Linux On The Desktop A Reality

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, May 28, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    The Penguin That Ate Microsoft
    Cynthia L. Webb May 27 2004

    In a piece today, PCWorld says Linux "may not topple the Microsoft
    empire anytime soon, but recent offerings indicate that Linux
    distributors, hardware vendors, and developers are dedicated to making
    Linux on the desktop a reality.

    Distributions such as Xandros, Sun's Java Desktop System, and Lindows'
    Linspire are targeting new users interested in migrating from Windows.
    They offer easy-to-use and install distributions as well as inexpensive
    PCs preloaded with Linux, available at retailers such as Wal-Mart."

    Xandros CEO Rick Berenstein told the publication that "ales of
    Xandros's distribution are up sixfold from a year ago ... He cites the
    lack of licensing fees for Linux, the availability of cheap hardware,
    and security problems with Windows as just a few reasons the open-source
    operating system is gaining popularity. Plenty of distributions have
    started teaming up with hardware vendors to make the transition to Linux
    easier for Windows users looking for alternatives."
    ..
    ..
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59941-2004May27.html
    http://online.wsj.com/page/0,,2_1089,00.html?mod=home_in_depth_reports
    http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB108507035525116925,00.html
    http://www.sltrib.com/2004/May/05272004/business/170021.asp

    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/columnists/business_update/8766340.htm

    http://news.com.com/Oracle to finish Linux makeover this year/2100-7344_3-5220881.html

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, May 28, 2004

  2. TechNews

    Boomer Guest

    TechNews <> wrote:

    > The Penguin That Ate Microsoft
    > Cynthia L. Webb May 27 2004

    > In a piece today, PCWorld says Linux

    [snip]

    Are telling this to the 300+ Linux groups also?

    Boomer, May 28, 2004

  3. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > TechNews <> wrote:
    >
    >> The Penguin That Ate Microsoft
    >> Cynthia L. Webb May 27 2004

    >> In a piece today, PCWorld says Linux

    > [snip]
    >
    > Are telling this to the 300+ Linux groups also?

    No. The idea here is to bring awareness of Linux to the masses of poor
    end-users that have to survive Microsoft's train wreck on a daily basis.

    People should know that they have alternatives and don't have to be trapped
    in the 9th ring of hell called Windows.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, May 28, 2004
  4. On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:30:02 +0000, TechNews wrote:

    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    >> TechNews <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Penguin That Ate Microsoft
    >>> Cynthia L. Webb May 27 2004

    >>> In a piece today, PCWorld says Linux

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Are telling this to the 300+ Linux groups also?

    > No. The idea here is to bring awareness of Linux to the masses of poor
    > end-users that have to survive Microsoft's train wreck on a daily basis.
    >
    > People should know that they have alternatives and don't have to be trapped
    > in the 9th ring of hell called Windows.

    You GNU/Linux *evangelists* are worse than the fuckin' Mormons or
    Jehovah's Witnesses.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)

    michael turner, May 28, 2004
  5. TechNews

    Artemis Guest

    TechNews wrote:
    > No. The idea here is to bring awareness of Linux to the masses of poor
    > end-users that have to survive Microsoft's train wreck on a daily basis.
    >
    > People should know that they have alternatives and don't have to be trapped
    > in the 9th ring of hell called Windows.

    Linux is hardly a secret.
    I don't know of anyone that needs you to save them from MS.
    Go pound your drum somewhere else.

    --
    Artemis

    Artemis, May 28, 2004
  6. TechNews

    gb Guest

    The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
    Windows, let along Linux.

    It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And
    judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux does
    come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the hackers and
    whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see weekly Linux
    Updates, instead.

    gb

    gb, May 28, 2004
  7. On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:55:51 +0000, gb wrote:

    > The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
    > Windows, let along Linux.
    >
    > It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And
    > judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux does
    > come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the hackers and
    > whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see weekly Linux
    > Updates, instead.

