Linux printing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PorkChop, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. PorkChop

    PorkChop Guest

    PorkChop, Jun 12, 2004

  2. PorkChop

    steve Guest

    PorkChop wrote:
    > interesting read ...
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
    >
    > Paul

    He must have been using the wrong distro.

    On Xandros, I just tell it what sort of printer it is and whether or not
    it's local or network....and away I go.

    I've not had any trouble printing on Linux - even on a network - for
    several years.
    steve, Jun 12, 2004

  3. PorkChop

    a Guest

    In article <3Vxyc.1265$>,
    says...
    > interesting read ...
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
    >

    > Paul

    You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
    what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
    all - or restort to appletalk.
    a, Jun 12, 2004
  4. PorkChop

    thing Guest

    a wrote:
    > In article <3Vxyc.1265$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>interesting read ...
    >>
    >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
    >>

    >>Paul

    > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
    > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
    > all - or restort to appletalk.

    lol, assuming you can get your Mac to auto-negotiate the correct speed
    and get on your LAN otherwise your stuffed....mine wont it runs off a
    1/2 dup hub because it wont switch to dup 100....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 12, 2004
  5. In article <3Vxyc.1265$>,
    says...
    > interesting read ...
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

    Comparing Linux and Windows, the different markets that these products
    are targeted at is very obvious.

    Unix originated from a group of hackers who also developed the C
    programming language. Unix has inherited the same terseness and other
    less desirable traits of the C language it was programmed in.

    The problem with open source software is that the people who develop it
    are, by and large, technowizzes who are so wrapped up in the code they
    are writing that real-world issues like the user interface and
    documentation take second place. They are dedicated hard core hackers for
    the most part who assume that everyone who uses their software will have
    as much knowledge as they do about the systems that it runs on.

    Microsoft (and for that matter Apple) has done a lot better job in
    bridging the gap between the technical issues of software design and the
    user interface for non-technical computer users, than Linux has achieved
    so far. If Linux is ever going to have a chance of competing successfully
    with these established companies the developers of Linux and applications
    that run on it are, somehow, going to have to leave that geekiness well
    behind.
    Patrick Dunford, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Patrick Dunford, Jun 12, 2004
  7. PorkChop

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <HCyyc.2037$>,
    thing <> wrote:

    > lol, assuming you can get your Mac to auto-negotiate the correct speed
    > and get on your LAN otherwise your stuffed....mine wont it runs off a
    > 1/2 dup hub because it wont switch to dup 100....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    what model Mac, some do have issues, however I have also seen a few
    switches/hubs that have created the problems by being crap themselves.
    whoisthis, Jun 12, 2004
  8. PorkChop

    Allistar Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <40cab400$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    > says...
    >> PorkChop wrote:
    >> > interesting read ...
    >> >
    >> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
    >> >
    >> > Paul

    >> He must have been using the wrong distro.

    > But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many distros,
    > half of them produced by hackers!

    To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jun 12, 2004
  9. PorkChop

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:12:59 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    >> But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many distros,
    >> half of them produced by hackers!

    > To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.

    Dunford doesn't understand that. To him there can only be One Way.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."
    Divine, Jun 12, 2004
  10. PorkChop

    PorkChop Guest

    a wrote:

    snip

    > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
    > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
    > all - or restort to appletalk.

    What is Appletalk ?

    Paul
    PorkChop, Jun 12, 2004
  11. PorkChop

    PorkChop Guest

    steve wrote:

    > PorkChop wrote:
    >> interesting read ...
    >>
    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
    >>
    >> Paul

    > He must have been using the wrong distro.
    >
    > On Xandros, I just tell it what sort of printer it is and whether or not
    > it's local or network....and away I go.

    News flash windows2000 could do that task in 30 seconds.

    > I've not had any trouble printing on Linux - even on a network - for
    > several years.

    Ive only been using redhat since version 6.1 **shrug ** but from reading the
    newsgroups / irc help channels in that time, i can safely say your talking
    bollocks about well network printer sharing works / drama involved in
    getting it working.

    Did you even read the flippin article ? regarding the help documents the
    guy waded thru , and how the issue of how the HELP files need to be written
    for the non tech geeks if linux is ever going to become main stream.

    Paul.
    PorkChop, Jun 12, 2004
  12. PorkChop

    brundlefly Guest

    "PorkChop" <> wrote in message
    > a wrote:
    >
    > snip
    > >
    > > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
    > > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
    > > all - or restort to appletalk.

    > What is Appletalk ?
    >

    > Paul

    Look it up
    brundlefly, Jun 12, 2004
  13. PorkChop

    brundlefly Guest

    "a" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3Vxyc.1265$>,
    > says...
    > > interesting read ...
    > >
    > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
    > >

    > > Paul

    > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
    > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
    > all - or restort to appletalk.

