    It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the odd
    task in Excel and Word.

    Any thoughts?

    Craig Sutton, Feb 2, 2007

  2. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    says...
    > Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192 megs
    > ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and installing
    > Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched up.
    >
    > It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the odd
    > task in Excel and Word.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    support live CD's so you could try that and see.

    I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Craig Sutton

    Earl Grey Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    > says...
    >> Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192 megs
    >> ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and installing
    >> Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched up.
    >>
    >> It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the odd
    >> task in Excel and Word.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    > or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    > support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >
    > I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    > ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?

    I've got xubuntu running on a 300MHz Dell pretty well.
    A live CD won't give you much idea though

    Earl Grey, Feb 2, 2007
  4. Craig Sutton

    Zipper Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192 megs
    > ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and installing
    > Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched up.
    >
    > It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the
    > odd task in Excel and Word.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    What is wrong with staying with 98? 98 must be very fast on it so unless
    there is some need to move to another OS why would you?

    Zipper, Feb 2, 2007
  5. Craig Sutton

    Rob S Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    > says...
    >> Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192 megs
    >> ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and installing
    >> Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched up.
    >>
    >> It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the odd
    >> task in Excel and Word.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    > or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    > support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >
    > I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    > ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?

    I don't think he would have to limit himself to a cli only Linux. There
    are plenty of distros that are designed for older, slower machines. DSL
    & Puppy immediately spring to mind. A search of www.distrowatch.com
    for "old computer" produced about 6 distros that should work ok.
    http://tinyurl.com/9fzn2 is the tinyurl for the search, as the original
    url is huge.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    The Web isn't better than sex, but sliced bread is in serious trouble.

    Rob S, Feb 2, 2007
  6. Craig Sutton

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:52:55 +1300, Rob S <Here@home> wrote:

    >Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192 megs
    >>> ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and installing
    >>> Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched up.
    >>>
    >>> It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the odd
    >>> task in Excel and Word.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?

    >> It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    >> or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    >> support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >>
    >> I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    >> ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?
    >>

    >I don't think he would have to limit himself to a cli only Linux. There
    >are plenty of distros that are designed for older, slower machines. DSL
    > & Puppy immediately spring to mind. A search of www.distrowatch.com
    >for "old computer" produced about 6 distros that should work ok.
    >http://tinyurl.com/9fzn2 is the tinyurl for the search, as the original
    >url is huge.

    Yes, Damn Small and Puppy would fly on a machine like that. Both can
    run entirely in RAM with 128MB, so this would be the fastest machine
    in the house :)

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    http://www.puppylinux.com/

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Feb 2, 2007
  7. Craig Sutton

    analogman Guest

    "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c3a4a8$...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192

    megs
    > >> ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and

    installing
    > >> Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched

    up.

    > >> It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and

    the odd
    > >> task in Excel and Word.
    > >>
    > >> Any thoughts?

    > > It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    > > or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    > > support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    > >
    > > I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    > > ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?
    > >

    > I don't think he would have to limit himself to a cli only Linux. There
    > are plenty of distros that are designed for older, slower machines. DSL
    > & Puppy immediately spring to mind. A search of www.distrowatch.com
    > for "old computer" produced about 6 distros that should work ok.
    > http://tinyurl.com/9fzn2 is the tinyurl for the search, as the original
    > url is huge.

    So dsl is not such an unknown distribution as was suggested to me on another
    thread.

    analogman, Feb 2, 2007
  8. Craig Sutton

    Chris Hope Guest

    analogman wrote:

    > "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c3a4a8$...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >> > In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    >> > says...

    > megs

    > installing

    > up.

    > the odd

    >> > It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg
    >> > Ubuntu
    >> > or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    >> > support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >> >
    >> > I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know
    >> > the
    >> > ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?
    >> >

    >> I don't think he would have to limit himself to a cli only Linux.
    >> There are plenty of distros that are designed for older, slower
    >> machines. DSL
    >> & Puppy immediately spring to mind. A search of
    >> www.distrowatch.com
    >> for "old computer" produced about 6 distros that should work ok.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/9fzn2 is the tinyurl for the search, as the
    >> original url is huge.
    >>

    > So dsl is not such an unknown distribution as was suggested to me on
    > another thread.

    DSL is probably the most continually developed of the small distros
    (small meaning around 50MB) that work OK on older machines and I would
    think is one of the better known distros, once you look outside Ubuntu,
    Fedora, SUSE, Mandriva, Knoppix. It's #8 in Distrowatch's list.

    Chris Hope, Feb 2, 2007
  9. Craig Sutton

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:41:39 +1300, "analogman" <no@digital> wrote:

    >"Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c3a4a8$...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >> > In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    >> > says...

