    other user logs in, they log out, i log in, sound doesnt work

    Ive just decided to run sudo xmms and that worked fine

    How do i change permissions so it works without sudo?

    Andrew, Sep 17, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:42:37 +1200, Andrew wrote:

    > Right now when i open up xmms i get an error when i try to play audio In
    > my shell i get:
    > ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
    > Permission denied
    >

    > And i also get a dialouge box saying that it cant open audio
    >
    > Previously to fix this ive had to reboot... This only seems to happen when
    > someone else logs into the machine .. ie sound works, i log out, other
    > user logs in, they log out, i log in, sound doesnt work
    >

    > Ive just decided to run sudo xmms and that worked fine
    >
    > How do i change permissions so it works without sudo?

    chmod 666 /dev/dsp

    Murray Symon, Sep 17, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:42:37 +1200, Andrew wrote:
    >

    >>Right now when i open up xmms i get an error when i try to play audio In
    >>my shell i get:
    >>** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
    >>Permission denied
    >>

    >>And i also get a dialouge box saying that it cant open audio
    >>
    >>Previously to fix this ive had to reboot... This only seems to happen when
    >>someone else logs into the machine .. ie sound works, i log out, other
    >>user logs in, they log out, i log in, sound doesnt work
    >>

    >>Ive just decided to run sudo xmms and that worked fine
    >>
    >>How do i change permissions so it works without sudo?

    > chmod 666 /dev/dsp

    Awesome

    Cheers

    Andrew, Sep 17, 2005
  4. In article <2GQWe.12385$>,
    Andrew <> wrote:

    >Right now when i open up xmms i get an error when i try to play audio
    >In my shell i get:
    >** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
    >Permission denied

    This is a separate issue from the actual problem you're having, but I
    just did a Google for "xmms alsa", and found a bunch of hits.

    OSS is an obsolete sound architecture--I think all Linux sound stuff is
    using ALSA these days. It might be worth upgrading to an ALSA-compatible
    version of XMMS while you're at it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2005
  5. Andrew

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:52:58 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <2GQWe.12385$>,
    > Andrew <> wrote:
    >
    >>Right now when i open up xmms i get an error when i try to play audio In
    >>my shell i get:
    >>** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
    >>Permission denied

    > This is a separate issue from the actual problem you're having, but I
    > just did a Google for "xmms alsa", and found a bunch of hits.
    >
    > OSS is an obsolete sound architecture--I think all Linux sound stuff is
    > using ALSA these days. It might be worth upgrading to an ALSA-compatible
    > version of XMMS while you're at it.

    That depends on your kernel version (and probably specific sound card).
    OSS is still quite valid for a 2.4 kernel.

    Murray Symon, Sep 18, 2005
  6. "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In article <2GQWe.12385$>,
    > Andrew <> wrote:
    >
    >>Right now when i open up xmms i get an error when i try to play audio
    >>In my shell i get:
    >>** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
    >>Permission denied

    > This is a separate issue from the actual problem you're having, but I
    > just did a Google for "xmms alsa", and found a bunch of hits.
    >
    > OSS is an obsolete sound architecture--I think all Linux sound stuff is
    > using ALSA these days. It might be worth upgrading to an ALSA-compatible
    > version of XMMS while you're at it.

    I wish the Real Player plug-in for Firefox used ALSA. Under Fedora Core 4
    I can never get it and the desktop sounds working together.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <2GQWe.12385$>,
    > Andrew <> wrote:
    >

    >>Right now when i open up xmms i get an error when i try to play audio
    >>In my shell i get:
    >>** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
    >>Permission denied

    > This is a separate issue from the actual problem you're having, but I
    > just did a Google for "xmms alsa", and found a bunch of hits.
    >
    > OSS is an obsolete sound architecture--I think all Linux sound stuff is
    > using ALSA these days. It might be worth upgrading to an ALSA-compatible
    > version of XMMS while you're at it.

    artsd (KDE sound daemon) sometimes hogs /dev/dsp. You can setup
    KDE to not hog /dev/dsp from KDE Control Centre. XMMS also has
    an arts output plugin, which means it pipes its output to artsd
    thereby negating the need to prevent artsd hogging the sound
    server...

    Oh, OSS is not fully obsolete. Some software I use requires the
    use of OSS instead of alsa due to either bugs in alsa or driver
    issues with the hardware.

    alsa also seriously needs some GUI based setup tools for testing
    surround sound and general setup. The alsa software would have to
    be some of the most unfriendly software to setup I've come across.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 18, 2005
  8. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:52:58 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >>In article <2GQWe.12385$>,
    >> Andrew <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Right now when i open up xmms i get an error when i try to play audio In
    >>>my shell i get:
    >>>** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
    >>>Permission denied

    >>This is a separate issue from the actual problem you're having, but I
    >>just did a Google for "xmms alsa", and found a bunch of hits.
    >>
    >>OSS is an obsolete sound architecture--I think all Linux sound stuff is
    >>using ALSA these days. It might be worth upgrading to an ALSA-compatible
    >>version of XMMS while you're at it.

    > That depends on your kernel version (and probably specific sound card).
    > OSS is still quite valid for a 2.4 kernel.

    I am using the 2.4 kernel

    Its a work machine.... The sound works, xmms is kinda of a low priority
    upgrade for the tech department here

    Andrew, Sep 18, 2005