    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    "Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"
    Mark Remfrey, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Mark Remfrey wrote:
    > Hey nz.comp crew,
    >
    > First off, happy new year to you all!
    >
    > Okay, I have scored myself a cheap rack server with 20 blades, each
    > containing a single P4 2.0GHz CPU with 1GB of RAM, and a 80GB HDD. I'm going
    > to build a small linux based render farm with it, but need some
    > recommendations as to the best flavour to run in this environment.
    >
    > Anyone been fluffing around with render farms of any type to provide some
    > advice?

    Just curious, how did you score yourself a cheap rack server with 20
    blades? How cheap is 'cheap' anyhow?

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Mark Remfrey

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 07:58:39 +1300, Mark Remfrey wrote:

    > Hey nz.comp crew,
    >
    > First off, happy new year to you all!
    >
    > Okay, I have scored myself a cheap rack server with 20 blades, each
    > containing a single P4 2.0GHz CPU with 1GB of RAM, and a 80GB HDD. I'm
    > going to build a small linux based render farm with it, but need some
    > recommendations as to the best flavour to run in this environment.
    >
    > Anyone been fluffing around with render farms of any type to provide some
    > advice?

    First of all, let me be the first to say... you bastard :)
    Secondly let me be the first to say... gizza turn ow :)

    But seriously the *best* linux would depend on other factors
    If you want simplicity look at something like Ubuntu, or Red Hat (bloat
    warning)
    If you want pure performance, then Gentoo If you want something
    in the middle then Slackware to Debian based distros Debian based will
    give you apt which I cannot rave enough about, and legendary stability
    Slackware will give you customisability second to none which will be good
    for paring it down to something lean and mean :)

    hth

    --
    Knock, knock!
    Who's there?
    Shane, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Mark Remfrey

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Remfrey wrote:
    >
    > Just curious, how did you score yourself a cheap rack server with 20
    > blades? How cheap is 'cheap' anyhow?

    Well, let me re-phrase that slightly.... it still cost a fair whack, but
    still got it at a fantastic price.

    Mark Remfrey, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Mark Remfrey

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 07:58:39 +1300, Mark Remfrey wrote:
    >
    > First of all, let me be the first to say... you bastard :)
    > Secondly let me be the first to say... gizza turn ow :)

    hehehe... I bought it for a specific purpose, but will also probably utilise
    unused CPU to some BOINC related projects.

    > But seriously the *best* linux would depend on other factors
    > If you want simplicity look at something like Ubuntu, or Red Hat (bloat
    > warning)
    > If you want pure performance, then Gentoo If you want something
    > in the middle then Slackware to Debian based distros Debian based will
    > give you apt which I cannot rave enough about, and legendary stability
    > Slackware will give you customisability second to none which will be good
    > for paring it down to something lean and mean :)

    Taking notes, thanks. I'll post more when I have finalised my renderer
    selection and it's requirements, to get a better idea on the best pick.
    Thanks.

    Mark Remfrey, Jan 2, 2006
  6. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:29:08 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 07:58:39 +1300, Mark Remfrey wrote:
    >
    >> Hey nz.comp crew,
    >>
    >> First off, happy new year to you all!
    >>
    >> Okay, I have scored myself a cheap rack server with 20 blades, each
    >> containing a single P4 2.0GHz CPU with 1GB of RAM, and a 80GB HDD. I'm
    >> going to build a small linux based render farm with it, but need some
    >> recommendations as to the best flavour to run in this environment.
    >>
    >> Anyone been fluffing around with render farms of any type to provide some
    >> advice?

    > First of all, let me be the first to say... you bastard :)
    > Secondly let me be the first to say... gizza turn ow :)

    Hey ehoa. Is a single blade a fully self-contained computer? Does that
    make a rack full of blades simply a whacking great number of computers in
    a small space?

    And given that the rack in question is full of P4s, would that make a
    bloody good heater in wintertime? ;o)

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    "Simply opening the wrong Web page or receiving an e-mail with an errant
    image file could be enough to cripple your computer, thanks to a newly
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 2, 2006
  7. Mark Remfrey

    Allistar Guest

    Mark Remfrey wrote:

    > Hey nz.comp crew,
    >
    > First off, happy new year to you all!
    >
    > Okay, I have scored myself a cheap rack server with 20 blades, each
    > containing a single P4 2.0GHz CPU with 1GB of RAM, and a 80GB HDD. I'm
    > going to build a small linux based render farm with it, but need some
    > recommendations as to the best flavour to run in this environment.
    >
    > Anyone been fluffing around with render farms of any type to provide some
    > advice?

