    What's a good set of GIF animation freeware nowadays?

    Note: I have Irfanview on Windoze, and KolourPaint & TheGimp on Linux
    (among others).
    James Gagney, Sep 6, 2012

  2. James Gagney

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:53:00 +0000, James Gagney wrote:

    > I need to document for a forum post the flashing lights moving from
    > solid, to runway, to railroad of a router I'm trying to repair.
    >
    > The forum won't accept videos & youtube seems the wrong way to go due to
    > the long time between flashing (it would have to be multiple videos).
    >
    > The right way would be to simply create an animated gif with all the
    > flashing sequences of import.
    >
    > QUESTION:
    > What's a good set of GIF animation freeware nowadays?
    >
    > Note: I have Irfanview on Windoze, and KolourPaint & TheGimp on Linux
    > (among others).

    web search: 'linux animated gif' - several options, one of which would be
    imagemagick from the command line.
    ray, Sep 6, 2012

  3. James Gagney

    Bruce Guest

    James Gagney <> wrote:

    >I need to document for a forum post the flashing lights moving from
    >solid, to runway, to railroad of a router I'm trying to repair.
    >
    >The forum won't accept videos & youtube seems the wrong way to go due to
    >the long time between flashing (it would have to be multiple videos).
    >
    >The right way would be to simply create an animated gif with all the
    >flashing sequences of import.
    >
    >QUESTION:
    >What's a good set of GIF animation freeware nowadays?
    >
    >Note: I have Irfanview on Windoze, and KolourPaint & TheGimp on Linux
    >(among others).

    Before you know it, someone will be along to tell you that the
    absolute minimum you need to own is Photoshop CS6.

    Don't listen to them. ;-)
    Bruce, Sep 6, 2012
  4. James Gagney

    hjmler Guest

    "James Gagney" <> wrote in message
    >I need to document for a forum post the flashing lights moving from
    > solid, to runway, to railroad of a router I'm trying to repair.
    >
    > The forum won't accept videos & youtube seems the wrong way to go due to
    > the long time between flashing (it would have to be multiple videos).
    >
    > The right way would be to simply create an animated gif with all the
    > flashing sequences of import.
    >
    > QUESTION:
    > What's a good set of GIF animation freeware nowadays?
    >
    > Note: I have Irfanview on Windoze, and KolourPaint & TheGimp on Linux
    > (among others).

    animate png...
    https://encrypted.google.com/#hl=en..._pw.r_qf.&fp=16b2c32e8128e4b&biw=1152&bih=614

    last free ulead gif animator - I've used this one a like it...
    http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page24.html
    hjmler, Sep 7, 2012
  5. James Gagney

    Guest Guest

    James Gagney <> wrote:
    > I need to document for a forum post the flashing lights moving from
    > solid, to runway, to railroad of a router I'm trying to repair.
    >
    > The forum won't accept videos & youtube seems the wrong way to go due to
    > the long time between flashing (it would have to be multiple videos).
    >
    > The right way would be to simply create an animated gif with all the
    > flashing sequences of import.
    >
    > QUESTION:
    > What's a good set of GIF animation freeware nowadays?
    >
    > Note: I have Irfanview on Windoze, and KolourPaint & TheGimp on Linux
    > (among others).

    The minimum you need to create animated GIFs is Adobe Photoshop CS6.
    Guest, Sep 7, 2012
  6. James Gagney

    Me Guest

    On 7/09/2012 12:21 p.m., hjmler wrote:
    > "James Gagney" <> wrote in message
    >> I need to document for a forum post the flashing lights moving from
    >> solid, to runway, to railroad of a router I'm trying to repair.
    >>
    >> The forum won't accept videos & youtube seems the wrong way to go due to
    >> the long time between flashing (it would have to be multiple videos).
    >>
    >> The right way would be to simply create an animated gif with all the
    >> flashing sequences of import.
    >>
    >> QUESTION:
    >> What's a good set of GIF animation freeware nowadays?
    >>
    >> Note: I have Irfanview on Windoze, and KolourPaint & TheGimp on Linux
    >> (among others).

    > animate png...
    > https://encrypted.google.com/#hl=en..._pw.r_qf.&fp=16b2c32e8128e4b&biw=1152&bih=614

    An animated PNG "displays as static image in some web browsers"
    (Including default install of Chrome on W7)
    This is a bit of a shame.

