Linux RedHat 9 - Xine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Krhis, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Krhis

    Krhis Guest

    RedHat 9, using the tutorial from: http://snipurl.com/46y6
    The install of Xine Lib went great, bit when I get to the point were I
    use '$./configure' (without the quotes) on the Xine UI I get the
    fallowing:

    *** An old version of CURL (7.9.8) was found.
    *** You need a version of CURL newer than 7.10.2. The latest version
    of
    *** CURL is always available from:
    *** http://curl.sf.net/
    ***
    *** If you have already installed a sufficiently new version, this
    error
    *** probably means that the wrong copy of the curl-config shell script
    is
    *** being found. The easiest way to fix this is to remove the old
    version
    *** of CURL, but you can also set the CURL_CONFIG environment to point
    to the
    *** correct copy of curl-config. (In this case, you will have to
    *** modify your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or edit
    /etc/ld.so.conf
    *** so that the correct libraries are found at run-time))
    no
    *** All of curl dependent parts will be disabled ***
    checking for socket in -lsocket... no
    checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
    checking for aalib-config... no
    checking for aainfo... no
    checking for AALIB version >= 1.2.0... no
    *** The aalib-config|aainfo program installed by AALIB could not be
    found
    *** If AALIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
    *** your path, or use --with-aalib-prefix to set the prefix
    *** where AALIB is installed.
    checking for png_read_info in -lpng... no
    configure: error: *** libpng is needed (PNG library not found) - try
    to use --wi
    th-png-prefix option ***

    Can anyone help me with this mess? Anyways, here's the full thing:
    http://krhis.ath.cx/log.txt

    Thank you for your help!

    And just to make life easier...
    Dir for Xine Lib: /home/chris/xine/xine-lib-1-rc3a
    Dir for Xine UI: /home/chris/xine/xine-ui-0.9.23
    Krhis, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Krhis

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:20:19 -0800, Krhis pecked at a keyboard in panic:

    > RedHat 9, using the tutorial from: http://snipurl.com/46y6
    > The install of Xine Lib went great, bit when I get to the point were I
    > use '$./configure' (without the quotes) on the Xine UI I get the
    > fallowing:

    Make life easier for yourself! I never did like Red Hat. Use apt-rpm for
    package management and make sure you install synaptic for a pretty Gui.

    http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/
    What is APT-RPM ?

    APT-RPM is a port of Debian's apt tools to a RPM based distribution (Red
    Hat, Conectiva, SuSE etc). apt-get is an advanced package management
    utility front-end which allows you to easily perform package
    installation, upgrading and removal. Dependencies are automatically
    handled, so if you try to install a package that needs others to be
    installed, it will download all needed packages and install them.

    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345
    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Krhis wrote:

    > RedHat 9, using the tutorial from: http://snipurl.com/46y6
    > The install of Xine Lib went great, bit when I get to the point were I
    > use '$./configure' (without the quotes) on the Xine UI I get the
    > fallowing:

    <snip>

    Find the rpm for XineLib. Then type

    rpm xinelib

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Krhis

    Krhis Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message news:<XfHSb.8247$%>...
    > Krhis wrote:
    >
    > > RedHat 9, using the tutorial from: http://snipurl.com/46y6
    > > The install of Xine Lib went great, bit when I get to the point were I
    > > use '$./configure' (without the quotes) on the Xine UI I get the
    > > fallowing:

    > <snip>
    >
    > Find the rpm for XineLib. Then type
    >
    > rpm xinelib

    Using http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/xine-lib/xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr.i386.rpm

    [chris@localhost xine]$ rpm xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr.i386.rpm -i
    warning: xinelib.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b
    error: Failed dependencies:
    aalib is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    alsa-lib is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    flac is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    glut is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    libFLAC.so.4 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    libaa.so.1 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    libasound.so.2 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    libasound.so.2(ALSA_0.9) is needed by
    xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    libfame is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    libfame-0.9.so.0 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    libspeex.so.1 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    speex is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    xvidcore is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-0.2.rc1.fr
    Krhis, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Krhis wrote:

    <snip>

    Update your installation using RedHat's updater.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Krhis

    Krhis Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message news:<DM1Tb.8523$>...
    > Krhis wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Update your installation using RedHat's updater.

    I can't, I keep getting "problem registering username"
    Krhis, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Krhis wrote:

    > "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> Krhis wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Update your installation using RedHat's updater.

    > I can't, I keep getting "problem registering username"

    Well, I'm a Mandrake man. Try asking in one of the Linux groups.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Feb 1, 2004
  8. On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:22:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Krhis in message

    > "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> Krhis wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Update your installation using RedHat's updater.

    > I can't, I keep getting "problem registering username"

    There is a patch for the updater, and that error is symptomatic of the old
    Up2date. Have you patched it? The latest version is 3.1.23.2-1, I believe. If
    you haven't updated up2date, you need to do so. There are two packages.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 2733
    The Old Sourdough, Feb 2, 2004
  9. Krhis

    Krhis Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message news:<DM1Tb.8523$>...
    > Krhis wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Update your installation using RedHat's updater.

    Ok, downloaded like 4 RPM's and redid everything and got it to work!
    Thank you for your help.
    Krhis, Feb 2, 2004