Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol,
    >> that Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of
    >> Vista, Lol.

    > 28 times? Heard it all before over the years and decades ...

    Really?? When did you hear of such an increase in Linux market share before?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008
  14. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    Re: Linux use growing

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:34:36 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <vauoceukojy7.81j02e1qr9yi$>, Will Spencer wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 00:25:44 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> of
    >>>>>

    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,

    >>> Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol,
    >>> that Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of
    >>> Vista, Lol.

    >> 28 times? Heard it all before over the years and decades ...

    > Really?? When did you hear of such an increase in Linux market share before?

    Every year since it came out.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Oct 9, 2008
  15. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Re: Linux use growing

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <48ed8c92$>, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> 2% from negligable is still a good % expansion....it also depends on
    >>> where or what sites they measured off...if it was MSN or hotmail I'd
    >>> expect a biased result, if it was google then closer to the "truth".
    >>>
    >>> Whats also interesting was 14% for Mac Os up from 4% (I think it was)
    >>> for many years.

    >> Which shows just how wildly out the figures are. Even in the US, Apple's
    >> market share is only up to 8%, slightly over 3% worldwide.
    >>
    >> Here's another measure of Linux market penetration: it seems you can't
    >> pick
    >> up any computer magazine these days, without seeing pages and pages
    >> devoted
    >> to Linux--much more so than for Macs. This is no momentary fad, it seems
    >> have been growing for the last five years or so.
    >>
    >> Now, those magazines are in the business to make money, so clearly their
    >> readership is welcoming that coverage, otherwise they would have dropped
    >> it. Taking things in proportion, then Linux penetration among readers of
    >> computer magazines must be at least 10%.

    > I think the underlying trend for MS is bad....for youngsters it used to be
    > cool to run the latest MS OS....these days only the computer illiterate
    > think its cool, the geeks have moved on....

    What trend?! There's no evidence that use of Linux is growing at all --
    quite the opposite.

    > A recent article expected Linux's server deployment to stay stable through
    > this recession or even improve its certainly proving the case with
    > us....before the $s were tight MS was the easy choice....now our Linux
    > site licence means un-limited Red Hat which just decimates Windows due to
    > its per server or per cpu costs...

    You've been declaring Windows to be "decimated" for 10 years.
    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  16. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> How are these stats arrived at?
    >>>
    >>> I've installed Linux on numerous computers and I've never told anyone
    >>> about
    >>> it - so how do they know?
    >>> --

    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > That's a count of people who visit particular sites with a browser that
    > reports their OS, and it makes the assumption that the user agent provided
    > by the browser is accurate. I have a couple of Linux installations that I
    > never use a browser on. They are not counted.
    > --

    w3counter provides an **estimate** of usage, not a census. You're welcome to
    finance a box-by-box census if you like that would include your 2 Linux
    machines. But be careful what you wish for -- you'd also have to count the
    millions of non-Linux machines that are busy running something besides a
    browser, and so the result is unlikely to be flattering to you. If anything
    a net-based usage tracker is probably **over-estimating** Linux usage,
    because -- after all, browsing is the main thing that Linux desktop boxes
    are used for.
    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  17. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Jekyll and Hyde" <jekyll&> wrote in message
    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then
    >> by February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone
    >> expecting it to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short
    >> months, the growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux
    >> bandwagon. Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has
    >> climbed 14%. What a shame!

    > Where are those figures from?

    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    And these estimates are close enough to confirm.

    > Windows XP 71.83%
    > Vista 15.56%
    > MacIntel 4.98%
    > Mac OS 2.74%
    > Windows 2000 2.22%
    > Linux 0.75%
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/rep...qpdt=1&qpct=3&qpcal=1&qptimeframe=Y&qpsp=2008
    >
    > Of course due to the data collection these number represent "desktop"
    > users only.

    Yes. Here's a report on web-server market share:

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2008/09/30/september_2008_web_server_survey.html
    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  18. Re: Linux use growing

    In message <pe9n26x93ps4.1qtdiuuha26v3$>, Will Spencer wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:34:36 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <vauoceukojy7.81j02e1qr9yi$>, Will Spencer
    >> wrote:

    >>> 28 times? Heard it all before over the years and decades ...

    >> Really?? When did you hear of such an increase in Linux market share
    >> before?

    > Every year since it came out.

    Preinstallations through sales channels? Cite?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008
  19. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> That's a count of people who visit particular sites with a browser that
    >>> reports their OS, and it makes the assumption that the user agent
    >>> provided by the browser is accurate. I have a couple of Linux
    >>> installations that I never use a browser on. They are not counted.
    >>> --

    >> w3counter provides an **estimate** of usage, not a census. You're welcome
    >> to finance a box-by-box census if you like that would include your 2
    >> Linux
    >> machines. But be careful what you wish for -- you'd also have to count
    >> the
    >> millions of non-Linux machines that are busy running something besides a
    >> browser, and so the result is unlikely to be flattering to you.

    > Flattering to me? I couldn't care less what OS's people use - I'm
    > pro-choice.

    Then why does the evidence about what people actually choose bother you so
    much?

    >> If
    >> anything a net-based usage tracker is probably **over-estimating** Linux
    >> usage,
    >> because -- after all, browsing is the main thing that Linux desktop
    >> boxes
    >> are used for.

    > I don't see how you come to that conclusion.
    > --

    What is it that you doubt? That Linux desktop boxes are primarily used for
    browsing? That Windows desktop boxes spend a proportionately much greater
    time doing other productive work for which their desktop applications were
    designed?
    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  20. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> Flattering to me? I couldn't care less what OS's people use - I'm
    >>> pro-choice.
    >>>

    >> Then why does the evidence about what people actually choose bother you
    >> so
    >> much?

    > It doesn't. Not one single bit. What bothers me is people outright lying
    > when they say that the tools that I use - that I make a living off - are
    > not suited for normal everyday use. Here's a fact: they are perfectly
    > suited for everyday use for me, and also for others.

    For you maybe -- not for everyone, as the evidence clearly shows. Linux use
    is stagnating because few of the desktops applications that users wabt to
    run will run on Linux.
    ..

    >>> I don't see how you come to that conclusion.

    >> What is it that you doubt? That Linux desktop boxes are primarily used
    >> for
    >> browsing? That Windows desktop boxes spend a proportionately much greater
    >> time doing other productive work for which their desktop applications
    >> were
    >> designed?

    > I'm calling you on your assertion that "after all, browing is the main
    > thing
    > that Linux desktop boxes are used for". How do you come to that
    > conclusion?
    > --

    Lack of any other useful desktop applications.
    impossible, Oct 10, 2008