    They already do...
    This is the security update patch list for Mandrake 9.2:
    http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advisories?dis=9.2

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)

    michael turner, May 28, 2004
  8. TechNews

    Paul - xxx Guest

    TechNews posted ...

    > In a piece today, PCWorld says Linux "may not topple the Microsoft
    > empire anytime soon

    One has to wonder why someone would advocate Linux on a helpdesk newsgroup.
    Yes, Linux _is_ an alternative OS, but is not really suitable, IMHO, for the
    majority of users, and especially not suitable for new computer users.

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, May 28, 2004
  9. TechNews

    Ron Martell Guest

    michael turner <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:55:51 +0000, gb wrote:
    >
    >> The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
    >> Windows, let along Linux.
    >>
    >> It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And
    >> judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux does
    >> come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the hackers and
    >> whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see weekly Linux
    >> Updates, instead.

    >They already do...
    >This is the security update patch list for Mandrake 9.2:
    >http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advisories?dis=9.2

    Let's see some of these.

    "an issue where 3rd parties can retrieve member passwords from the
    server"

    "an exploitable bug in the cpufreq code in the Linux 2.6 kernel"

    "can be used to overflow malloc()ed memory in a way that can be
    remotely exploited."

    This is the invulnerable, invincible Linux? Something seems to be a
    bit amiss.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, May 28, 2004
  10. Ron Martell wrote:

    > michael turner <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:55:51 +0000, gb wrote:
    >>
    >>> The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
    >>> Windows, let along Linux.
    >>>
    >>> It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And
    >>> judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux does
    >>> come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the hackers and
    >>> whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see weekly Linux
    >>> Updates, instead.

    >>They already do...
    >>This is the security update patch list for Mandrake 9.2:
    >>http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advisories?dis=9.2

    > Let's see some of these.
    >
    > "an issue where 3rd parties can retrieve member passwords from the
    > server"
    >
    > "an exploitable bug in the cpufreq code in the Linux 2.6 kernel"
    >
    > "can be used to overflow malloc()ed memory in a way that can be
    > remotely exploited."
    >
    > This is the invulnerable, invincible Linux? Something seems to be a
    > bit amiss.

    Who claimed linux was invincable? Oh, hang on, you're an MVP Ron, that
    explains it. ;-)

    Well, of course there's issues with linux. I think there's two
    significant differences security wise between windows and linux
    - most windows users routinely use their system with an admin account
    instead of a user account, linux users tend not to do that.
    - microsoft seems very willing to sacrifice security for usability and
    dummy-friendliness.

    On the other hand, I'm now looking at Windows 2003 server and I'm quite
    pleased with what I see there. It's the first version of a microsoft OS
    I've come across where you start by enabling stuff instead of disabling
    it. I especially like what they've done with IIS, that's really maturing
    now.

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands

    Jeroen Wijnands, May 28, 2004
  11. On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:55:51 +0000, gb posted:

    > The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
    > Windows, let along Linux.
    >
    > It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And
    > judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux
    > does come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the
    > hackers and whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see
    > weekly Linux Updates, instead.
    >
    > gb

    <YAWN> same old FUD from people that know /nothing/ about linux.
    Target in /what/ way, & don't say viruses etc, that's already been
    disproved.

    Seymour B. Utts, May 28, 2004
  12. On Fri, 28 May 2004 05:46:48 +0000, Ron Martell posted:

    > michael turner <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:55:51 +0000, gb wrote:
    >>
    >>> The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
    >>> Windows, let along Linux.
    >>>
    >>> It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And
    >>> judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux
    >>> does come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the
    >>> hackers and whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see
    >>> weekly Linux Updates, instead.