    Me, Sep 7, 2012
  7. James Gagney

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 05:23:53 +0000 (UTC), <> wrote:

    >James Gagney <> wrote:
    >> I need to document for a forum post the flashing lights moving from
    >> solid, to runway, to railroad of a router I'm trying to repair.
    >>
    >> The forum won't accept videos & youtube seems the wrong way to go due to
    >> the long time between flashing (it would have to be multiple videos).
    >>
    >> The right way would be to simply create an animated gif with all the
    >> flashing sequences of import.
    >>
    >> QUESTION:
    >> What's a good set of GIF animation freeware nowadays?
    >>
    >> Note: I have Irfanview on Windoze, and KolourPaint & TheGimp on Linux
    >> (among others).

    >The minimum you need to create animated GIFs is Adobe Photoshop CS6.

    And Adobe Photoshop CS6 will only work on Macs.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 7, 2012
  8. James Gagney

    James Gagney Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 22:36:43 +0100, Bruce wrote:

    > someone will be along to tell you that the absolute
    > minimum you need to own is Photoshop CS6.

    I'm a firm believer that the freeware does almost everything we need, if,
    at the price of having to install multiple freeware programs to get the
    job done.

    For example, on Windoze:
    a) I view & crop pictures with Irfanview (fast & functional)
    b) I autorotate, autoresize, & autorename with Irfanview (batch mode)
    c) I snap screenshots with Irfanview (batch) or the PrtScr button
    d) I edit those screenshots with Paint.Net (text & arrows)
    e) I touchup those screenshots with VicManPhotoEditor (blemish, morphs)
    etc.

    Likewise, on Linux:
    a) I view with the Gnome Image Viewer (fast)
    b) I autorotate with Jhead (fast)
    c) I autoresize with Imagemagik "convert -resize"
    d) I autorename based in EXIF data with "exiv2"
    e) I snap screenshots with the PrtScr button
    f) I edit those screenshots with KolourPaint (text)
    g) I haven't found a good arrow-drawing or touchup program on Linux yet

    Notice, for example, that for text editing, all programs do it, but by
    far the best-in-class is Paint.NET on Windoze and KolourPaint on Linux.

    In fact, I teach my kids:
    1) If you need to do something new on the computer ...
    2) Instead of running out to buy software that does it for you ...
    3) First, locate freeware that gets you close ...
    4) Then install the best in class of that freeware & try it out ...
    5) 95% of the time ... that's all you need ...
    6) If the freeware fails (rarely), then, by the time you're ready to
    plunk your money down, at least you KNOW exactly what 'features' you need
    out of the payware!

    The point is that the freeware ALWAYS should be attempted ... because
    most of the time, it works - and - when it fails - at least you know what
    questions to ask of the payware!

    So, the question at hand is:
    Q: What's the best freeware for creating animated GIFs on Winsoze & Linux?
    James Gagney, Sep 7, 2012
  9. James Gagney

    James Gagney Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 19:21:00 -0500, hjmler wrote:

    > animate png...

    I love the idea of an animated PNG since all the Linux printscreen
    screenshots start out as a PNG file.

    However, I think an animated GIF is more widely accepted.

    However, I could probably convert as a last step, the animated PNG to an
    animated GIF ... and that would make apng a viable program for this task.
    James Gagney, Sep 7, 2012
  10. James Gagney

    James Gagney Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 17:33:17 +1200, Me wrote:

    > An animated PNG "displays as static image in some web browsers"

    But could we convert the animated png to an animated GIF easily?

    Perhaps something like this in ImageMagik perhaps?
    $ convert animated.png animated.gif
    James Gagney, Sep 7, 2012
  11. James Gagney

    James Gagney Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:57:24 +0000, ray wrote:

    > web search: 'linux animated gif' - several options, one of which would
    > be imagemagick from the command line.

    Since ImageMagick is a well-known Linux standard, that's what I'll use:

    From http://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/supercomp/n401a.html it seems the
    syntax is simply to use the 'convert' command, e.g.:
    $ convert -delay 20 -loop 0 pictures*.gif animated_pictures.gif

    Q: What do we recommend as the best GIF animation freeware on Windows?

    Here's what I've compiled from your hints & googling so far:

    Number 1: (Con=save it now or you won't have it in the future)
    Ulead GIF Animator
    http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page24.html

    Number 2? (Con=It's from Microsoft)
    Microsoft GIF Animator
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-gif-animator.htm
    http://ms-gif-animator.en.softonic.com
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/msgifanimator.html

    Number 3? (Con=May be overkill just to get GIF animation?)
    PhotoScape
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-gif-animator.htm
    http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

    Number 4: (Con=Found by googling but nobody suggested it)
    UnFREEz 2.1
    http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez

    Others:
    http://www.freeware-guide.com/dir/mmedia/animation.html
    James Gagney, Sep 7, 2012
  12. James Gagney

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 17:00:43 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 22:36:43 +0100, Bruce wrote:
    >
    >> someone will be along to tell you that the absolute
    >> minimum you need to own is Photoshop CS6.

