    it. And, for those who would be calling me lazy, you're right. I'm
    perfectly content with Windows, so Linux has to intice me somehow.
    Making installation simple would be a great start.

    Zilbandy, Sep 10, 2005

  2. Zilbandy

    Anders Guest

    Zilbandy wrote:
    > Everytime I visit a linux site with the thought of maybe
    > downloading a version, I see lots of downloadable files, but nothing
    > straight forward enough for me to feel like I'm doing it right. Is
    > there a version of Linux with a GUI that's free, easy to download and
    > foolproof to install? I know from my own viewpoint, if it was easier
    > to figure out the installation procedure, I would be willing to try
    > it. And, for those who would be calling me lazy, you're right. I'm
    > perfectly content with Windows, so Linux has to intice me somehow.
    > Making installation simple would be a great start.

    ubuntu.org

    Try the live cd first, to see if it is going to work on
    you're pc.

    Regards Anders.

    Anders, Sep 10, 2005

  3. Zilbandy

    Anders Guest

    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

    Anders, Sep 10, 2005
  4. Zilbandy

    GuessWho Guest

    There is a version of Debian Linux marketed by Linspire (www.linspire.com).
    They are at version 5.0.059 with fully supports AMD 64 processors although
    only at 32 bit. Although I don't have a link, it can usually be downloaded
    for free. You have to go through the purchase process and then enter a code
    which deducts the purchase price. Try the Linspire site.

    Linspire also has a feature they call CNR which features a fully automated
    download and install of a fairly large selection of software - most of which
    is free. There is a charge for the CNR service but you usually get an
    initial month free. After that, if you want to continue, there is a monthly
    or yearly fee.

    After you download the file, you can 'burn' it to a CD. Make sure you select
    burn as an image, or some such language, when using Nero. I'm not sure if
    the Roxio product has this option, but the burner included in XP doesn't.
    After you've burned the image just pop the disc in your drive and assuming
    your BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM as the first option, just sit back and
    enjoy.

    There is an option during setup to either take over the HDD or use a
    portion. If you use the portion option you can then have a dual boot system.
    However, this option may only apply to XP OSs.

    Linspire also has a "live-CD" version of the OS. This allows you to run from
    the CD without installing anything on your machine. However, if you go this
    route you may be limited to the software that is included on the disc. Also,
    I'm not sure if the "live-CD" version is free.

    Wayne

    GuessWho, Sep 10, 2005
  5. "Zilbandy" <> wrote in message
    > Everytime I visit a linux site with the thought of maybe
    > downloading a version, I see lots of downloadable files, but nothing
    > straight forward enough for me to feel like I'm doing it right. Is
    > there a version of Linux with a GUI that's free, easy to download and
    > foolproof to install? I know from my own viewpoint, if it was easier
    > to figure out the installation procedure, I would be willing to try
    > it. And, for those who would be calling me lazy, you're right. I'm
    > perfectly content with Windows, so Linux has to intice me somehow.
    > Making installation simple would be a great start.

    Most vendors have made great strides with installation. I've been using Red
    Hat for years and (with the exception of one cock-up when lurching to the
    Gnome GUI), installation is painless on the more recent versions.

    Most of it is by hiding some of the more advanced options and setting things
    like partition sizes automatically.

    If you don't mind not picking-out specific packages you'd want/not want, it
    only takes a little longer than a Win2000 installation.

    As has been pointed-out, there are also versions available on bootable CD,
    just for you to get an idea.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 10, 2005
  6. Zilbandy

    hatschi Guest

    For lazy beginners I would recommend Ubuntu Linux as mentioned before.
    It is based on Debian and you have the Debian package system which does
    a very nice job by installing and maintaining your software.
    Although you have the benefit of the debian experience of the major
    distro which runs in most universtities as server os.

    It is in difference to Linspire free and no licence fees has to be paid,
    which in my opinion is the best reason to change from windows os.

