Linux Takes 24% Of The Market

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 13, 2010.

  1. Actual paying market, too
    <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 13, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > Actual paying market, too
    > <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

    A couple of questions.

    1. Did you actually read the information around that statistic?
    2. Did you actually think before posting that?
    Another Me, May 13, 2010

  3. In message <hsgc2p$361$>, Another Me wrote:

    > On 13/05/10 4:51 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Actual paying market, too
    >> <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

    > A couple of questions.
    >
    > 1. Did you actually read the information around that statistic?
    > 2. Did you actually think before posting that?

    Says someone who clearly did neither of them!
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 15, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    On 15/05/10 11:53 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message<hsgc2p$361$>, Another Me wrote:
    >
    >> On 13/05/10 4:51 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Actual paying market, too
    >>> <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

    >> A couple of questions.
    >>
    >> 1. Did you actually read the information around that statistic?
    >> 2. Did you actually think before posting that?

    > Says someone who clearly did neither of them!

    No, I did read the article, including where you pulled that little
    statistic from, and I am still waiting for you to make your point.

    They have hit 24% sales of a small promotion selling some tiny games
    that no one has heard of with revenue so far of US$1.2 million, so
    taking account of 24% of the 130000 (wow 130000 people) people
    purchasing it, by the average $14.51 the Linux users have provided makes
    a huge US$473,000.

    The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots, 32000 linux
    users purchased a game, wow
    Another Me, May 15, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:59:37 +1200, Another Me wrote:

    > The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots, 32000 linux
    > users purchased a game, wow

    That's an excellent news - 32,000 is a very large number for selling a game that works on servers.

    Sweetpea, May 15, 2010
  6. In message <hskrlp$n7c$>, Another Me wrote:

    > The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots ...

    They are indeed. PC gaming is in chronic trouble, with declining sales and
    this continual antagonism against their own customers with ever-more-
    intrusive copy-protection measures, restrictions against resale and other
    such bullshit. One way or another, a new business model will have to emerge.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 15, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > In message<hskrlp$n7c$>, Another Me wrote:
    >
    >> The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots ...

    > They are indeed. PC gaming is in chronic trouble, with declining sales and
    > this continual antagonism against their own customers with ever-more-
    > intrusive copy-protection measures, restrictions against resale and other
    > such bullshit. One way or another, a new business model will have to emerge.

    It has been a known fact for years that PC gaming is in trouble, and the
    replacement has been around for years as well, and I will give you a
    clue, it isn't Linux
    Another Me, May 15, 2010
  8. In message <hslsig$ab5$>, Another Me wrote:

    > On 15/05/10 4:12 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message<hskrlp$n7c$>, Another Me wrote:
    >>
    >>> The big game manufacturers must be shaking in their boots ...

    >> They are indeed. PC gaming is in chronic trouble, with declining sales
    >> and this continual antagonism against their own customers with ever-more-
    >> intrusive copy-protection measures, restrictions against resale and other
    >> such bullshit. One way or another, a new business model will have to
    >> emerge.

    > It has been a known fact for years that PC gaming is in trouble, and the
    > replacement has been around for years as well, and I will give you a
    > clue, it isn't Linux

    Maybe the example I pointed to shows that Open Source might be part of the
    solution.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 15, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > In message<hslsig$ab5$>, Another Me wrote:

    >>> They are indeed. PC gaming is in chronic trouble, with declining sales
    >>> and this continual antagonism against their own customers with ever-more-
    >>> intrusive copy-protection measures, restrictions against resale and other
    >>> such bullshit. One way or another, a new business model will have to
    >>> emerge.

    >> It has been a known fact for years that PC gaming is in trouble, and the
    >> replacement has been around for years as well, and I will give you a
    >> clue, it isn't Linux

    > Maybe the example I pointed to shows that Open Source might be part of the
    > solution.

    Statistics have placed sales of COD:MW2 around 10 million in the US
    alone, around 6 million of them being console based sales. Now that
    doesn't include the rest of the worlds sales. Sure this is just one
    example, but it shows that your example is basically nothing (which we
    all know according to QI is impossible) in comparison.

    I'm not saying that one day Linux gaming may not go somewhere, but at
    the moment, those numbers aren't even a blip on the radar, even iPhone
    games have been known to sell more copies.
    Another Me, May 15, 2010
  10. In message <hsn6la$3an$>, Another Me wrote:

    > On 15/05/10 11:40 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe the example I pointed to shows that Open Source might be part of
    >> the solution.

    > Statistics have placed sales of COD:MW2 around 10 million in the US
    > alone, around 6 million of them being console based sales.

    Consoles aren’t exactly a bed of roses, either. The king of consoles is
    Nintendo, with everyone else (Microsoft, Sony) a distant second
    <http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/looking-back-at-2009-console-sales-and-ahead-to-2010-trends.ars>.
    But it seems to be getting harder to make money even there
    <http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/ubisoft-delays-new-splinter-cell-teases-multiplayer-creed.ars>.

    So I think a change will come even in the console market.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 18, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > Consoles aren’t exactly a bed of roses, either. The king of consoles is
    > Nintendo, with everyone else (Microsoft, Sony) a distant second
    > <http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/looking-back-at-2009-console-sales-and-ahead-to-2010-trends.ars>.
    > But it seems to be getting harder to make money even there
    > <http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/ubisoft-delays-new-splinter-cell-teases-multiplayer-creed.ars>.
    >
    > So I think a change will come even in the console market.

    Again, did you read those stats? They are US based only, and between
    the three main consoles in 2009 they sold a combined 18.69 million
    devices, they are still numbers Linux could only dream of.

