Linux server and backup solution

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by TEX, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. TEX

    TEX Guest

    Need to build a machine that will be used as a simple fileserver that
    does backups to a DVD-RW/CD-RW

    It is used to replace a win95 box which is serving the task, and seagate
    backup.

    Why linux?? Cos they do not wish(or have the money) to spend $180+
    dollars on XP pro to do basically the same thing.

    There must be a simple linux solution running samba around. I just need
    a push in the right direction.

    Currently have installed Mandrake 10, with GUI and setup samba. Just
    trying to find a backup program now.

    Any suggestions on alternative distro and software combos welcome.

    Thanks

    TEX
    TEX, Apr 8, 2006

  2. TEX

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:32:33 +1200, TEX <> exclaimed:

    >Why linux?? Cos they do not wish(or have the money) to spend $180+
    >dollars on XP pro to do basically the same thing.

    I guess it all comes down to what your time's worth.

    If you're charging $90ph, which is reasonably standard for an
    experienced technician, it would only take 2 hours of fucking around
    with Linux before it'll start to cost them more and more. Not to
    mention the numerous times you'll have to go back and piss around with
    the Samba permissions.

    I guess if you don't value your time, a 2-bit solution would work, but
    I hope you aren't representing yourself as a professional if that's
    the case.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 8, 2006

  3. TEX

    Shane Guest

    TEX wrote:

    > Need to build a machine that will be used as a simple fileserver that
    > does backups to a DVD-RW/CD-RW
    >
    > It is used to replace a win95 box which is serving the task, and seagate
    > backup.
    >
    > Why linux?? Cos they do not wish(or have the money) to spend $180+
    > dollars on XP pro to do basically the same thing.
    >
    > There must be a simple linux solution running samba around. I just need
    > a push in the right direction.
    >
    > Currently have installed Mandrake 10, with GUI and setup samba. Just
    > trying to find a backup program now.
    >
    > Any suggestions on alternative distro and software combos welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > TEX

    Distro shouldnt matter
    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Backup/
    http://www.tivano.com/software/amanda/index.shtml
    The Amanda CDRW-Taper is a drop-in replacement for the taper component of
    the Amanda backup system. CDRW-Taper makes it possible to dump backups to
    CD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-RW instead of tape. CDRW-Taper is licensed under the
    GNU general public license (version 2)
    [...]
    Meanwhile, DVD+RW have become sufficiently cheap to present an interesting
    alternative to the clumsy manual process involved with backups to multiple
    CDRW. Therefore, the current version has been extended to support backup to
    DVD+R/+RW and DVD-R/-RW media as well, using the dvd+rw-tools.

    http://rab.sourceforge.net/
    RAB is a backup program featuring backups to removable media and to CDR(W).
    Here, a removable medium may be anything like a DVD RAM, a MO medium or
    even a partition on another hard drive. RAB supports full backups and
    incremental backups configurable on a per directory basis. Most of RAB's
    functionality is implemented by a shared library, so it is easy to create
    customized backup applications for your personal system.

    http://kdar.sourceforge.net/
    KDar is the KDE Disk Archiver. It is a convenient graphical interface to
    Denis Corbin's libdar archiving and backup C++ library. You can safely
    backup (with compression if you like), view and restore files using KDar,
    along with a few easy UNIX commands for mounting and burning CD-R's, Zip
    and Jazz drives, DVD-R's, floppies, or any other disk-based storage media.

    This last one looks pretty, but you create a backup, then manually burn it
    to a dvd

    Anyway.. hope this gets you started
    --

    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 8, 2006
  4. On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:32:33 +1200, TEX wrote:

    > Currently have installed Mandrake 10, with GUI and setup samba. Just
    > trying to find a backup program now.

    SuSE 10 has a good backup system installed by default.

    You can choose which directories are backed up, how often that's done, and
    how they are stored - even on a different machine, etc.

    And you'd be able to burn a DVD as a cron job.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
    that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 8, 2006
  5. TEX

    Tony Guest

    > If you're charging $90ph, which is reasonably standard for an
    > experienced technician, it would only take 2 hours of fucking around
    > with Linux before it'll start to cost them more and more. Not to
    > mention the numerous times you'll have to go back and piss around with
    > the Samba permissions.
    >
    > I guess if you don't value your time, a 2-bit solution would work, but
    > I hope you aren't representing yourself as a professional if that's
    > the case.