    >I'm a firm believer that the freeware does almost everything we need, if,
    >at the price of having to install multiple freeware programs to get the
    >job done.
    >
    >For example, on Windoze:
    >a) I view & crop pictures with Irfanview (fast & functional)

    A plug here for my favorite freeware: FastStone. As a viewer, it
    presents all of the images in the file as thumbnails, and the size of
    the thumbnail is settable. This allows me to glance through all of
    the shots as thumbnails by using the keyboard or mouse only when the
    number of images exceeds the screen footprint. Any image can be
    clicked and viewed full-screen, and multiple images can be compared in
    a split-screen view.

    The freebie also re-numbers or re-names, sorts by different factors,
    moves or copies files to another file, converts files to different
    formats, can display images in a slideshow, shows (limited) EXIF data,
    has some editing functions. I don't edit in it, but right-click on
    the image and edit in the program I've included in "Open as" dropdown,
    usually CS4.

    I have Irfanview, but prefer FastStone when viewing a group of images.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 7, 2012
  13. James Gagney

    James Gagney Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:02:25 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

    > I have Irfanview, but prefer FastStone when viewing a group of images.

    While Irfanview is fast on individual pictures, I must agree that the
    batch thumbnail takes FOREVER on directories with a large number of 7GB
    files (over 500 for example).

    In fact, if you don't know that Irfanview MUST painfully view each and
    every thumbnail in thumbnail mode, when you run subsequent autorotate,
    autorename, and autoresize batch commands, you will only get 1/4 or 1/2
    or whatever number resolved painfully in the thumbnail view before you
    moved on.

    This is actually a bug in Irfanview, in my humble opinion, that it LETS
    you move forward to batch mode before all the thumbnails have "resolved".

    Since it could take ten minutes for all the thumbnails to resolve, you
    naturally move on if you don't know this ... and you end up with batch
    actions only on a portion of your files.

    So, if Fastone (I pronounce it "Fast One") does better than Irfanview on
    batch operation with large directories, then that's good.

    Note: I already realize MANY of you have NEVER NOTICED this Irfanview
    bug, and I expect you to say "it doesn't happen to me" ... but it's
    there. Trust me on that. At least it was there last I was on Windoze as I
    researched it thoroughly.

    Here is how to test:
    1. Create a directory with a large number of images (any number will work
    for the test)

    2. Go to the Irfanview thumbnail view but DO NOT WAIT for all the
    thumbnail views to resolve (it could take a half hour at times, but
    usually it's only a few minutes)

    3. Select all (control + a) ... now you THINK you've selected all of your
    thumbnails right? Nope. You've only selected the ones that have resolved.

    4. Perform a batch operation. Guess what happens?

    That batch operation will ONLY happen to the thumbnails that were
    resolved. This makes a total mess out of your directory because you can't
    UNDO that. So now you have a directory with sequential numbers, date
    stamped, whatever you put in your %EXIF variable.

    If FastOne doesn't have this problem ... then it might be a better
    freeware program for batch manipulation of large numbers of digital
    photos!
    James Gagney, Sep 7, 2012
  14. James Gagney

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 18:33:43 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:02:25 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> I have Irfanview, but prefer FastStone when viewing a group of images.

    >While Irfanview is fast on individual pictures, I must agree that the
    >batch thumbnail takes FOREVER on directories with a large number of 7GB
    >files (over 500 for example).
    >
    >In fact, if you don't know that Irfanview MUST painfully view each and
    >every thumbnail in thumbnail mode, when you run subsequent autorotate,
    >autorename, and autoresize batch commands, you will only get 1/4 or 1/2
    >or whatever number resolved painfully in the thumbnail view before you
    >moved on.
    >
    >This is actually a bug in Irfanview, in my humble opinion, that it LETS
    >you move forward to batch mode before all the thumbnails have "resolved".
    >
    >Since it could take ten minutes for all the thumbnails to resolve, you
    >naturally move on if you don't know this ... and you end up with batch
    >actions only on a portion of your files.
    >
    >So, if Fastone (I pronounce it "Fast One") does better than Irfanview on
    >batch operation with large directories, then that's good.
    >
    >Note: I already realize MANY of you have NEVER NOTICED this Irfanview
    >bug, and I expect you to say "it doesn't happen to me" ... but it's
    >there. Trust me on that. At least it was there last I was on Windoze as I
    >researched it thoroughly.
    >
    >Here is how to test:
    >1. Create a directory with a large number of images (any number will work
    >for the test)
    >
    >2. Go to the Irfanview thumbnail view but DO NOT WAIT for all the
    >thumbnail views to resolve (it could take a half hour at times, but
    >usually it's only a few minutes)
    >
    >3. Select all (control + a) ... now you THINK you've selected all of your
    >thumbnails right? Nope. You've only selected the ones that have resolved.
    >
    >4. Perform a batch operation. Guess what happens?
    >
    >That batch operation will ONLY happen to the thumbnails that were
    >resolved. This makes a total mess out of your directory because you can't
    >UNDO that. So now you have a directory with sequential numbers, date
    >stamped, whatever you put in your %EXIF variable.
    >
    >If FastOne doesn't have this problem ... then it might be a better
    >freeware program for batch manipulation of large numbers of digital
    >photos!

