linux thin clients

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3391511

    "....Linux on thin clients according to recent statistics from research
    firm IDC is growing at a rapid pace. In 2003, IDC estimated that Linux
    was in over 20 percent of thin clients and its forecast of 60 percent is
    higher than any other thin client operating system annual growth rate.

    "Thin clients represent a very cost effective hardware node solution for
    a pretty broad range of information worker activities," Weinberg said.
    "Linux makes both ends of the thin client equation more cost effective."

    interesting.....

    Also read an article the other day showing a Linux box with 6 graphics
    cards, keyboards and mice.....with 6 users logged in and working....so
    saving 5 thick clients.....

    All interesting tech saving dosh.....

    I liked this last one best because it offers a local usb port to plug a
    burner, printer(s) etc into....

    Pity I lost the URL

    :/

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Apr 11, 2006

  2. thingy

    shannon Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3391511
    >

    > "....Linux on thin clients according to recent statistics from research
    > firm IDC is growing at a rapid pace. In 2003, IDC estimated that Linux
    > was in over 20 percent of thin clients and its forecast of 60 percent is
    > higher than any other thin client operating system annual growth rate.
    >
    > "Thin clients represent a very cost effective hardware node solution for
    > a pretty broad range of information worker activities," Weinberg said.
    > "Linux makes both ends of the thin client equation more cost effective."
    >
    > interesting.....
    >
    > Also read an article the other day showing a Linux box with 6 graphics
    > cards, keyboards and mice.....with 6 users logged in and working....so
    > saving 5 thick clients.....
    >
    > All interesting tech saving dosh.....
    >
    > I liked this last one best because it offers a local usb port to plug a
    > burner, printer(s) etc into....
    >
    > Pity I lost the URL
    >
    > :/
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    DIY version
    http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
    OTS version
    http://userful.com/products/multi-station

    shannon, Apr 11, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3391511
    >>

    >> "....Linux on thin clients according to recent statistics from
    >> research firm IDC is growing at a rapid pace. In 2003, IDC estimated
    >> that Linux was in over 20 percent of thin clients and its forecast of
    >> 60 percent is higher than any other thin client operating system
    >> annual growth rate.
    >>
    >> "Thin clients represent a very cost effective hardware node solution
    >> for a pretty broad range of information worker activities," Weinberg
    >> said. "Linux makes both ends of the thin client equation more cost
    >> effective."
    >>
    >> interesting.....
    >>
    >> Also read an article the other day showing a Linux box with 6
    >> graphics cards, keyboards and mice.....with 6 users logged in and
    >> working....so saving 5 thick clients.....
    >>
    >> All interesting tech saving dosh.....
    >>
    >> I liked this last one best because it offers a local usb port to plug
    >> a burner, printer(s) etc into....
    >>
    >> Pity I lost the URL
    >>
    >> :/
    >>
    >> regards