    OS X uses CUPS
    brundlefly, Jun 12, 2004
  14. PorkChop

    brundlefly Guest

    "PorkChop" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    >
    > > PorkChop wrote:
    > >> interesting read ...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
    > >>
    > >> Paul

    > > He must have been using the wrong distro.
    > >
    > > On Xandros, I just tell it what sort of printer it is and whether or not
    > > it's local or network....and away I go.

    > News flash windows2000 could do that task in 30 seconds.
    > >
    > > I've not had any trouble printing on Linux - even on a network - for
    > > several years.

    > Ive only been using redhat since version 6.1 **shrug ** but from reading

    the
    > newsgroups / irc help channels in that time, i can safely say your talking
    > bollocks about well network printer sharing works / drama involved in
    > getting it working.
    >

    > Did you even read the flippin article ? regarding the help documents

    the
    > guy waded thru , and how the issue of how the HELP files need to be

    written
    > for the non tech geeks if linux is ever going to become main stream.
    >

    > Paul.

    Hardly worth reading, you are just trolling.
    I regularly set up CUPS with Debian, Mandrake and Mac OS X with no problems
    at all
    It seems to me that companies like Xandros are rapidly sorting out Linux for
    consumers and companies like Suse are rapidly sorting out Linux for
    enterprises and there is nothing for you trolls to worry your little plastic
    dayglo fluff covered heads about but thanks for your concern. NOT !
    brundlefly, Jun 12, 2004
  15. PorkChop

    a Guest

    In article <p7Cyc.2071$>,
    says...

    > "a" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <3Vxyc.1265$>,
    > > says...
    > > > interesting read ...
    > > >
    > > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
    > > >

    > > > Paul

    > > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
    > > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
    > > all - or restort to appletalk.
    > >

    > OS X uses CUPS

    <sarcasm>Oh really. I had no idea. </sarcasm>
    a, Jun 12, 2004
  16. PorkChop

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many

    distros,
    > > half of them produced by hackers!

    > To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.

    Ah, here we go -- bowing before the Great God of Choice again! So what
    exactly is the appeal in having to make a "choice" between distros that
    work and distros that don't work?
    Patrick Bold, Jun 12, 2004
  17. PorkChop

    PorkChop Guest

    snip

    > Hardly worth reading, you are just trolling.
    > I regularly set up CUPS with Debian, Mandrake and Mac OS X with no
    > problems at all

    Arrr Im a troll .... and i live under a bridge ... and you have no
    answer to the article.

    > It seems to me that companies like Xandros are rapidly sorting out Linux
    > for consumers and companies like Suse are rapidly sorting out Linux for
    > enterprises and there is nothing for you trolls to worry your little
    > plastic dayglo fluff covered heads about but thanks for your concern. NOT
    > !

    People will read your reply and ask them selves the big question, why didnt
    the Linux community fix the printing problem years ago.

    Its also not just the CUPS documentation approach mindset that needs to
    change, the problem is across the board.

    So stick that tin foil hat back on your head and go back to acting like a
    duck ....

    Paul
    PorkChop, Jun 12, 2004
  18. PorkChop

    PorkChop Guest

    brundlefly wrote:

    >> > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
    >> > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems
    >> > at all - or restort to appletalk.

    >> What is Appletalk ?
    >>

    >> Paul

    > Look it up

    Bite me ..
    PorkChop, Jun 12, 2004
  19. PorkChop

    PorkChop Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >> > But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many

    > distros,
    >> > half of them produced by hackers!

    >> To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.
    >>

    > Ah, here we go -- bowing before the Great God of Choice again! So what
    > exactly is the appeal in having to make a "choice" between distros that
    > work and distros that don't work?

    More confusion ?

    Paul
    PorkChop, Jun 12, 2004
  20. In article <pan.2004.06.12.10.43.30.59257@TRACKER>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:12:59 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    > >> But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many distros,
    > >> half of them produced by hackers!

    > > To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.

    > Dunford doesn't understand that. To him there can only be One Way.

    the problem, which you must admit David Murray, is that the market is
    divided among itself. There are endless numbers of distros competing for
    a very small market share.

    If more energy was put into the issues raised in the OP's post and less
    into creating yet another distro then linux would stand a much greater
    chance.

    As it is, the issues raised by having multiple different windows managers
    are starting to be recognised at last by Linux developers.

    The Mac OS.X is an excellent example of how an operating system can be
    developed from opensource code with the strength of leadership that comes
    from having only one goal - to produce one OS rather than to produce 10
    slightly different ones.
    Patrick Dunford, Jun 12, 2004