    It's FastStone, not FastOne.
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm

    I make no guarantees that it will work better for your needs. All I'm
    saying is that I like it. It's free. You can try and delete it if
    you don't like it.

    As far as batch operations, hold down Shift and select a group of
    thumbnails. Control A selects all thumbnails. If the thumbnails for
    batching are scatttered within the file, tag the one you want to be
    included in the batch and show only tagged files, Control A, and away
    you go.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 7, 2012
  15. James Gagney

    Bruce Guest

    <> wrote:

    >James Gagney <> wrote:
    >> I need to document for a forum post the flashing lights moving from
    >> solid, to runway, to railroad of a router I'm trying to repair.
    >>
    >> The forum won't accept videos & youtube seems the wrong way to go due to
    >> the long time between flashing (it would have to be multiple videos).
    >>
    >> The right way would be to simply create an animated gif with all the
    >> flashing sequences of import.
    >>
    >> QUESTION:
    >> What's a good set of GIF animation freeware nowadays?
    >>
    >> Note: I have Irfanview on Windoze, and KolourPaint & TheGimp on Linux
    >> (among others).

    >The minimum you need to create animated GIFs is Adobe Photoshop CS6.

    You can do it with the GIMP. Cost $0.00.
    Bruce, Sep 7, 2012
  16. James Gagney

    alan1browne Guest

    alan1browne, Sep 7, 2012
  17. James Gagney

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 16:22:37 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012.09.07[36] 10:25 , tony cooper wrote:

    >>> The minimum you need to create animated GIFs is Adobe Photoshop CS6.

    >> And Adobe Photoshop CS6 will only work on Macs.

    >Only Mac Pros with dual 6-core processors and 32 GB of RAM, actually,
    >and only if you have at least 2 30" Apple displays and Gigabit internet
    >connections.

    I think you also have to have a GIF dongle installed for each frame.
    You chain the dongles.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 7, 2012
  18. James Gagney

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 17:04:04 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012.09.07[36] 16:55 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 16:22:37 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Only Mac Pros with dual 6-core processors and 32 GB of RAM, actually,
    >>> and only if you have at least 2 30" Apple displays and Gigabit internet
    >>> connections.

    >> I think you also have to have a GIF dongle installed for each frame.
    >> You chain the dongles.

    >Not with the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion Server and it's only
    >another $20.

    Are you saying that the OS X Mountain Lion Server contains some of the
    same lines of code that the GIF dongle includes, and is therefore the
    same?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 7, 2012
  19. James Gagney

    James Gagney Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 15:01:49 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

    > It's FastStone, not FastOne.

    But how is it properly pronounced?
    Fast Stone or Fast One?

    > As far as batch operations, hold down Shift and select a group of
    > thumbnails. Control A selects all thumbnails.

    It would be an interesting test to see if FastStone has the same bug
    where it lets you move to the batch before the thumbnails have resolved.

    Remember, it's not the SELECTION that causes the problem (Irfanview
    selects them all quickly); it's the fact that each thumbnail has to be
    painstakingly resolved before the OPERATION will work on the selected set.

    If FastSton's algorithm is slicker than Irfanview's ... that would be an
    improvement (and an example of the fact that even the best freeware isn't
    the best at everything so you need a bunch of freeware if you want the
    best).
    James Gagney, Sep 7, 2012
  20. James Gagney

    James Gagney Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 20:32:16 +0100, Bruce wrote:

    > You can do it with the GIMP. Cost $0.00.

    Yes. But with the overlays, it's overly cumbersome to use The Gimp.

    I think, on Linux, ImageMagick is "best" and on Windows, it looks like
    the response so far has the best as Ulead GIF Animator.
    James Gagney, Sep 7, 2012