    >megs

    >installing

    >up.

    >the odd

    >> > It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    >> > or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    >> > support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >> >
    >> > I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    >> > ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?
    >> >

    >> I don't think he would have to limit himself to a cli only Linux. There
    >> are plenty of distros that are designed for older, slower machines. DSL
    >> & Puppy immediately spring to mind. A search of www.distrowatch.com
    >> for "old computer" produced about 6 distros that should work ok.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/9fzn2 is the tinyurl for the search, as the original
    >> url is huge.
    >>

    >So dsl is not such an unknown distribution as was suggested to me on another
    >thread.

    Not at all, it has quite a healthy world-wide following. They have 2
    versions now, the original is limited to 50MB to fit on a mini CD. The
    new one is not restricted in size and so can use later (larger)
    libraries like GTK2. It's quite resource-hungry though, they recommend
    at least 64MBs and 300MHz :)
    The original one is still being developed.

    They both run from a CD or USB stick, from the hard drive or from
    inside Windows.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Feb 2, 2007
  10. Craig Sutton

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:04:20 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    > says...
    >> Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192 megs
    >> ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and installing
    >> Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched up.
    >>
    >> It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the odd
    >> task in Excel and Word.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    > or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    > support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >
    > I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    > ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?

    If you read the op you'll find that it's wanted for internet access. Not
    much point not being graphical then is there.

    You just want to do some research into alternative window managers that
    have a smaller footprint.

    Steve, Feb 3, 2007
  11. Craig Sutton

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>, no@digital says...

    > "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c3a4a8$...
    > > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > > In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    > > > says...

    > megs

    > installing

    > up.

    > the odd

    > > > It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    > > > or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    > > > support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    > > >
    > > > I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    > > > ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?
    > > >

    > > I don't think he would have to limit himself to a cli only Linux. There
    > > are plenty of distros that are designed for older, slower machines. DSL
    > > & Puppy immediately spring to mind. A search of www.distrowatch.com
    > > for "old computer" produced about 6 distros that should work ok.
    > > http://tinyurl.com/9fzn2 is the tinyurl for the search, as the original
    > > url is huge.
    > >

    > So dsl is not such an unknown distribution as was suggested to me on another
    > thread.

    Indeed. I have it running on one of our xboxs. They only have 64meg ram
    and it is full gui. Quite impressed actually. I am having some problems
    with screen resolution on such odd hardware (see my thread) but I was
    impressed that I could get full gui OS on pent3/64ram. I have a couple
    of ols celeron 400s lying around I am going to put to use for kids soon
    so am sure it will work well on them too. Hope you have good luck with
    your project.

    Bazz

    bAZZ, Feb 3, 2007
  12. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:52:55 +1300, Rob S <Here@home> wrote:
    >
    >>Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    >>> or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    >>> support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >>>
    >>> I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    >>> ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?
    >>>

    >>I don't think he would have to limit himself to a cli only Linux. There
    >>are plenty of distros that are designed for older, slower machines. DSL
    >> & Puppy immediately spring to mind. A search of www.distrowatch.com
    >>for "old computer" produced about 6 distros that should work ok.
    >>http://tinyurl.com/9fzn2 is the tinyurl for the search, as the original
    >>url is huge.

    > Yes, Damn Small and Puppy would fly on a machine like that. Both can
    > run entirely in RAM with 128MB, so this would be the fastest machine
    > in the house :)

    I actually have puppy here on a disk i burnt a few months ago. Of course the
    other option would be to try running Tinyxp

    Craig Sutton, Feb 3, 2007
  13. Craig Sutton

    Blue Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:16:25 +1300, Zipper wrote:

    > What is wrong with staying with 98? 98 must be very fast on it so unless
    > there is some need to move to another OS why would you?

    Microsoft, and others will have ideas about this viewpoint.

    Blue, Feb 4, 2007
  14. Craig Sutton

    Blue Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:04:20 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    > or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    > support live CD's so you could try that and see.

    Leaving aside the XP vs Ubuntu speed. Remember when trying out a live CD
    that it is not as fast as if it was installed on the HD.

    Blue, Feb 4, 2007
  15. Craig Sutton

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 16:45:17 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message

    >>>I don't think he would have to limit himself to a cli only Linux. There
    >>>are plenty of distros that are designed for older, slower machines. DSL
    >>> & Puppy immediately spring to mind. A search of www.distrowatch.com
    >>>for "old computer" produced about 6 distros that should work ok.
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/9fzn2 is the tinyurl for the search, as the original
    >>>url is huge.

