  1. Barney

    Barney Guest

    What is the best way to get a copy of Linux for home use?

    Barney, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Barney

    VWWall Guest

    Barney wrote:
    > What is the best way to get a copy of Linux for home use?

    Here's a good place to start:

    http://www.itpeer.dyndns.org/tell_me_a_little_about_linux.htm

    You can download .iso files from many places and burn your own CDs, or
    you can purchase CDs for just the cost of material and handling.

    There are "live CDs", which will run without even installing.

    Come on in!

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Dec 5, 2006

  3. you could try ubuntu, they send free linux cds:

    http://www.ubuntu.org

    jay,

    Jay MacDonald, Dec 5, 2006
  4. Barney

    Guest

    Barney wrote:
    > What is the best way to get a copy of Linux for home use?

    Linux is a kernel, I think you need a linux distro.

    Download a good distro,
    The classic old site was I think www.linuxiso.org

    seems to be down, maybe this quite good
    http://linuxlookup.com/linux_iso

    As for what distro to download.. I guess they're built with user
    friendly intentions. GUI wise and in the programs included/bundled.

    you can get more programs off the freshmeat site.. I never really got
    into linux, I try again from time to time!

    , Dec 7, 2006
  5. Barney

    Grappletech Guest

    There's a book called 'Linux Made Easy' -- around $20 or so. It's a pretty
    detailed reference manual for Linux, plus in the back of the book is CD
    with Xandros Linux on it. Very easy to install. It'll ask if you want to
    create a separate partition for Linux to live in. Then when you turn on
    your PC, you can boot to Linux or Windows. I isntalled Xandros on all my
    pc's. Works great. It recognized all my hardware. There are different
    versions of Xandros on the CD. If one hangs up during installation, then
    restart and go to the next configuration until you find one that installs.
    Makes it easy because sometimes various flavors of Linux won't work with a
    person's system.

    Grappletech, Dec 8, 2006