    I would use gentoo (only because it's what I use and should be well suited).
    Take a look at:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_OpenMosix-Cluster

    and

    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/hpc-howto.xml

    This is interesting too:

    http://www.drqueue.org/index.php

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jan 2, 2006
  8. Mark Remfrey

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:29:08 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 07:58:39 +1300, Mark Remfrey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey nz.comp crew,
    >>>
    >>> First off, happy new year to you all!
    >>>
    >>> Okay, I have scored myself a cheap rack server with 20 blades, each
    >>> containing a single P4 2.0GHz CPU with 1GB of RAM, and a 80GB HDD. I'm
    >>> going to build a small linux based render farm with it, but need some
    >>> recommendations as to the best flavour to run in this environment.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone been fluffing around with render farms of any type to provide
    >>> some
    >>> advice?

    >> First of all, let me be the first to say... you bastard :)
    >> Secondly let me be the first to say... gizza turn ow :)

    > Hey ehoa. Is a single blade a fully self-contained computer? Does that
    > make a rack full of blades simply a whacking great number of computers in
    > a small space?

    yes and yes.

    > And given that the rack in question is full of P4s, would that make a
    > bloody good heater in wintertime? ;o)

    Yes it would. Although I won't be installing it at home :) It will remain
    in-situ, as the company I got it from are happy to support it's use in their
    environment which is better suited for keeping it cool. I'll be
    administrating it remotely at most times.

    Mark Remfrey, Jan 2, 2006
  9. Mark Remfrey

    shannon Guest

    Mark Remfrey wrote:
    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 07:58:39 +1300, Mark Remfrey wrote:
    >>
    >>First of all, let me be the first to say... you bastard :)
    >>Secondly let me be the first to say... gizza turn ow :)

    > hehehe... I bought it for a specific purpose, but will also probably utilise
    > unused CPU to some BOINC related projects.
    >

    >>But seriously the *best* linux would depend on other factors
    >>If you want simplicity look at something like Ubuntu, or Red Hat (bloat
    >>warning)
    >>If you want pure performance, then Gentoo If you want something
    >>in the middle then Slackware to Debian based distros Debian based will
    >>give you apt which I cannot rave enough about, and legendary stability
    >>Slackware will give you customisability second to none which will be good
    >>for paring it down to something lean and mean :)

    > Taking notes, thanks. I'll post more when I have finalised my renderer
    > selection and it's requirements, to get a better idea on the best pick.
    > Thanks.

    Have a look at clusterknoppix
    http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/
    It has the clustering and rendering stuff, povray blender etc, it boots
    the nodes via PXE, its a good demo to start from, maybe.
    Its hard disk installable and when its installed it works with debian
    repositaries
    shannon, Jan 2, 2006
  10. Mark Remfrey

    gimp Guest

    Mark Remfrey wrote:
    > Taking notes, thanks. I'll post more when I have finalised my renderer
    > selection and it's requirements, to get a better idea on the best pick.

    you mean 3D rendering..? definitely you'll want to choose a renderer
    first, do you do modelling/animation or will you be rendering client
    material... (and if so how much will you charge ;) ). i use Maya which
    AFAIK is only certified for Redhat, but i'm sure someone got it to run
    on Suse as well. in terms of the renderer itself i actually use mental
    ray, which does support linux but not sure what distros. still using
    windows for my 3D workstation [runs for cover].
    gimp, Jan 2, 2006
  11. Mark Remfrey

    Dave Green Guest

    Shane wrote:
    [...]
    > --
    > Knock, knock!
    > Who's there?
    > Sam and Janet.
    > Sam and Janet who?
    > Sam and Janet Evening...

    haha, I get it ... I must be too old.