    >> Yes, Damn Small and Puppy would fly on a machine like that. Both can
    >> run entirely in RAM with 128MB, so this would be the fastest machine
    >> in the house :)
    >>

    >I actually have puppy here on a disk i burnt a few months ago. Of course the
    >other option would be to try running Tinyxp

    What's Tinyxp?

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Feb 4, 2007
  16. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 16:45:17 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, Damn Small and Puppy would fly on a machine like that. Both can
    >>> run entirely in RAM with 128MB, so this would be the fastest machine
    >>> in the house :)
    >>>

    >>I actually have puppy here on a disk i burnt a few months ago. Of course
    >>the
    >>other option would be to try running Tinyxp

    > What's Tinyxp?
    >
    > --

    A stripped down release of Windows Xp that comes to around 105 megs. google
    it..

    Craig Sutton, Feb 4, 2007
  17. Craig Sutton

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:16:25 +1300, Zipper wrote:

    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192 megs
    >> ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and installing
    >> Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched up.
    >>
    >> It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the
    >> odd task in Excel and Word.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>

    > What is wrong with staying with 98? 98 must be very fast on it so unless
    > there is some need to move to another OS why would you?

    Apart from the fact that Microsoft no longer support it, you mean???

    Steve, Feb 4, 2007
  18. Craig Sutton

    Allistar Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:04:20 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Have an older machine here a Celeron 566mhz Compaq laptop with 192 megs
    >>> ram. Running win 98 SE. I was thinking about formating it and installing
    >>> Linux as WinXP most likely will perform badly on it once fully patched
    >>> up.
    >>>
    >>> It is mostly used on a dialup modem for internet and doing email and the
    >>> odd task in Excel and Word.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?

    >> It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    >> or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    >> support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >>
    >> I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    >> ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?

    > If you read the op you'll find that it's wanted for internet access. Not
    > much point not being graphical then is there.

    It depends what the OP uses the internet for. "Internet" is no synonymous
    with "world wide web". My most common use for the internet is ssh and
    email, neither of which require a GUI.

    > You just want to do some research into alternative window managers that
    > have a smaller footprint.

    Agreed. The problem with the spec's is the available RAM. If there was some
    possibility of increasing that, then Kubuntu should work fine.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 4, 2007
  19. Craig Sutton

    Rob S Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:04:20 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <epv34j$63c$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> It would depend on the dist you want to run! - very much so. eg Ubuntu
    >>> or Kubuntu would out of the question (runs slower than XP). They
    >>> support live CD's so you could try that and see.
    >>>
    >>> I think you'd need some other low memory footprint dist - you know the
    >>> ones - yeah, no GUI. You happy with a DOS like environment?

    >> If you read the op you'll find that it's wanted for internet access. Not
    >> much point not being graphical then is there.

    > It depends what the OP uses the internet for. "Internet" is no synonymous
    > with "world wide web". My most common use for the internet is ssh and
    > email, neither of which require a GUI.
    >
    >> You just want to do some research into alternative window managers that
    >> have a smaller footprint.

    > Agreed. The problem with the spec's is the available RAM. If there was some
    > possibility of increasing that, then Kubuntu should work fine.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Last year I got given a laptop p166 32Mb ram 1.4Gb HD, 33.6Kb onboard
    modem. I loaded DSL and set it up for net access (DSL recognized the
    modem straight off) then gave it to my dad as he wanted to get into
    "this email stuff" he had seen a neighbor using. A couple of hours
    instruction and he's rapt. Our family is spread all over the world and
    now he keeps in touch with everyone by email. As far as I know he
    doesn't use it for anything else. It is a bit slow, but a darn sight
    faster than writing snailmail.

    The point is, it is a lot lower spec machine than the op's and runs DSL
    with a gui quite adequately.

    192Mb on the op's lappie would run Xubuntu reasonably quickly, and the
    latest XFCE4.4 is a big improvement.
    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Gravity... not just a good idea: It's the law.

    Rob S, Feb 4, 2007
  20. Craig Sutton

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <eq3o4d$hji$>,
    says...

    > "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 16:45:17 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message

    > >>I actually have puppy here on a disk i burnt a few months ago. Of course
    > >>the
    > >>other option would be to try running Tinyxp

    > > What's Tinyxp?
    > >
    > > --

    > A stripped down release of Windows Xp that comes to around 105 megs. google
    > it..

    Try also eXPerience spelt like that. He did the ripping.The stuff is
    usually released at "snipers redeemtion network". Some clever ppl there.

    Bazz

    bAZZ, Feb 4, 2007