    >>They already do...
    >>This is the security update patch list for Mandrake 9.2:
    >>http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advisories?dis=9.2

    > Let's see some of these.
    >
    > "an issue where 3rd parties can retrieve member passwords from the server"
    >
    > "an exploitable bug in the cpufreq code in the Linux 2.6 kernel"
    >
    > "can be used to overflow malloc()ed memory in a way that can be remotely
    > exploited."
    >
    > This is the invulnerable, invincible Linux? Something seems to be a bit
    > amiss.

    But not as amiss as an OS that can be knocked over by kiddyscripts! :)
    1] AFAIK no one said linux was invulnerable or invincible. Also a lot of
    the vulnerabilities apply to programs that come with linux, & not to linux
    itself.
    2] Not everyone runs the same programs, so some of those vulnerabilities
    wouldn't apply to them.
    3] In some of the linux vulnerabilities, someone would actually have to be
    /physically/ present at the machine to take advantage of them.
    4] All those vulnerabilities apply to Mandrake & may /not/ affect other
    distributions. Having just checked my distribution security updates, I see
    that they don't apply to mine.
    5] In a lot of cases these vulnerabilities are patched before anyone knows
    about them.

    Seymour B. Utts, May 28, 2004
  13. On Fri, 28 May 2004 06:28:49 +0000, Jeroen Wijnands posted:

    > Ron Martell wrote:
    >
    >> michael turner <> wrote:

    >>>They already do...
    >>>This is the security update patch list for Mandrake 9.2:
    >>>http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advisories?dis=9.2

    >> Let's see some of these.
    >>
    >> "an issue where 3rd parties can retrieve member passwords from the
    >> server"
    >>
    >> "an exploitable bug in the cpufreq code in the Linux 2.6 kernel"
    >>
    >> "can be used to overflow malloc()ed memory in a way that can be remotely
    >> exploited."
    >>
    >> This is the invulnerable, invincible Linux? Something seems to be a
    >> bit amiss.
    >>

    > Who claimed linux was invincable? Oh, hang on, you're an MVP Ron, that
    > explains it. ;-)

    It explains a lot! :)

    > Well, of course there's issues with linux. I think there's two significant
    > differences security wise between windows and linux - most windows users
    > routinely use their system with an admin account instead of a user
    > account, linux users tend not to do that. - microsoft seems very willing
    > to sacrifice security for usability and dummy-friendliness.

    Yes, I agree with that.

    > On the other hand, I'm now looking at Windows 2003 server and I'm quite
    > pleased with what I see there. It's the first version of a microsoft OS
    > I've come across where you start by enabling stuff instead of disabling
    > it. I especially like what they've done with IIS, that's really maturing
    > now.

    As long as you're /not/ running an Itanium.
    Windows Server 2003 64-bit Enterprise Edition could turn your expensive
    bit of hardware into a useless lump of metal!!
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16130

    Seymour B. Utts, May 28, 2004
  14. On Fri, 28 May 2004 02:19:19 +0100, michael turner posted:

    > On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:55:51 +0000, gb wrote:
    >
    >> The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
    >> Windows, let along Linux.
    >>
    >> It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And
    >> judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux
    >> does come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the
    >> hackers and whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see
    >> weekly Linux Updates, instead.

    > They already do...
    > This is the security update patch list for Mandrake 9.2:
    > http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advisories?dis=9.2

    However those patches may not apply to everyone running Mandrake.
    It just depends what progams they have installed.

    Seymour B. Utts, May 28, 2004
  15. On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:57:17 +0100, michael turner posted:
    <snip>
    > You GNU/Linux *evangelists* are worse than the fuckin' Mormons or
    > Jehovah's Witnesses.

    Yeah, he does get a bit much. I saw a couple of replies & posts about
    linux that were clearly wrong, & IMHO they needed correcting.

    --
    kernel 2.6.6 / KDE 3.2.2
    1GB DDR RAM /

    Seymour B. Utts, May 28, 2004
  16. > One has to wonder why someone would advocate Linux on a helpdesk newsgroup.
    > Yes, Linux _is_ an alternative OS, but is not really suitable, IMHO, for the
    > majority of users, and especially not suitable for new computer users.

