  1. thing

    thing Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 25, 2004

  3. thing

    thing Guest

    thing, Oct 25, 2004
  4. thing wrote:
    >>> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/10/25/red_hat_users_targeted_by_bogus_advisory.html
    >>> ;]

    >> heh, I was going to post this last night, but thought about how I'd
    >> posted the 2.6 vun earlier, and didn't want to get bagged for two in
    >> one day.

    > 2.6 one?

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19253

    "USERS OF Linux running a 2.6 series kernel and using iptables for
    firewalling have been advised to upgrade to fix a bug which could be
    exploited remotely to cause a denial of service.

    The bug, discovered by Richard Hart, does not affect the 2.4 series
    kernel or the later version. It is caused by an integer underflow
    problem in the iptables firewall logging rules. This means that a hacker
    could remotely crash the machine by using a specially designed IP packet.

    Ironically, they can only do this if a firewall is enabled in the kernel.

    A spokesSuSE said a workaround was to disable firewall logging of IP and
    TCP options. It is better practice to upgrade your kernel to the latest
    version. ยต"

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz