    I'd like to see the Apple Mac software from Canon etc made to work
    under Linux. Is that possible?
    --

    Anthony Blunt, Jul 6, 2006

  2. In article <kzfrg.18419$>,
    "Anthony Blunt" <> wrote:

    > Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
    >

    > Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
    > useful for 12 bit RAW images.
    >
    > Bibble's not too great nor is G-Photo nor many other packages.
    >
    > Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
    > competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
    > editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.
    >
    > Are there any programmers from the Linux world out there with their
    > ears open?
    >
    > I'd like to see the Apple Mac software from Canon etc made to work
    > under Linux. Is that possible?

    Get to work. Most fortunes are made by people who recognize and fulfill
    a need before anyone else.

    --
    There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.

    Ockham's Razor, Jul 7, 2006

  3. Anthony Blunt

    rhys sage Guest

    Lol. True but for the fact nobody will pay for Linux software.

    rhys sage, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Anthony Blunt

    Frank Pittel Guest

    Not true at all. Plenty of people and companies spend a lot of money for
    software that runs on linux.

    : Ockham's Razor wrote:

    : > Get to work. Most fortunes are made by people who recognize and
    : > fulfill a need before anyone else.

    : --

    --

    -------------------

    Frank Pittel, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Anthony Blunt

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <_cirg.18962$>,
    "rhys sage" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Lol. True but for the fact nobody will pay for Linux software.

    Are you kidding? Lots of people pay for Linux software. Not all Linux
    software is in the public domain.

    Shawn Hirn, Jul 7, 2006
  6. On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:49:04 GMT, Anthony Blunt wrote:

    > Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?

    Well, it's cheating, I know...
    Having migrated to linux exclusively a little over two years ago,
    I am happy with Picture Window Pro running in wine.

    http://www.dl-c.com/

    Seems my intuitor meshes better with PW than with gimp.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>

    Allodoxaphobia, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Anthony Blunt

    PitR Guest

    Anthony Blunt wrote:
    > Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
    >

    > Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
    > useful for 12 bit RAW images.
    >
    > Bibble's not too great nor is G-Photo nor many other packages.
    >
    > Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
    > competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
    > editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.
    >
    > Are there any programmers from the Linux world out there with their
    > ears open?
    >
    > I'd like to see the Apple Mac software from Canon etc made to work
    > under Linux. Is that possible?
    > --

    I probably won't be able to hack the source code of a commercial
    program, but I could write a quick emulator that would allow you to use
    (most) features of the Canon program for Mac, as they both run under a
    UNIX kernel..

    I don't know what the program is though, but if you let me know where
    to download it from I'll be more than happy to experiment..

    > -- rys sage:

    Furthermore, just because (some) Linux's programs fall under the GNU
    lisence, most programs are not.
    Do you know that Novell own a fair bit of distributions?

    Do you know that UNIX are the most expensive systems out there?

    It's usually best not to comment in such ill-chosen way until you're
    certain that what you're saying is correct.

    Which in this case, it isn't.

    PitR, Jul 7, 2006
  8. Anthony Blunt

    PitR Guest

    PitR wrote:
    > Anthony Blunt wrote:
    > > Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
    > >

    > > Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
    > > useful for 12 bit RAW images.
    > >
    > > Bibble's not too great nor is G-Photo nor many other packages.
    > >
    > > Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
    > > competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
    > > editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.
    > >
    > > Are there any programmers from the Linux world out there with their
    > > ears open?
    > >
    > > I'd like to see the Apple Mac software from Canon etc made to work
    > > under Linux. Is that possible?
    > > --

    > I probably won't be able to hack the source code of a commercial
    > program, but I could write a quick emulator that would allow you to use
    > (most) features of the Canon program for Mac, as they both run under a
    > UNIX kernel..
    >
    > I don't know what the program is though, but if you let me know where
    > to download it from I'll be more than happy to experiment..
    >
    > > -- rys sage:

    > Furthermore, just because (some) Linux's programs fall under the GNU
    > lisence, most programs are not.
    > Do you know that Novell own a fair bit of distributions?
    >
    > Do you know that UNIX are the most expensive systems out there?
    >
    > It's usually best not to comment in such ill-chosen way until you're
    > certain that what you're saying is correct.
    >
    > Which in this case, it isn't.

    BTW.. You can download gimpshop.. I don't know if you'll be able to
    edit 12bit raw images, but its interface resembles photoshop.. Not that
    it'll make much of a difference, but I hate the gimp interface..

    PitR, Jul 7, 2006
  9. Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    >In article <_cirg.18962$>,
    > "rhys sage" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >> Lol. True but for the fact nobody will pay for Linux software.

    >Are you kidding? Lots of people pay for Linux software.

    RedHat, Novell, and IBM all seem to be doing well at selling
    Linux software!

    >Not all Linux
    >software is in the public domain.

    Virtually *no* Linux software is public domain. It is *all*
    copyrighted.

    Oddly enough, the only Unix software that is in the public
    domain is probably what SCO thinks it owns!

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Jul 7, 2006
  10. "Anthony Blunt" <> wrote:
    >Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
    >
    >Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
    >useful for 12 bit RAW images.

    A bogus idea. Whether you use Photoshop or The Gimp, your RAW
    data has to be converted to an image format before you can edit
    it. The internal image format used by The Gimp is indeed an 8
    bit format, but quite frankly unless you are doing some rather
    high end printing that isn't going to make any difference that
    you'll be able to actually see.