    You can also try a different GUI by using KDE with Kubuntu. Same Distro
    - other Look and Feel. (Ubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop)

    Have Fun!

    hatschi, Sep 10, 2005
  7. Zilbandy

    Imhotep Guest

    hatschi wrote:

    > For lazy beginners I would recommend Ubuntu Linux as mentioned before.
    > It is based on Debian and you have the Debian package system which does
    > a very nice job by installing and maintaining your software.
    > Although you have the benefit of the debian experience of the major
    > distro which runs in most universtities as server os.
    >
    > It is in difference to Linspire free and no licence fees has to be paid,
    > which in my opinion is the best reason to change from windows os.
    >
    > You can also try a different GUI by using KDE with Kubuntu. Same Distro
    > - other Look and Feel. (Ubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop)
    >
    > Have Fun!
    >
    > Zilbandy schrieb:
    >> Everytime I visit a linux site with the thought of maybe
    >> downloading a version, I see lots of downloadable files, but nothing
    >> straight forward enough for me to feel like I'm doing it right. Is
    >> there a version of Linux with a GUI that's free, easy to download and
    >> foolproof to install? I know from my own viewpoint, if it was easier
    >> to figure out the installation procedure, I would be willing to try
    >> it. And, for those who would be calling me lazy, you're right. I'm
    >> perfectly content with Windows, so Linux has to intice me somehow.
    >> Making installation simple would be a great start.

    New release info here:

    http://lwn.net/Articles/150972/

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 11, 2005
  8. Zilbandy

    Greg Guest

    Why not try Knoppix (www.knopper.net)? Download the ISO and burn it to
    a cd. Knoppix a bootable Linux O/S based on Debian, and it boots to X
    (gui) by default. Of course you can look at the Knoppix cheat codes to
    see how to boot using various options.

    The great thing about Knoppix is that you don't have to install it to
    try out Linux. Try it...I think you'll be very impressed!

    Greg, Sep 11, 2005
  9. Zilbandy

    Unruh Guest

    Imhotep <> writes:

    >hatschi wrote:

    >> For lazy beginners I would recommend Ubuntu Linux as mentioned before.
    >> It is based on Debian and you have the Debian package system which does
    >> a very nice job by installing and maintaining your software.
    >> Although you have the benefit of the debian experience of the major
    >> distro which runs in most universtities as server os.
    >>
    >> It is in difference to Linspire free and no licence fees has to be paid,
    >> which in my opinion is the best reason to change from windows os.
    >>
    >> You can also try a different GUI by using KDE with Kubuntu. Same Distro
    >> - other Look and Feel. (Ubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop)
    >>
    >> Have Fun!
    >>
    >> Zilbandy schrieb:
    >>> Everytime I visit a linux site with the thought of maybe
    >>> downloading a version, I see lots of downloadable files, but nothing
    >>> straight forward enough for me to feel like I'm doing it right. Is
    >>> there a version of Linux with a GUI that's free, easy to download and
    >>> foolproof to install? I know from my own viewpoint, if it was easier
    >>> to figure out the installation procedure, I would be willing to try
    >>> it. And, for those who would be calling me lazy, you're right. I'm
    >>> perfectly content with Windows, so Linux has to intice me somehow.
    >>> Making installation simple would be a great start.

    Most of the distros fit your requirement. You download the iso files. You
    burn them to CD, stick the first cd into your cdrom drive and reboot.
    Is it foolproof to install. Of course not. No distro yet can install if the
    user inserts the cd into the drive upside down for example. Is installation
    relatively straightforward? Yes.

    Unruh, Sep 11, 2005
  10. Zilbandy

    Robin T Cox Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:50:17 -0700, Zilbandy wrote:

    > Everytime I visit a linux site with the thought of maybe
    > downloading a version, I see lots of downloadable files, but nothing
    > straight forward enough for me to feel like I'm doing it right. Is
    > there a version of Linux with a GUI that's free, easy to download and
    > foolproof to install? I know from my own viewpoint, if it was easier
    > to figure out the installation procedure, I would be willing to try
    > it. And, for those who would be calling me lazy, you're right. I'm
    > perfectly content with Windows, so Linux has to intice me somehow.
    > Making installation simple would be a great start.

    Try MEPIS:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis

    Installation is easy, and it's a very stable distro with lots of friendly
    online support.

    Robin T Cox, Sep 12, 2005