    can enable as you choose. Does SBS offer DHCP, local DNS, routing, secure
    access from the Internet, secure inter-branch access, VPN, telephony,
    Wiki/CMS?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Nov 3, 12:45 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Does SBS offer DHCP, local DNS, routing, secure
    > access from the Internet, secure inter-branch access, VPN, telephony,
    > Wiki/CMS?

    Yes.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 3, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:31:34 -0800, AD. wrote:

    > On Nov 3, 12:45 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Does SBS offer DHCP, local DNS, routing, secure access from the
    >> Internet, secure inter-branch access, VPN, telephony, Wiki/CMS?

    > Yes.

    .... but at a price for each and every server based on the number of servers, the number of CPUs in
    each one and the amount of RAM in them.

    Isn't that right?

    Carnations, Nov 3, 2009
  4. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:31:34 -0800, AD. wrote:
    >
    >> On Nov 3, 12:45 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does SBS offer DHCP, local DNS, routing, secure access from the
    >>> Internet, secure inter-branch access, VPN, telephony, Wiki/CMS?

    >> Yes.

    > ... but at a price ...

    Actually I don't even think it does.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    >>> Yes.

    >> ... but at a price ...

    > Actually I don't even think it does.

    You don't think it even does what exactly?

    EMB, Nov 3, 2009
  6. In message <hcouu1$p75$>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> ... but at a price ...

    >> Actually I don't even think it does.

    > You don't think it even does what exactly?

    What AD claimed.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > What AD claimed.

    Any or all of what he claimed?

    EMB, Nov 3, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Nov 3, 10:15 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > >> Yes.

    > > ... but at a price ...

    > Actually I don't even think it does.

    DHCP - check
    local DNS - check
    routing - check
    secure access from the internet - check
    secure inter-branch access - check (although no doubt there is a way
    of defining that so that SBS can't do it)
    VPN - check
    telephony - partial
    Wiki/CMS - check

    I've had to set up and support a few SBS networks over the last decade
    and I have really grown to dislike SBS. But it does pretty much do
    that stuff, even if I don't like the way it does it.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 3, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On Nov 3, 12:45 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Novell, it appears, sells a package which is meant to go straight up againts
    > Microsoft SBS <http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6890/3/>.
    >
    > OK for those who care about this sort of packaging, I guess. But any server-
    > capable Linux distro will offer you all these options, and more, that you
    > can enable as you choose. Does SBS offer DHCP, local DNS, routing, secure
    > access from the Internet, secure inter-branch access, VPN, telephony,
    > Wiki/CMS?

    You have to configure it all, rather than have it work out of the box
    and usually get a neat web gui to glue it all together...so its easy..

    God you are thick.

    regards

    thingy, Nov 4, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 12:45 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Novell, it appears, sells a package which is meant to go straight up againts
    >> Microsoft SBS <http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6890/3/>.
    >>
    >> OK for those who care about this sort of packaging, I guess. But any server-
    >> capable Linux distro will offer you all these options, and more, that you
    >> can enable as you choose. Does SBS offer DHCP, local DNS, routing, secure
    >> access from the Internet, secure inter-branch access, VPN, telephony,
    >> Wiki/CMS?

    > You have to configure it all, rather than have it work out of the box
    > and usually get a neat web gui to glue it all together...so its easy..
    >
    > God you are thick.
    >
    > regards

    There are a couple of others
    http://ebox-platform.com/
    http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page

    victor, Nov 4, 2009
  11. In message
    <>, AD.
    wrote:

    > DHCP - check

    With static allocations to predefined MAC addresses?

    > routing - check

    With the ability to set up rules like

    ${iptables} -A INPUT -i ${outside} -p tcp --dport 22 -j DROP
    # drop all incoming SSH connections for now
    ${iptables} -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ${outside} -p udp --dport 5060:5062 \
    -j DNAT --to-destination ${pearl} # SIP

    ?

    > secure access from the internet - check

    With the ability to execute arbitrary commands, depending on permission
    settings? Secure file transfer? Secure file/directory synchronization?

    > telephony - partial

    How much of an Asterisk equivalent? 100%? 10%? 1%?

    > Wiki/CMS - check

    Something on a par with, I don’t know, Drupal, MediaWiki, those sorts of
    things?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2009