    what have i got going on here? it's driving me nuts!

    salamandir
    salamandir at spamcop dot net
    salamandir, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Blinky the Shark, Apr 9, 2004

  3. salamandir

    philo Guest

    "salamandir" <> wrote in message
    news:pan.2004.04.09.01.26.18.677572@fogbloot...
    > i'm running mandrake 10, and according to /etc/fstab the zip drive is
    > supposed to mount at /mnt/zip but it doesn't... and when i su and type
    > mount -t ext2 /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip it says mount: permission denied
    >
    > what have i got going on here? it's driving me nuts!
    >
    > salamandir
    > salamandir at spamcop dot net

    unless you actually formatted the drive as ext2 you cannot mount it as such

    try mounting it without the parameter...
    philo, Apr 9, 2004
  4. salamandir

    Parko Guest

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:26:19 -0700, salamandir wrote:

    > what have i got going on here? it's driving me nuts!

    A Beta. Happily using Mdk 9.2, with the 'enterpis' kernel. Fast enough.
    Wait for the real release.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Parko wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:26:19 -0700, salamandir wrote:
    >
    >> what have i got going on here? it's driving me nuts!

    > A Beta. Happily using Mdk 9.2, with the 'enterpis' kernel. Fast enough.
    > Wait for the real release.

    Oh, come on! I'm happily running it without any major issue and hardly
    any minor ones.

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    Jeroen Wijnands, Apr 9, 2004
  6. philo wrote:

    > "salamandir" <> wrote in message
    >> i'm running mandrake 10, and according to /etc/fstab the zip drive is
    >> supposed to mount at /mnt/zip but it doesn't... and when i su and type
    >> mount -t ext2 /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip it says mount: permission denied
    >>
    >> what have i got going on here? it's driving me nuts!
    >>
    >> salamandir
    >> salamandir at spamcop dot net

    > unless you actually formatted the drive as ext2 you cannot mount it as such
    >
    > try mounting it without the parameter...

    or try mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip

    Jeroen Wijnands, Apr 9, 2004
  7. salamandir

    salamandir Guest

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:28:20 +0000, Jeroen Wijnands, an eminent
    manifestation of divinity, wrote:

    >> unless you actually formatted the drive as ext2 you cannot mount it as
    >> such
    >>
    >> try mounting it without the parameter...
    >>

    > or try mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip

    no, you all don't seem to understand...

    i've got the disk formatted with ext2, not vfat. even when i su and type
    "mount /mnt/zip" i get "mount: permission denied". i've even gone so far
    as to login as root and type chmod 777 /bin/mount but even that has no
    effect.

    i'm sure that the problem is with mount, because the hardware seems to
    be working the way it's supposed to, even the zip cartridge itself.

    and alt.os.linux.mandrake has not had any better ideas yet... in fact,
    they've had *no* ideas.

    any clues?

    salamandir, Apr 9, 2004
  8. salamandir

    > On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:28:20 +0000, Jeroen Wijnands, an eminent
    > manifestation of divinity, wrote:
    >
    > >> unless you actually formatted the drive as ext2 you cannot mount it as
    > >> such
    > >>
    > >> try mounting it without the parameter...
    > >>

    > > or try mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip

    > no, you all don't seem to understand...
    >
    > i've got the disk formatted with ext2, not vfat. even when i su and type
    > "mount /mnt/zip" i get "mount: permission denied". i've even gone so far
    > as to login as root and type chmod 777 /bin/mount but even that has no
    > effect.

    still...try it without the parameter
    just try a simple mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip
    (at least that's what i had to do to mount my compact flash card)
    philo, Apr 9, 2004
  9. salamandir

    salamandir Guest

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:41:07 -0500, philo, an eminent manifestation of
    divinity, wrote:

    >> i've got the disk formatted with ext2, not vfat. even when i su and type
    >> "mount /mnt/zip" i get "mount: permission denied". i've even gone so far
    >> as to login as root and type chmod 777 /bin/mount but even that has no
    >> effect.
    >>

    > still...try it without the parameter
    > just try a simple mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip
    > (at least that's what i had to do to mount my compact flash card)

    mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip
    mount: permission denied

    any *other* ideas?
    salamandir, Apr 9, 2004
  10. salamandir

    > On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:41:07 -0500, philo, an eminent manifestation of
    > divinity, wrote:
    >
    > >> i've got the disk formatted with ext2, not vfat. even when i su and

    type
    > >> "mount /mnt/zip" i get "mount: permission denied". i've even gone so

    far
    > >> as to login as root and type chmod 777 /bin/mount but even that has no
    > >> effect.
    > >>

    > > still...try it without the parameter
    > > just try a simple mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip
    > > (at least that's what i had to do to mount my compact flash card)

    > mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip
    > mount: permission denied
    >
    > any *other* ideas?

    wait a second...
    how did you come up with sda4 ?

    if you don't have other external devices or scsi drives
    it would probably be sda1
    philo, Apr 9, 2004
  11. philo wrote:

    > "salamandir" <> wrote in message

    > type

    > far

    >> > still...try it without the parameter
    >> > just try a simple mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip
    >> > (at least that's what i had to do to mount my compact flash card)

    >> mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip
    >> mount: permission denied

    >> any *other* ideas?

    > wait a second...
    > how did you come up with sda4 ?

    > if you don't have other external devices or scsi drives
    > it would probably be sda1

    That's where zips seem to go, even if they're the only /dev/scsi device present.
    Google tutorials on installing them, and you'll see sda4 as the device file.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 9, 2004
  12. salamandir

    salamandir Guest

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:42:23 -0500, philo, an eminent manifestation of
    divinity, wrote:

    >> mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip
    >> mount: permission denied
    >>
    >> any *other* ideas?

    > wait a second...
    > how did you come up with sda4 ?
    >
    > if you don't have other external devices or scsi drives it would probably
    > be sda1

    it doesn't matter whether sda1 or sda4, i still get "mount: permission
    denied"...

    and i "came up with" sda4 because when i open drakconf and click "Mount
    Points" and then the zip drive, it says /dev/sda4 gets mounted at /mnt/zip
    salamandir, Apr 9, 2004