    Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
    the basics and how-to's of Linux?

    KeithS

    KeithS, Dec 11, 2003

  2. "KeithS" <> wrote in message
    news:3fd83191$...
    > Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
    > the basics and how-to's of Linux

    Knoppix http://www.knoppix.org/
    is a version of Linux that you can download, and burn to cd, for free.
    No need to install it either (although you could)
    Just pop the cd into your machine , reboot, and the os runs right off the
    cd. It won't change your windows settings. Remove the cd, reboot, you're
    back to windows. Lots of apps are included also.
    Automatically will detect your internet connection.
    Wonderful thing to get the *taste* of Linux.
    Cheers.
    WorkingClassHero, Dec 11, 2003

  3. "KeithS" <> writes:

    > Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
    > the basics and how-to's of Linux?
    >
    > KeithS

    If you're looking for a good, newbie friendly Linux distro, I
    _strongly_ recommend Mandrake 9.2. It also has great user support at
    its own, very active, newsgroup, alt.os.linux.mandrake

    --
    Registered Linux User 297164
    GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3
    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  4. It was on Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:01:41 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that KeithS wrote:

    > Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
    > the basics and how-to's of Linux?
    >
    > KeithS

    Have a look at these:-
    http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

    http://www.tuxfiles.org/

    You can download various ISO's to run from a CD, here:-
    http://www.linuxiso.org/

    Unfortunatly they haven't got the latest SuSE evaluation ISO,
    live-eval-9.0, but you can download it from
    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/

    SuSE is very easy to setup & use.

    Whichever distribution you eventually settle for, you will
    probably find that you will be happier. You won't need to
    worry too much about viruses, nor will you need to keep defragging
    your system...as you have with another OS.

    HTH :)

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    William Poaster, Dec 11, 2003
  5. ng comp.os.linux.help
    Never subscribed to it so i've no idea how helpful it is.

    =-----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the

    World!

    =-----
    Situation Toasted, Dec 11, 2003
  6. William Poaster <> writes:

    > SuSE is very easy to setup & use.

    Don't listen to him, Keith! SuSe is pure Teutonic evil - expensive,
    soul-less German stodge. Mandrake is lithe, free-spirited, French
    art. Plus it's _heaps_ cheaper than SuSe - I got the 7CD Mandrake
    PowerPack for less than half the price of the equivalent SuSe
    package. If you switch to Linux, you will be required to take sides in
    distro and text editor holy wars, so, right now, repeat after me -
    Vive Mandrake! There is no editor but Xemacs, and GNUs its prophet.

    (The above, of course, is total nonsense, the sort of tomfoolery
    engendered by a a lighthearted happy spirit, one liberated from the
    burden of Redmond. The Suser was, basically correct. Appalling taste in
    choice of distro, but basically correct)
    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  7. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:01:41 +0000, Be.Al.Zeebub read and pondered:

    > Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
    > the basics and how-to's of Linux?
    >
    > KeithS

    Linux and the Web go together like a hand and glove. Poke around the links
    below to see what might suit you. I've tried a few Linux distributions,
    but keep returning to Mandrake as a home desktop. If you have broadband
    try downloading one or two of the live CDs that the Linux distributors
    put out. Mandrake Move is a good one, but still in Beta; SuSE Live-eval
    was a bit slow, even on my machine. Knoppix is good and will tell you if
    Linux will work on you hardware. If you're on dial up and decide to go
    with Linux, do yourself a favour and buy a real modem. Oh, and stop
    thinking Windows...

    http://www.google.com/linux
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/
    http://www.linuxiso.org/
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.bache/mandrake-faq.html
    http://fedora.redhat.com/
    http://www.suse.com/index_us.html

    Enjoy
    No viruses to speak of, no disk defrag, no this program has performed an
    illegal operation, no sloppy security, no browser hijackers, no reboots,
    no spyware, no adware...and no product activation.

    B.
    B.Al.Zeebub, Dec 11, 2003
  8. KeithS

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:35:49 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    >William Poaster <> writes:
    >
    >> SuSE is very easy to setup & use.

    >Don't listen to him, Keith! SuSe is pure Teutonic evil - expensive,
    >soul-less German stodge. Mandrake is lithe, free-spirited, French
    >art. Plus it's _heaps_ cheaper than SuSe - I got the 7CD Mandrake
    >PowerPack for less than half the price of the equivalent SuSe
    >package. If you switch to Linux, you will be required to take sides in
    >distro and text editor holy wars, so, right now, repeat after me -
    >Vive Mandrake! There is no editor but Xemacs, and GNUs its prophet.

    You need to stop rolling and smoking artichokes with hollandaise sauce.

    "Or at least, stop inhaling."

    >(The above, of course, is total nonsense, the sort of tomfoolery
    >engendered by a a lighthearted happy spirit, one liberated from the
    >burden of Redmond. The Suser was, basically correct. Appalling taste in
    >choice of distro, but basically correct)

    --
    When life gives you lemons, throw them back and tell life to make its own
    damned lemonade. --Unknown
    Mara, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Mara <> writes:

    > You need to stop rolling and smoking artichokes with hollandaise sauce.
    >
    > "Or at least, stop inhaling."

    For you, my Queen, of course. I was wondering whether my slagging off
    Suse would draw the attention of your femalevolence, since, IIRC, you
    have used it yourself.

