Linux: should you make the switch

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Nov 14, 2006

  2. "Au79" <> wrote in message
    news:_Ol6h.1575$...
    > Pacer - Martin,TN,USA
    >
    > If you don't have the money for a new computer (ie a Mac), but you still
    > want to depart from Windows for a while, then your best bet is Linux.
    >
    > <http://pacer.utm.edu/3462.htm>

    Or you could buy a new computer and put Linux on it! Or buy a Mac and put
    Linux on it - it's all good...

    My recent laptop purchase cost about as much as a MacBookPro, but because it
    isn't a MacBookPro I got more substance for my money - just a touch less
    style ;)

    Richard Parkin, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Au79

    elaich Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in news:_Ol6h.1575$:

    > If you don't have the money for a new computer (ie a Mac), but you still
    > want to depart from Windows for a while, then your best bet is Linux.

    I'm in the process of switching over to Knoppix. Using the live CD to get
    used to it. It's quite intuitive to use for a Windows user.

    Mind you, there are Windows programs I have grown quite dependant on (like
    Paint Shop Pro and Cool Edit Pro) that have no direct Linux equivalent.
    I'll probably dual boot Linux and W2K for a long time, but the good part is
    that Windows won't have to be exposed to the Internet.

    elaich, Nov 14, 2006
  4. Au79

    J.S.Fronyio Guest

    Au79 wrote:
    > Pacer - Martin,TN,USA
    >
    > If you don't have the money for a new computer (ie a Mac), but you still
    > want to depart from Windows for a while, then your best bet is Linux.
    >
    > <http://pacer.utm.edu/3462.htm>

    A couple years ago I started playing around with Linux.
    I still use windows xp, but enjoy learning about Linux.
    I found that Ubuntu, Linspire and Freespire all work very well
    My favorite is freespire, all the features without all the windows drawbacks

    J.S.Fronyio, Nov 14, 2006
  5. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    elaich wrote:

    > Au79 <> wrote in news:_Ol6h.1575$:
    >
    >> If you don't have the money for a new computer (ie a Mac), but you still
    >> want to depart from Windows for a while, then your best bet is Linux.

    > I'm in the process of switching over to Knoppix. Using the live CD to get
    > used to it. It's quite intuitive to use for a Windows user.
    >
    > Mind you, there are Windows programs I have grown quite dependant on (like
    > Paint Shop Pro

    The Gimp is a very powerful image manipulation program that runs on Linux
    and is (by some accounts) just as good as Photoshop.

    http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
    http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

    Au79, Nov 15, 2006
  6. Au79

    J.S.Fronyio Guest

    I agree.. last year I tried "Ubuntu" and found that I like it better
    than Windows.
    The new Ubuntu, is even better,
    As to missing Windows programs, I found that there are Linux programs
    that work very well, Infact I like them better that the windows
    programs. "Gimp" is great for graphics, Firefox, and Thnderbird for the
    internet. I does not get better than that

    J.S.Fronyio, Jun 24, 2007