    >Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
    >competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
    >editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.

    The Gimp lacks some features that a graphics artist needs, but
    for digital photography it does just fine.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Jul 7, 2006
  11. Anthony Blunt

    PitR Guest

    > Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
    > competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
    > editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.

    Linux has been a competitor to Windows for a long time now -- Moreover,
    it is more advanced than Windows in computing aspects. Windows, with
    their supposed-2004 release of Windows Vista, will implement features
    that have been available to Linux for over 10 years..

    But this isn't an OS discussion board, so I'll leave it at that. :)

    PitR, Jul 7, 2006
  12. Anthony Blunt

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Shawn Hirn <> wrote:

    > In article <_cirg.18962$>,
    > "rhys sage" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    > > Lol. True but for the fact nobody will pay for Linux software.

    > Are you kidding? Lots of people pay for Linux software. Not all Linux
    > software is in the public domain.

    Most linux software *isn't* in the public domain.

    Paul Mitchum, Jul 7, 2006
  13. Anthony Blunt

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Anthony Blunt <> wrote:

    > Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
    >

    > Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
    > useful for 12 bit RAW images.

    There's a fork of GIMP called Cinepaint which can work at up to 32 bits
    per channel. Cinepaint was theoretically going to take it's next quantum
    leap forward on July 4th, but didn't quite make that deadline.

    <http://www.cinepaint.org/>

    Paul Mitchum, Jul 7, 2006
  14. Anthony Blunt

    J. Clarke Guest

    PitR wrote:

    >> Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
    >> competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
    >> editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.

    > Linux has been a competitor to Windows for a long time now -- Moreover,
    > it is more advanced than Windows in computing aspects. Windows, with
    > their supposed-2004 release of Windows Vista, will implement features
    > that have been available to Linux for over 10 years..
    >
    > But this isn't an OS discussion board, so I'll leave it at that. :)

    Yeah, you'll post a falsehood and then refuse to back it up. I'm dying to
    know what those "features" might be.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jul 7, 2006
  15. "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    >PitR wrote:
    >

    >>> Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
    >>> competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
    >>> editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.

    >> Linux has been a competitor to Windows for a long time now -- Moreover,
    >> it is more advanced than Windows in computing aspects. Windows, with
    >> their supposed-2004 release of Windows Vista, will implement features
    >> that have been available to Linux for over 10 years..
    >>
    >> But this isn't an OS discussion board, so I'll leave it at that. :)

    >Yeah, you'll post a falsehood and then refuse to back it up. I'm dying to
    >know what those "features" might be.

    They could start with "security", but I doubt that is what will
    be there...

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Jul 7, 2006
  16. Anthony Blunt

    timeOday Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > Anthony Blunt <> wrote:
    >

    >>Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
    >>

    >>Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
    >>useful for 12 bit RAW images.

    > There's a fork of GIMP called Cinepaint which can work at up to 32 bits
    > per channel. Cinepaint was theoretically going to take it's next quantum
    > leap forward on July 4th, but didn't quite make that deadline.
    >
    > <http://www.cinepaint.org/>

    Having taken a couple brief looks at cinepaint, I'm still confused. It
    seems to be a fork of gimp, but with improved color precision and
    support for some video-centric file formats. But if that's what it is,
    why doesn't it just get rolled back into mainline gimp?

    timeOday, Jul 7, 2006
  17. Anthony Blunt

    rhys sage Guest

    I got my copy of the Canon software from the disc that came with my XT.
    It contains something called Zoom Browser written for Mac and for PC.

    rhys sage, Jul 7, 2006
  18. Anthony Blunt

    rhys sage Guest

    The Gimp interface is one thing that puts me off too. That and the fact
    it won't handle 12-bit graphics.

    rhys sage, Jul 7, 2006
  19. Anthony Blunt

    rhys sage Guest

    I don't doubt Linux is more secure. I found that various versions have
    some failings. For example...

    I tried various 64-bit versions of Linux on my Compaq V2570NR and found
    that the button lights didn't light (minor but annoying) nor did the
    wifi appear to function. I used only run-from CD versions of Linux as I
    don't yet have a USB memory stick to try it on.

    I love the fact there are no live Linux viruses (yet).

    rhys sage, Jul 7, 2006
  20. Anthony Blunt

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    timeOday <> wrote:

    > Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > > Anthony Blunt <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
    > >>
    > >>Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
    > >>useful for 12 bit RAW images.

    > > There's a fork of GIMP called Cinepaint which can work at up to 32 bits
    > > per channel. Cinepaint was theoretically going to take it's next quantum
    > > leap forward on July 4th, but didn't quite make that deadline.
    > >
    > > <http://www.cinepaint.org/>

    > Having taken a couple brief looks at cinepaint, I'm still confused. It
    > seems to be a fork of gimp, but with improved color precision and
    > support for some video-centric file formats. But if that's what it is,
    > why doesn't it just get rolled back into mainline gimp?

    Some of that is outlined on the cinepaint website. Mainly, they're two
    different projects working towards two different goals. Somewhere along
    the lines, they took different design strategies and ended up with a lot
    of code that couldn't easily roll back.

    Paul Mitchum, Jul 7, 2006