    Dave Green, Jan 2, 2006
  12. Mark Remfrey

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <AJeuf.11989$>,
    "Mark Remfrey" <> wrote:

    > Hey nz.comp crew,
    >
    > First off, happy new year to you all!
    >
    > Okay, I have scored myself a cheap rack server with 20 blades, each
    > containing a single P4 2.0GHz CPU with 1GB of RAM, and a 80GB HDD. I'm going
    > to build a small linux based render farm with it, but need some
    > recommendations as to the best flavour to run in this environment.

    It really deosn't matter. The differences between distributions are in
    the GUI and which programs are supplied and in install procedures.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Jan 2, 2006
  13. Mark Remfrey

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Green wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    > [...]
    >> --
    >> Knock, knock!
    >> Who's there?
    >> Sam and Janet.
    >> Sam and Janet who?
    >> Sam and Janet Evening...

    > haha, I get it ... I must be too old.

    I still don't get it. However, in my own defence, I have the worst headache
    I've had for ages (and I haven't been drinking or anything). Might have to
    have a lie-down.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2006
  14. Mark Remfrey

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:52:41 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Dave Green wrote:
    >> Shane wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> --
    >>> Knock, knock!
    >>> Who's there?
    >>> Sam and Janet.
    >>> Sam and Janet who?
    >>> Sam and Janet Evening...

    >> haha, I get it ... I must be too old.

    > I still don't get it. However, in my own defence, I have the worst
    > headache I've had for ages (and I haven't been drinking or anything).
    > Might have to have a lie-down.

    I dont get it either, but Im not going to admit that cos it was on my sig
    (damn fortunes)
    :)

    --
    Ambiguity:
    Telling the truth when you don't mean to.
    Shane, Jan 3, 2006
  15. Mark Remfrey

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:52:41 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >>Dave Green wrote:
    >>
    >>>Shane wrote:
    >>>[...]
    >>>

    >>>haha, I get it ... I must be too old.

    >>I still don't get it. However, in my own defence, I have the worst
    >>headache I've had for ages (and I haven't been drinking or anything).
    >>Might have to have a lie-down.

    > I dont get it either, but Im not going to admit that cos it was on my sig
    > (damn fortunes)
    > :)

    Guys, c'mon, it's from South Pacific.

    http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/southpacific/someenchantedevening.htm
    -=rjh=-, Jan 3, 2006
  16. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:52:41 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Knock, knock!
    >>> Who's there?
    >>> Sam and Janet.
    >>> Sam and Janet who?
    >>> Sam and Janet Evening...

    >> haha, I get it ... I must be too old.

    > I still don't get it. However, in my own defence, I have the worst headache
    > I've had for ages (and I haven't been drinking or anything). Might have to
    > have a lie-down.

    <Whistling>
    "Some Enchanted Evening" La da da di dah duh
    </Whistling>

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
  17. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:45:08 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > I dont get it either, but Im not going to admit that cos it was on my sig
    > (damn fortunes)

    It's a reference to a song from a broadway show.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
  18. Mark Remfrey

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:46:24 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Shane wrote:

    >>>I still don't get it. However, in my own defence, I have the worst
    >>>headache I've had for ages (and I haven't been drinking or anything).
    >>>Might have to have a lie-down.

    >> I dont get it either, but Im not going to admit that cos it was on my
    >> sig (damn fortunes)
    >> :)
    >>

    > Guys, c'mon, it's from South Pacific.
    >

    > http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/southpacific/someenchantedevening.htm

    for the second time today (on usenet) Im fetching my dunce cap and
    booking a seat in the corner :\

    --
    He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough.
    -- Lao Tsu
    Shane, Jan 3, 2006
  19. Mark Remfrey

    shannon Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > for the second time today (on usenet) Im fetching my dunce cap and
    > booking a seat in the corner :\

    I'm in for using a bad word.
    Have a beer.
    shannon, Jan 3, 2006
  20. Mark Remfrey

    Enkidu Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:

    > Hey ehoa. Is a single blade a fully self-contained computer? Does that
    > make a rack full of blades simply a whacking great number of computers in
    > a small space?
    >
    > And given that the rack in question is full of P4s, would that make a
    > bloody good heater in wintertime? ;o)

    A blade enclosure full of blades does raise the temparature locally. I
    can vouch for that. Two of them makes it bl88dy hot.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jan 3, 2006