Linux on other devices, and fun with VMWare

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I guess some here might want to do more than just pointlessly argue
    about things they know little about (like the iPhone), so for those that
    actually want to learn something:

    http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone

    http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/learnmore/qtopiademo

    http://www.trolltech.com/download.h...opia-4.1.4-demo-vmware_2006_08-09-0742-en.zip

    The beauty of this is that the phone is available as a VM (in fact, this
    is just an ISO and a .vmx file) which allows you to play with both
    touchscreen and keypad phone examples.

    You will be running a linux phone interface on an emulator running in a
    Linux guest OS in virtual machine hosted by whatever OS you choose to
    use, on whatever hardware you choose to use :) It works surprisingly well.

    Note also to those who haven't realised yet, you can run LiveCD isos
    directly in a VMware VM if you correctly edit a .vmx file to the
    configuration you want. Faster than booting a real LiveCD and less
    hassle. Just put the ISO and the .vmx file in the same directory, then
    open the .vmx file with VMWare - it will look after the rest.

    For example, the Nokia 770 Maemo interface is available as a LiveCD, so
    you can easily emulate the Nokia 770 in a VM. I've only been able to
    find an old version of Maemo, does anyone know of any newer versions
    available either as a LiveCD or packaged for VMWare?

    Any links to other devices that can be evaluated in this way? Images for
    the NEO1973? Chumby? Linux on other handhelds?

    -=rjh=-, Jan 12, 2007

  2. The Trolltechs Qt phone looks quite nice. I wouldnt mind getting one
    for general use (and to do a bit of hacking of course - Qt4 is very
    nice to program with).

    On the topic of VMWare, how many people use VMWare Server instead of
    VMWare Workstation? It appears to be at least as capable as VMWare
    Workstation while being freely downloadable from their website.
    Appears to run fine on Windows XP as a VMWare Workstation replacement
    even though such a configuration isnt supported (it is Windows Server
    and Linux only).

    David Goodwin, Jan 13, 2007

  3. David Goodwin wrote:
    > On the topic of VMWare, how many people use VMWare Server instead of
    > VMWare Workstation? It appears to be at least as capable as VMWare
    > Workstation while being freely downloadable from their website.
    > Appears to run fine on Windows XP as a VMWare Workstation replacement
    > even though such a configuration isnt supported (it is Windows Server
    > and Linux only).

    VMWare Server has some limitations, in particular it has no support for
    multiple snapshots. In the office we are licensed to use Workstation,
    but I have been using Server for one reason. VMWare Workstation 5.5 does
    not support clustering (Workstation 5.0 did).

    I use VMWare Server at home, for two reasons. First of all, I am too
    cheap to buy a license for VMWare Workstation (prior to the release of
    VMWare Server I was using Qemu). The second reason is the remote console
    support. I run one Linux box on my network, and that runs multiple
    VMWare installations of FreeBSD, which I maintain from a console on my
    Windows desktop.

    I do with VMWare would support FreeBSD as a host OS, it is a bit of a
    pain having to have a single Linux box.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 13, 2007