    Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?

    I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.

    Any thoughts?
    RS, Sep 25, 2004

  2. RS

    bambam Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:32:18 -0500, RS wrote:

    > Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
    >
    > I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    If you want to have a play with Linux and not risk your existing system,
    Knoppix is the best way to do this IMHO-

    http://www.knoppix.org/
    bambam, Sep 25, 2004

  3. RS

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "RS" <> wrote in news::

    > Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
    >
    > I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the XP
    partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have a dual
    boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or Linux boot
    path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at SuSe Linux Personal
    $29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you can
    call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup help. SuSe
    is distributed by Novell.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 25, 2004
  4. RS

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Sep 25, 2004
  5. RS

    Payne747 Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:32:18 -0500, RS wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
    >>
    >>I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts?

    > If you want to have a play with Linux and not risk your existing system,
    > Knoppix is the best way to do this IMHO-
    >
    > http://www.knoppix.org/

    Alternativly, install Linux using VMWare or something similar, you can
    always create a seperate partition on your disk and then load linux, if
    you don't like it, simply delete the partition and fdisk /mbr your boot
    sector to remove LILO.

    --
    Payne747
    http://www-the-serpent.co.uk

    Change 200 to 747 to reply to email.
    Payne747, Sep 25, 2004
  6. RS

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:32:18 -0500, RS wrote:

    > Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
    >
    > I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Get a second hard drive and unplug your XP drive. Install linux by itself
    on it's own drive, that way there is no risk to your XP system at all. If
    you don't like Linux you can always reformat the drive and use it as a
    backup hdd or something. This involves opening your computer box, of
    course. If your not comfortable with that, by all means heed the
    suggestions of the others.
    JTJersey, Sep 25, 2004
  7. RS

    Anan Amis Guest

    > > Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
    > >
    > > I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > >

    > If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the XP
    > partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have a dual
    > boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or Linux boot
    > path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at SuSe Linux

    Personal
    > $29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you can
    > call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup help.

    SuSe
    > is distributed by Novell.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Is WinLinux any good? What is your opinion Duane?
    Anan Amis, Sep 25, 2004
  8. "RS" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
    >
    > I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.

    no but try the live bootable cd, no installation necessary

    Iain Dingsdale, Sep 25, 2004
  9. RS

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Anan Amis" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "RS" <> wrote in

    >> > Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
    >> >
    >> > I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts?
    >> >

    >> If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the
    >> XP partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have
    >> a dual boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or
    >> Linux boot path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at
    >> SuSe Linux

    > Personal
    >> $29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you
    >> can call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup
    >> help.

    > SuSe
    >> is distributed by Novell.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > Is WinLinux any good? What is your opinion Duane?

    I have only been using SuSe Linux and I cannot tell you about WinLinux.
    You can tell me about WinLinux if you decide to go with it. WinLinux must
    be the other penguin I kind of heard about. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 25, 2004
  10. RS

    > "Anan Amis" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > >> "RS" <> wrote in

    > >> If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the
    > >> XP partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have
    > >> a dual boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or
    > >> Linux boot path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at
    > >> SuSe Linux

    > > Personal
    > >> $29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you
    > >> can call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup
    > >> help.

    > > SuSe
    > >> is distributed by Novell.
    > >>
    > >> Duane :)
    > >>

    > > Is WinLinux any good? What is your opinion Duane?
    > >

    > I have only been using SuSe Linux and I cannot tell you about WinLinux.
    > You can tell me about WinLinux if you decide to go with it. WinLinux must
    > be the other penguin I kind of heard about. ;-)
    >
    > Duane :)

    I don't know for sure, but I think it's a Windows program that emulates
    Linux. I can't think what it would be good for except to get experience with
    Linux prior to installing the real thing .
    Anan Amis, Sep 26, 2004
  11. RS

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Anan Amis" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "Anan Amis" <> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    >> > Personal
    >> > SuSe

    >> > Is WinLinux any good? What is your opinion Duane?
    >> >

    >> I have only been using SuSe Linux and I cannot tell you about
    >> WinLinux. You can tell me about WinLinux if you decide to go with it.
    >> WinLinux must be the other penguin I kind of heard about. ;-)
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > I don't know for sure, but I think it's a Windows program that
    > emulates Linux. I can't think what it would be good for except to get
    > experience with Linux prior to installing the real thing .

    According to the documentation, it's full blown Linux running on the MS
    Windows 9'x and ME platforms.

    http://tinyurl.com/69w4p

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 26, 2004