    And in saying that, 9.59 million people purchased a Wii, even though the
    number of titles, and the quality of titles is terrible, and even
    Ubisoft admitting that no one purchases games on the Wii (unlike the PS3
    and XBox 360).

    And the second link, congratulations, you selected an article regarding
    poor sales to combat my extreme example, but crap games are made on all
    platforms, Windows, Mac, Consoles, Linux, they are not restricted to one.

    And I for one do not believe that Linux is any contender to "fix"
    gaming, people are not going to leave the consoles to move to Linux,
    people will not leave PC gaming to move to Linux. Consoles will be
    around for a lot longer yet, they are a far superior consumer device.
    Another Me, May 18, 2010
  12. In message <hsur2o$hb1$>, Another Me wrote:

    > ... between the three main consoles in 2009 they sold a combined 18.69
    > million devices, they are still numbers Linux could only dream of.

    Android alone is already shipping more than that.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2010
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > In message<hsur2o$hb1$>, Another Me wrote:
    >
    >> ... between the three main consoles in 2009 they sold a combined 18.69
    >> million devices, they are still numbers Linux could only dream of.

    > Android alone is already shipping more than that.

    I'm not sure of your point, the majority of Android devices are phones,
    Nokia will sell over a million phones today, they will sell over 14
    million phones in the next two weeks.
    Another Me, May 19, 2010
  14. In message <hsvfo0$srk$>, Another Me wrote:

    > On 19/05/10 12:33 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message<hsur2o$hb1$>, Another Me wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... between the three main consoles in 2009 they sold a combined 18.69
    >>> million devices, they are still numbers Linux could only dream of.

    >> Android alone is already shipping more than that.

    > I'm not sure of your point, the majority of Android devices are phones ...

    Smart phones. Which also play games, and run other apps.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2010
  15. In message <hsg0hf$s9v$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Actual paying market, too
    > <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

    More than that, the Linux users actually chose to pay more
    <http://techdirt.com/blog/entrepreneurs/articles/20100518/0844299463.shtml>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2010
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > In message<hsvfo0$srk$>, Another Me wrote:

    >>> Android alone is already shipping more than that.

    >> I'm not sure of your point, the majority of Android devices are phones ...

    > Smart phones. Which also play games, and run other apps.

    In Q1 2010 Android phones took 10% of the smartphone market, Nokia took
    40% at 21.5 million smartphones, heck even Apple sold 8.75 million for
    16% of the mark.

    OK, again, can you please let me know your point?
    Another Me, May 21, 2010
  17. Re: Another Larry D'Loser con job exposed

    On 20 May, 23:51, "impossible" <> wrote:

    > > In message <hsg0hf$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > >> Actual paying market, too
    > >> <http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/The-state-of-Mac-and-Linux-gaming>.

    > > More than that, the Linux users actually chose to pay more
    > > <http://techdirt.com/blog/entrepreneurs/articles/20100518/0844299463.s...>.

    > Acutally, not a market at all.
    >
    > Linux users accounted for 24% of the proceeds for
    > one obscure game developed

    Not exactly one game. Try six games.
    World of Goo
    Aquaria
    Gish
    Lugaru
    Penumbra
    Samorost 2

    And not quite obscure. Penumbra was released as both a boxed version
    and on steam - not just some obscure website. World of Goo has
    received plenty of awards and reviews (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
    World_of_Goo#Reception). From what I've heard they are all very good
    games (I've not finished downloading them all - dialup).

    > by one small independent game company

    Only one was developed by Wolfire. The rest were developed by five
    other companies

    > that was running a promotion to
    > benefit a digital rights foundation and children's charity.

    not all of it went to charity. The money was, by default, distributed
    equally. Statistics were posted but I don't have the link handy.

    > Nothing was
    > traded

    Actually, people got a game if they gave them money. The games weren't
    (and aren't) legally available for free.

    > -- all contributions were voluntary.

    Just as buying games from anywhere else is voluntary

    David Goodwin, May 21, 2010
  18. In message <ht55ue$78m$>, Another Me wrote:

    > On 20/05/10 4:38 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> I'm not sure of your point, the majority of Android devices are phones

    >> Smart phones. Which also play games, and run other apps.

    > In Q1 2010 Android phones took 10% of the smartphone market, Nokia took
    > 40% at 21.5 million smartphones, heck even Apple sold 8.75 million for
    > 16% of the mark.
    >
    > OK, again, can you please let me know your point?

    Which is that locked-down proprietary systems like Apple’s are losing their
    grip on the market.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2010
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > In message<ht55ue$78m$>, Another Me wrote:

    >>> Smart phones. Which also play games, and run other apps.

    >> In Q1 2010 Android phones took 10% of the smartphone market, Nokia took
    >> 40% at 21.5 million smartphones, heck even Apple sold 8.75 million for
    >> 16% of the mark.
    >>
    >> OK, again, can you please let me know your point?

    > Which is that locked-down proprietary systems like Apple’s are losing their
    > grip on the market.

    Apples market share was consistent with the previous quarter at 16% (and
    an increase in sales), and Nokia's sales were up 1 percentage point, is
    there any reason why you didn't mention Nokia, and you did Apple, is it
    because Nokia's OS's are open source?
    Another Me, May 21, 2010
  20. In message <ht5io2$eha$>, Another Me wrote:

    > Apples market share was consistent with the previous quarter at 16% (and
    > an increase in sales), and Nokia's sales were up 1 percentage point ...

    Not if you look at mobile phones as a whole
    <http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/05/mobile-market-up-smartphones-up-iphone-and-android-way-up-1.ars>.

    > ... is there any reason why you didn't mention Nokia, and you did Apple,
    > is it because Nokia's OS's are open source?

    You mean Symbian? Yes, I think that accounts for several times the market
    share of Apple.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 22, 2010