Linux - Speedtouch USB modem drivers download.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by KeithS, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. KeithS

    KeithS Guest

    As part of the continuing struggle to get my Alcatel Speedtouch 330
    USB ADSL modem to connect in Linux, I'm trying to get a bundled driver
    package (Speedbundle) from
    http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/download/index.html

    This (sometimes!) takes me to
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linux-usb/speedbundle-1.0.tar.gz?download, a
    list of mirror sites for this package. However, not one of these seems
    willing to send the file. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone else
    get it?

    Any help & advice gratefully received

    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 19, 2004

  2. KeithS wrote:

    > As part of the continuing struggle to get my Alcatel Speedtouch 330
    > USB ADSL modem to connect in Linux, I'm trying to get a bundled driver
    > package (Speedbundle) from
    > http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/download/index.html
    >
    > This (sometimes!) takes me to

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linux-usb/speedbundle-1.0.tar.gz?download,
    > a list of mirror sites for this package. However, not one of these seems
    > willing to send the file. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone else
    > get it?
    >
    > Any help & advice gratefully received
    >
    > KeithS

    Usually support for modems is a kernel module, and that's where you should
    be looking.

    However ... USB ADSL modems suck rutabagas, poorly. Your real solution is to
    dump that thing and get one which talks Ethernet.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 19, 2004

  3. KeithS

    KeithS Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> However ... USB ADSL modems suck rutabagas, poorly. Your real

    > solution is to dump that thing and get one which talks Ethernet.

    Really am beginning to think so too, only had the thing for 3 months
    too!

    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 19, 2004
  4. KeithS

    KeithS Guest

    "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    > Why are you trying to set it up as a usb device? If your motherboard
    > supports LAN use that or get a NIC.

    Agreed, but see my reply to Gary, above

    Knowing the distribution might
    > also
    > help a little bit. Here's a hint: Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Gentoo
    > and
    > Debian will support it 'out of the box' that way.

    Suse, not that the installation from Speedbundle is distro-specific.

    KeithS, Jan 19, 2004
  5. KeithS

    KeithS Guest

    "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    > Curious. That's a kernel module you're trying to download.

    See http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/download/index.html
    for a more detailed description

    I have a
    > Thompson Speedtouch 330 hooked up through ethernet and its worked
    > fine with every distro I've installed on the spare box. It might be
    > time to pitch it and check the HCL. Incidently, Mandrake 9.1 & 9.2
    > support the Alcatel Speedtouch 330 usb modem, you could try dual
    > booting.

    Hey, c'mon, you're talking to a Linux newbie here! :) I think the
    pitch it suggestion is my best bet

    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 19, 2004
  6. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:05:23 +0000, KeithS pecked at a keyboard in panic:

    > As part of the continuing struggle to get my Alcatel Speedtouch 330
    > USB ADSL modem to connect in Linux, I'm trying to get a bundled driver
    > package (Speedbundle) from
    > http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/download/index.html
    >
    > This (sometimes!) takes me to
    > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linux-usb/speedbundle-1.0.tar.gz?download, a
    > list of mirror sites for this package. However, not one of these seems
    > willing to send the file. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone else
    > get it?
    >
    > Any help & advice gratefully received
    >
    > Keith

    Why are you trying to set it up as a usb device? If your motherboard
    supports LAN use that or get a NIC. Knowing the distribution might also
    help a little bit. Here's a hint: Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Gentoo and
    Debian will support it 'out of the box' that way.

    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Defenestrate Windows!
    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004
  7. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:22:01 +0000, KeithS pecked at a keyboard in panic:

    > "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    >> Why are you trying to set it up as a usb device? If your motherboard
    >> supports LAN use that or get a NIC.

    > Agreed, but see my reply to Gary, above
    >
    > Knowing the distribution might
    >> also
    >> help a little bit. Here's a hint: Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Gentoo
    >> and
    >> Debian will support it 'out of the box' that way.

    > Suse, not that the installation from Speedbundle is distro-specific.

    Curious. That's a kernel module you're trying to download. I have a

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004
  8. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:22:01 +0000, KeithS pecked at a keyboard in panic:

    > Suse, not that the installation from Speedbundle is distro-specific.

    Instead of a kernel patch, have you thought about downloading kernel
    2.6.1? Thought of that after I posted.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004
  9. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:24:55 +0000, KeithS pecked at a keyboard in panic:

    > "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    >> Curious. That's a kernel module you're trying to download.

    > See http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/download/index.html
    > for a more detailed description

    Oops, my mistake.

    > I have a
    >> Thompson Speedtouch 330 hooked up through ethernet and its worked
    >> fine with every distro I've installed on the spare box. It might be
    >> time to pitch it and check the HCL. Incidently, Mandrake 9.1 & 9.2
    >> support the Alcatel Speedtouch 330 usb modem, you could try dual
    >> booting.

    > Hey, c'mon, you're talking to a Linux newbie here! :) I think the
    > pitch it suggestion is my best bet
    >
    > KeithS

    Aw, c'mon it shouldn't be too hard. Install the new distro after /home in
    a seperate partition(s) and install the lilo bootloader for that in its /.
    Then edit your current lilo.conf file something like this to include the
    new OS.

    map=/boot/map
    vga=normal
    default="linux-smp"
    keytable=/boot/us.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hda2
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
    vga=791
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-smp
    label="linux-smp"
    root=/dev/hda2
    initrd=/boot/initrd-smp.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
    vga=791
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="failsafe"
    root=/dev/hda2
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht"
    read-only
    #image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="other sparkly new OS"
    root=/dev/hda7
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
    vga=791
    read-only

    Cheers, and good luck with the modem.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004