    Hey dickhead, Linux is not a 2 bit solution. Just because you obviously
    are too stupid to see past point and click solutions, it doesn't mean
    everyone else is.
    Tony, Apr 8, 2006
  6. TEX

    Shane Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >> If you're charging $90ph, which is reasonably standard for an
    >> experienced technician, it would only take 2 hours of fucking around
    >> with Linux before it'll start to cost them more and more. Not to
    >> mention the numerous times you'll have to go back and piss around with
    >> the Samba permissions.
    >>
    >> I guess if you don't value your time, a 2-bit solution would work, but
    >> I hope you aren't representing yourself as a professional if that's
    >> the case.

    > Hey dickhead, Linux is not a 2 bit solution. Just because you obviously
    > are too stupid to see past point and click solutions, it doesn't mean
    > everyone else is.

    It kind of makes you wonder what skillset he *really* possesses
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/4af3b7aad7bf63c8?hl=en&

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 8, 2006
  7. TEX

    Thor Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:23:24 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >>> If you're charging $90ph, which is reasonably standard for an
    >>> experienced technician, it would only take 2 hours of fucking around
    >>> with Linux before it'll start to cost them more and more. Not to
    >>> mention the numerous times you'll have to go back and piss around with
    >>> the Samba permissions.
    >>>
    >>> I guess if you don't value your time, a 2-bit solution would work, but
    >>> I hope you aren't representing yourself as a professional if that's the
    >>> case.

    >> Hey dickhead, Linux is not a 2 bit solution. Just because you obviously
    >> are too stupid to see past point and click solutions, it doesn't mean
    >> everyone else is.

    > It kind of makes you wonder what skillset he *really* possesses
    > http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/4af3b7aad7bf63c8?hl=en&

    Let's face it Fred is the new woger but somehow he just isn't as much
    fun and lacks even Roger's ability to string words together coherently.
    Thor, Apr 8, 2006
  8. TEX

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:32:33 +1200, TEX wrote:

    [snip]

    > Any suggestions on alternative distro and software combos welcome

    Kdar, and upgrade to the lastest version please. It costs you only the
    download.
    Gordon, Apr 8, 2006
  9. TEX

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:53:11 +1200, Thor wrote:

    > Let's face it Fred is the new woger but somehow he just isn't as much
    > fun and lacks even Roger's ability to string words together coherently.

    Oscar Wilde would applaud your use of words.
    Gordon, Apr 8, 2006
  10. On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 17:18:39 +1200, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:53:11 +1200, Thor wrote:
    >
    >> Let's face it Fred is the new woger but somehow he just isn't as much
    >> fun and lacks even Roger's ability to string words together coherently.

    > Oscar Wilde would applaud your use of words.

    But not his lack of punctuation. ;o)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 8, 2006
  11. TEX

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:35:57 +1200, Tony
    <> exclaimed:

    >> If you're charging $90ph, which is reasonably standard for an
    >> experienced technician, it would only take 2 hours of fucking around
    >> with Linux before it'll start to cost them more and more. Not to
    >> mention the numerous times you'll have to go back and piss around with
    >> the Samba permissions.
    >>
    >> I guess if you don't value your time, a 2-bit solution would work, but
    >> I hope you aren't representing yourself as a professional if that's
    >> the case.

    >Hey dickhead, Linux is not a 2 bit solution. Just because you obviously
    >are too stupid to see past point and click solutions, it doesn't mean
    >everyone else is.

    As a Windows file server?

    Come on! Use the right tool for the job, dickhead.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 8, 2006
  12. TEX

    Tony Guest

    > As a Windows file server?
    >
    > Come on! Use the right tool for the job, dickhead.

    Samba is actually faster at serving files than win2000 server to windows
    machines.
    Tony, Apr 10, 2006
  13. TEX

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:22:55 +1200, Tony
    <> exclaimed:

    >> As a Windows file server?
    >>
    >> Come on! Use the right tool for the job, dickhead.

    >Samba is actually faster at serving files than win2000 server to windows
    >machines.

    That's a bold claim, and disputed widely.

    Here's a report: http://tinyurl.com/k435s

    And why would you go to Samba, and lose all the advantages of Active
    Directory? You might as well go back to DOS (yes, you can set up a
    network file store in DOS).
    Fred Dagg, Apr 10, 2006
  14. TEX

    Shane Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >> As a Windows file server?
    >>
    >> Come on! Use the right tool for the job, dickhead.

    > Samba is actually faster at serving files than win2000 server to windows
    > machines.

