    be great....

    Best regards,
    Tom
    cakecam, Jan 13, 2009

  2. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:18:26 -0800, cakecam wrote:

    > I'm looking for some up-to-date market share stats for Linux/Unix
    > servers and Microsoft servers. I prefer data of market share of
    > previously years too - to see the development in market share.
    >
    > Multiple, different independent sources with market share stats would be
    > great....
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tom

    Google:

    Linux + Unix + Microsoft + servers + market share

    And you'll get:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 339,000

    Windoze still leads in market share, but Apache is the most widely used
    HTTP-server in the world today.

    Perhaps 'free' isn't included in the concept of 'market share'.....!

    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot
    of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

    -- Wizard Of Oz
    Gaston Ryan Coake, Jan 13, 2009

  3. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:18:26 -0800, cakecam wrote:

    > I'm looking for some up-to-date market share stats for Linux/Unix
    > servers and Microsoft servers. I prefer data of market share of
    > previously years too - to see the development in market share.
    >
    > Multiple, different independent sources with market share stats would
    > be great....
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tom

    Can't give exact figures, but Ballmer stated:

    "Forty percent of servers run Windows, 60 percent run Linux," he said. "How
    are we doing? Forty is less than 60, so I don't like it. ... We have some
    work to do."

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

    Major organisations like IBM, Amazon & Google run Linux.
    William Poaster, Jan 13, 2009
  4. On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:55:03 +0000, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:18:26 -0800, cakecam wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for some up-to-date market share stats for Linux/Unix
    >> servers and Microsoft servers. I prefer data of market share of
    >> previously years too - to see the development in market share.
    >>
    >> Multiple, different independent sources with market share stats would
    >> be great....
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Tom

    > Can't give exact figures, but Ballmer stated:
    >
    > "Forty percent of servers run Windows, 60 percent run Linux," he said. "How
    > are we doing? Forty is less than 60, so I don't like it. ... We have some
    > work to do."
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html
    >
    > Major organisations like IBM, Amazon & Google run Linux.

    Specifically Apache Linux.

    Not bad considering the name 'Apache' came from 'a patchy server', meaning
    it was cobbled together from bitzen pieces of already-written Linux code.

    Long Live Tux !!

    Gaston Ryan Coake, Jan 13, 2009
  5. William Poaster said the following on 2009-01-13 17:55:

    > Major organisations like IBM, Amazon & Google run Linux.

    Google & yahoo runs Freebsd.
    General Patron, Jan 14, 2009
  6. On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:13:41 +0100, General Patron wrote:

    > William Poaster said the following on 2009-01-13 17:55:
    >>
    >> Major organisations like IBM, Amazon & Google run Linux.

    > Google & yahoo runs Freebsd.

    Which is 'UNIX-like' and has only minor differences from generic Linux.

    And that part of the reason one often sees the term *nix.

    Even Microsloth got close with the ill-fated Xenix.

    Here's an interesting list:

    http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?I=ugu.flavors

    Gaston Ryan Coake, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Gaston Ryan Coake wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:13:41 +0100, General Patron wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster said the following on 2009-01-13 17:55:
    >>> Major organisations like IBM, Amazon & Google run Linux.

    >> Google & yahoo runs Freebsd.

    > Which is 'UNIX-like' and has only minor differences from generic Linux.
    >
    > And that part of the reason one often sees the term *nix.
    >
    > Even Microsloth got close with the ill-fated Xenix.
    >
    > Here's an interesting list:
    >
    > http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?I=ugu.flavors

    Their website while impressive for showing Darwin fails to mention the
    superior-to-all BeOS.

    I'm nonplussed by this lack of 1337n355.
    <nods>
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 14, 2009
  8. cakecam

    John Duh Guest

    2009-01-14, Gaston Ryan Coake <> wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:13:41 +0100, General Patron wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster said the following on 2009-01-13 17:55:
    >>>
    >>> Major organisations like IBM, Amazon & Google run Linux.

    >> Google & yahoo runs Freebsd.

    > Which is 'UNIX-like' and has only minor differences from generic Linux.

    No it's unix, linux is unix-like
    John Duh, Jan 15, 2009