Linux Torvalds admits he is not father of Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, May 18, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    http://www.linuxworld.com/story/44851_f.htm

    LinuxWorld Exclusive: Linus Torvalds Makes Startling Admission,
    Discloses *Real* Fathers of Linux

    May 17, 2004

    Summary

    As only Linus Torvalds can, the undisputed - except by the Alexis de
    Tocqueville Institute - inventor of Linux has as promised let LinuxWorld
    have his immediate comment on the AdTI's president's claims this morning
    that the parentage of Linux is in doubt. Read his startling admission
    exclusively here.

    "Ok, I admit it. I was just a front-man for the real fathers of Linux,
    the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus."

    Thus begins a characteristically Torvaldsian e-mail to LinuxWorld News
    Desk sent by Linus Torvalds in response to our invitation to comment on
    the sensationalist claims this morning that he isn't, after all, the
    inventor of Linux.

    "They (for obvious reasons) couldn't step forward to admit that they had
    gotten bitten by the computer bug, and had been developing a series of
    operating systems on their own during the off season. But when they
    started with Linux (which they originally called Freax - they do feel
    like outsiders, you know, and that's a whole sad story in itself), they
    felt that they could no longer just let it languish in obscurity. They
    started to look for a front-man, and since Santa Claus is from Finland
    and thus has connections to Helsinki University, and the tooth fairy
    claimed 'He's got good strong teeth,' I got selected."

    (.........The rest is on the Infoworld web site.........).
    steve, May 18, 2004