    If FAQ, a pointer is appreciated?

    BTW, does anyone sell laptops with empty HD?
    (I know dell does not)
    Judges1318, Apr 19, 2006

  2. Judges1318

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:10:54 +1200, Judges1318
    <> exclaimed:

    >Would someone, please, be able to comment on
    >running linux on laptops? What works, what does not?
    >Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem? Wifi?

    It's not worth it. Most laptops come with Windows preinstalled.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 19, 2006

  3. Judges1318

    BrianM Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:10:54 +1000, Judges1318 wrote:

    > Would someone, please, be able to comment on running linux on laptops?
    > What works, what does not? Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem?
    > Wifi?
    >
    > If FAQ, a pointer is appreciated?
    >
    > BTW, does anyone sell laptops with empty HD? (I know dell does not)

    Suggest Xandros 3. If the laptop has Windoze installed, Xandros gives
    the option of partitioning the HDD to run a dual-boot system.
    But then why pay for an O/S that you don't want.

    cheers
    --
    BrianM
    BrianM, Apr 19, 2006
  4. Judges1318

    smf Guest

    BrianM wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:10:54 +1000, Judges1318 wrote:
    >

    >> Would someone, please, be able to comment on running linux on laptops?
    >> What works, what does not? Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem?
    >> Wifi?
    >>
    >> If FAQ, a pointer is appreciated?
    >>
    >> BTW, does anyone sell laptops with empty HD? (I know dell does not)

    > Suggest Xandros 3. If the laptop has Windoze installed, Xandros gives
    > the option of partitioning the HDD to run a dual-boot system.
    > But then why pay for an O/S that you don't want.
    >

    > cheers
    > --
    > BrianM

    I have installed ubuntu successfully on a couple of laptops - no dramas
    at all really. Mandrake was the same. Suse too -IMHO a lot of
    distributions have got to the point that most drivers are covered for
    laptops. The one thing that took some tweaking in ubuntu on my toshiba
    was the battery indicator - it reported less time left for operating
    than when I ran windowsxp. Even though the machine actually was powered
    for the same amount of time.
    smf, Apr 19, 2006
  5. Judges1318

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:12:02 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:10:54 +1200, Judges1318
    > <> exclaimed:
    >

    >>Would someone, please, be able to comment on
    >>running linux on laptops? What works, what does not?
    >>Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem? Wifi?
    >>

    > It's not worth it. Most laptops come with Windows preinstalled.

    Some would argue that is the reason why it *is* worth it.
    Gordon, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Judges1318

    thingy Guest

    Judges1318 wrote:

    > Would someone, please, be able to comment on
    > running linux on laptops? What works, what does not?
    > Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem? Wifi?
    >
    > If FAQ, a pointer is appreciated?
    >
    > BTW, does anyone sell laptops with empty HD?
    > (I know dell does not)

    Which model of dell laptop did you look at? Last time I did one (a 600
    series) it all installed fine using rhws4.

    Dell has a Linux skunk works department and mailing list(s). So are
    actually fairly active in their un-official support.

    http://linux.dell.com/

    Look at the laptop link on the rhs.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Judges1318

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Judges1318 wrote:
    > Would someone, please, be able to comment on
    > running linux on laptops? What works, what does not?
    > Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem? Wifi?
    >
    > If FAQ, a pointer is appreciated?
    >
    > BTW, does anyone sell laptops with empty HD?
    > (I know dell does not)

    Try Ubuntu as they are aiming for Laptop support in a big way. Their
    Wiki page details a lot of laptops and how well they work.

    The next release of Ubuntu (Dapper) due out in June should really rock
    on most modern hardware, including laptops.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Judges1318

    Murray Symon Guest

    http://www.linux-laptop.net/

    http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    Murray Symon, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Judges1318

    Peter Guest

    Judges1318 wrote:
    > Would someone, please, be able to comment on
    > running linux on laptops? What works, what does not?

    I've run Mandriva on several different Toshiba laptops and seems to run just
    fine.
    If you want to check a laptop out, just run Knoppix on it. It Knoppix runs
    ok, then regular Linux distros should be ok, too.

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
    http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Apr 19, 2006
  10. Judges1318

    Peter Guest

    Judges1318 wrote:

    > Would someone, please, be able to comment on
    > running linux on laptops? What works, what does not?
    > Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem? Wifi?

    If it has one of these crappy winmodems, this is the biggest problem, you
    have to buy the drivers, although you can try a crippled version 14k max.

    External modem may be the answer.
    Peter, Apr 19, 2006
  11. Judges1318

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:37:39 +1200, Gordon <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:12:02 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:10:54 +1200, Judges1318
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>

    >>>Would someone, please, be able to comment on
    >>>running linux on laptops? What works, what does not?
    >>>Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem? Wifi?
    >>>

    >> It's not worth it. Most laptops come with Windows preinstalled.

    >Some would argue that is the reason why it *is* worth it.

    ;-)
    Fred Dagg, Apr 19, 2006
  12. Judges1318

    Petrushka Guest

    On 19/04/06 21:15, Peter wrote:
    > Judges1318 wrote:
    >
    >> Would someone, please, be able to comment on
    >> running linux on laptops? What works, what does not?
    >> Drivers for all sorts of devices? Modem? Wifi?
    >>

    > If it has one of these crappy winmodems, this is the biggest problem, you
    > have to buy the drivers, although you can try a crippled version 14k max.
    >
    > External modem may be the answer.

    Snap. Modems are the biggest problem with all laptops. Those who know
    what they're doing can solve this problem, but I don't know what I'm
    doing :)
    Petrushka, Apr 20, 2006