    Windows 2000
    http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid39_gci880608,00.html
    But these figures do not tell the complete story. With Windows 2000 Advanced
    Server, the FAT32 system failed at 32 clients, the NTFS file system I/O
    dropped to 12 MB/s at 60 concurrent clients. By comparison, the Samba on
    Linux system still delivered I/O at 29 MB/s with 60 concurrent clients.
    Each client was running a simulated Ziff-Davis NetBench test.
    [..]
    Given that sufficient memory has been provided, that there are no other
    factors that will limit throughput, and given identical hardware, Samba
    will support up to 10 times the number of concurrent users from the same
    machine as MS Windows 2000 Advanced Server and still deliver a higher
    aggregate I/O volume. In the real world this may not be realized.

    Heh.. this is for 2003 (and done a while back)
    http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/news/2085218/samba-extends-lead-win-2003
    Samba is an open-source implementation of the Common Internet File System
    (CIFS) protocol used for file and print sharing by PCs running Microsoft
    Windows. Samba 3, released last month, is a long-awaited upgrade that adds
    important new features, most notably compatibility with Microsoft Active
    Directory. Version 3 can be set up to authenticate users from an existing
    Active Directory.
    [..]
    The latest benchmark results show an improvement over version 2, which
    performed twice as fast as Windows 2000 Server when it was tested by IT
    Week Labs last year. Overall, it now performs 2.5 times faster than Windows
    Server 2003.

    Note the "Version 3 can be set up to authenticate users from an existing
    Active Directory"

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 10, 2006
  15. TEX

    shannon Guest

    http://sadms.sourceforge.net/
    shannon, Apr 10, 2006
  16. TEX

    MarkH Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:22:55 +1200, Tony
    ><> exclaimed:
    >
    >>> As a Windows file server?
    >>>
    >>> Come on! Use the right tool for the job, dickhead.

    >>Samba is actually faster at serving files than win2000 server to windows
    >>machines.

    > That's a bold claim, and disputed widely.
    >
    > Here's a report: http://tinyurl.com/k435s

    A report that was commissioned by Microsoft, why does that make me dubious
    about its findings?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Apr 10, 2006
  17. TEX

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 06:19:32 GMT, MarkH <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:22:55 +1200, Tony
    >><> exclaimed:

    >>>Samba is actually faster at serving files than win2000 server to windows
    >>>machines.

    >> That's a bold claim, and disputed widely.
    >>
    >> Here's a report: http://tinyurl.com/k435s

    >A report that was commissioned by Microsoft, why does that make me dubious
    >about its findings?

    Rather than one of the multitudes of people involves with Samba,
    completely lacking in detail, and making baseless claims?

    Hmm...

    And aside from that, performance is only one measure of many, and
    Samba falls short on almost all.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 10, 2006
  18. TEX

    Shane Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 06:19:32 GMT, MarkH <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:22:55 +1200, Tony
    >>><> exclaimed:

    >>> That's a bold claim, and disputed widely.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a report: http://tinyurl.com/k435s

    >>A report that was commissioned by Microsoft, why does that make me dubious
    >>about its findings?

    > Rather than one of the multitudes of people involves with Samba,
    > completely lacking in detail, and making baseless claims?
    >
    > Hmm...
    >
    > And aside from that, performance is only one measure of many, and
    > Samba falls short on almost all.

    Can anyone else hear the goalposts being moved about ?
    (And even then they still fail to prove that Tonys statement was false in
    any way whatsoever)
    Hmm...

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 10, 2006
  19. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:20:30 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >

    >> And why would you go to Samba, and lose all the advantages of Active
    >> Directory? You might as well go back to DOS (yes, you can set up a
    >> network file store in DOS).

    > http://sadms.sourceforge.net/

    Of course the next major release of Samba will have full Active Directory
    support.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 10, 2006
  20. TEX

    Enkidu Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:20:30 +1200, shannon wrote:
    >
    >>Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>
    >>>And why would you go to Samba, and lose all the advantages of Active
    >>>Directory? You might as well go back to DOS (yes, you can set up a
    >>>network file store in DOS).

    >>http://sadms.sourceforge.net/

    > Of course the next major release of Samba will have full Active Directory
    > support.

    Samba 3 provides some support. However, Samba is unlikely to have full
    Active Directory support for some time for a number of reasons. The main
    one being that the Windows permissions systems can't be easily emulated
    in Linux. Though the Solaris Role Based ACLs seem like a promising
    approach that will surely be copied by Linux Security system.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Apr 10, 2006