    It's better to start with a stable and secure operating system than to
    learn computing the Microsoft way.

    Linux: Read manual, install software, use computer.

    Bundled Windows: Get patches from Microsoft before computer is found by
    malware, install anti-virus software and update daily, install
    anti-spyware software and update weekly, run anti-virus and anti-spyware
    scans regularly, install third-party software for Registry fixing, and
    expect frequent rebooting when Windows crashes.

    There are people who spend at least two hours a day doing nothing but
    downloading patches, running software scans, and trying to get Windows
    to stop crashing. Many new computer users simply ignore the Microsoft
    security problems and don't install the security software or patches.
    Others install so much conflicting security software that Windows won't
    even load. Some people have become afraid to use their computers at all.

    http://www.linspire.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=118

    Alexander Rogge, May 28, 2004
  17. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Seymour B. Utts wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:57:17 +0100, michael turner posted:
    > <snip>
    >> You GNU/Linux *evangelists* are worse than the fuckin' Mormons or
    >> Jehovah's Witnesses.

    > Yeah, he does get a bit much. I saw a couple of replies & posts about
    > linux that were clearly wrong, & IMHO they needed correcting.

    All I've posted is news articles from the Web. Show where correction is
    needed.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, May 28, 2004
  18. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Artemis wrote:

    > TechNews wrote:
    >> No. The idea here is to bring awareness of Linux to the masses of poor
    >> end-users that have to survive Microsoft's train wreck on a daily basis.
    >>
    >> People should know that they have alternatives and don't have to be
    >> trapped in the 9th ring of hell called Windows.

    > Linux is hardly a secret.
    > I don't know of anyone that needs you to save them from MS.
    > Go pound your drum somewhere else.

    I doubt that you know anyone here personally. I'm posting news articles for
    anyone who may be interested. If you are not interested, you may safely
    skip over to the next thread... as simple as that.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, May 28, 2004
  19. TechNews

    Rifleman Guest

    "TechNews" <> wrote in message
    > Artemis wrote:
    >
    > > TechNews wrote:
    > >> No. The idea here is to bring awareness of Linux to the masses of poor
    > >> end-users that have to survive Microsoft's train wreck on a daily

    basis.

    > >> People should know that they have alternatives and don't have to be
    > >> trapped in the 9th ring of hell called Windows.

    > > Linux is hardly a secret.
    > > I don't know of anyone that needs you to save them from MS.
    > > Go pound your drum somewhere else.
    > >

    > I doubt that you know anyone here personally. I'm posting news articles

    for
    > anyone who may be interested. If you are not interested, you may safely
    > skip over to the next thread... as simple as that.
    >

    > --
    > Reliability:Speed:Security

    Well I for one find them interesting, as a lurker in the Linux world (just
    waiting for my exchange to be converted to Broadband and then goodbye
    windows!)

    Rifleman, May 28, 2004
  20. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:

    > TechNews posted ...
    >
    >> In a piece today, PCWorld says Linux "may not topple the Microsoft
    >> empire anytime soon

    > One has to wonder why someone would advocate Linux on a helpdesk

    Windows users need lots and lots of help; one can argue that the correct
    solution is to dump windows altogether.

    > newsgroup. Yes, Linux _is_ an alternative OS, but is not really suitable,
    > IMHO, for the majority of users, and especially not suitable for new
    > computer users.

    That's were you are wrong, it IS suitable to the majority of users:
    *Anyone* can go to a computer store, buy a boxed Linux distribution,
    install it and enjoy everything they have come to expect. They will find a
    GUI by which to access applications, surf the net, post to usene, use a
    wordprocessor, a spreadsheet, a contact manager, listen to mp3's, etc.,
    etc., etc.

    Of course, all this without crashes, freezes, BSOD, perpetual reboots,
    inexplicable performance degradation, and... did I mentioned crashes?

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, May 28, 2004