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  10. It was on Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:35:49 +1300, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > William Poaster <> writes:
    >
    >> SuSE is very easy to setup & use.

    > Don't listen to him, Keith! SuSe is pure Teutonic evil - expensive,
    > soul-less German stodge. Mandrake is lithe, free-spirited, French
    > art. Plus it's _heaps_ cheaper than SuSe - I got the 7CD Mandrake
    > PowerPack for less than half the price of the equivalent SuSe
    > package.

    Hmmpph! FYI, you bottom dwelling devil of the netherworld -

    A] You can download SuSE with all it's packages for free, from SuSE
    or any of it's mirror sights.

    B] I got my SuSE copies off a friend for £5 [ & copying is quite
    legitimate for linux ] to cover the CDs, postage & insurance etc. :)
    £5 is about 12AUD, ATM.
    So you got Mudlark for less than that?? <g>

    C] You can buy copies off ebay too, for a reasonable price.

    > If you switch to Linux, you will be required to take sides in
    > distro and text editor holy wars, so, right now, repeat after me -
    > Vive Mandrake! There is no editor but Xemacs, and GNUs its prophet.

    > (The above, of course, is total nonsense, the sort of tomfoolery
    > engendered by a a lighthearted happy spirit, one liberated from the
    > burden of Redmond.

    Agreed! :)

    > The Suser was, basically correct. Appalling taste in
    > choice of distro, but basically correct)

    Pah! Pfffft! Humbug! Cet la Mudlark zat is too Franch, & one day it
    will do sumsing veree franch to vous...& zen, mon ami, tu es up la creek
    sans la paddle ! Hee, haw, hee haw, n'est pas?

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    William Poaster, Dec 11, 2003
  11. KeithS

    Greg M Guest

    "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in

    > If you're on dial up and decide to go
    > with Linux, do yourself a favour and buy a real modem.

    Heck, a good external is worth it's weight for any os. <g>

    --
    "For me. color was
    daylong obsession, joy,
    Greg M, Dec 11, 2003
  12. William Poaster <> writes:

    > A] You can download SuSE with all it's packages for free, from SuSE
    > or any of it's mirror sights.
    >
    > B] I got my SuSE copies off a friend for £5 [ & copying is quite
    > legitimate for linux ] to cover the CDs, postage & insurance etc. :)
    > £5 is about 12AUD, ATM.
    > So you got Mudlark for less than that?? <g>

    Yes. I got the 3CD download edition for $12NZ - $10AU. I then saw an
    irresistible deal on the 7CD PowerPack, featuring the NVidia drivers,
    Real, Acrobat, and several other commercial goodies, (inc. demo/trial
    versions of vmware, Win4Lin, CrossOver Office) for only
    $80NZ($49US). SuSe charges $80US for the equivalent package deal. QED.

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  13. Greg M <> writes:

    > Heck, a good external is worth it's weight for any os. <g>

    Seconded. I bought my external for an abortive attempt at Mandrake
    7.2, but it served me well in W98 and 2K, until I switched to ADSL.

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  14. It was on Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:57:40 +1300, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > William Poaster <> writes:
    >
    >> A] You can download SuSE with all it's packages for free, from SuSE
    >> or any of it's mirror sights.
    >>
    >> B] I got my SuSE copies off a friend for £5 [ & copying is quite
    >> legitimate for linux ] to cover the CDs, postage & insurance etc. :)
    >> £5 is about 12AUD, ATM.
    >> So you got Mudlark for less than that?? <g>

    > Yes. I got the 3CD download edition for $12NZ - $10AU. I then saw an
    > irresistible deal on the 7CD PowerPack, featuring the NVidia drivers,
    > Real, Acrobat, and several other commercial goodies, (inc. demo/trial
    > versions of vmware, Win4Lin, CrossOver Office) for only
    > $80NZ($49US). SuSe charges $80US for the equivalent package deal. QED.

    Not a bad deal, Max! :)

    However, I got all 5 SuSE CD's for the £5, & it includes all the
    applications, Open Office, Acrobat etc, as well as Gnome etc.
    As for nVIDIA updates, Yast Online Update takes care of that. It notifies
    me of any updates &, after changing to root, it downloads &
    auto installs them... :)
    I've been using SuSE since version 6.4, after trying Coral & RedHat. I
    liked it much better, & it was easier to install & configure, IMHO.

    I, like others, am now waiting to see what effect Novell will have
    after taking over SuSE. There seemed to be mixed reactions in the SuSE
    ng at the time.
    From time to time, LinuxFormat magazine gives away distributions on
    the cover DvD, & a month or two back gave out FreeBSD, gentoo. Last
    month's giveaway was Mandrake 9.2.

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    "Penguin power!"
    William Poaster, Dec 11, 2003
  15. It was on Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:05:18 +1300, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > Greg M <> writes:
    >
    >> Heck, a good external is worth it's weight for any os. <g>

    > Seconded. I bought my external for an abortive attempt at Mandrake
    > 7.2, but it served me well in W98 and 2K, until I switched to ADSL.

    Yes, though I still keep my external modem as a backup. :)

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    William Poaster, Dec 11, 2003
  16. KeithS

    Greg M Guest

    William Poaster <> wrote in

    > It was on Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:05:18 +1300, just as I was halfway
    > through a large jam doughnut, that Max Quordlepleen wrote:
    >
    >> Greg M <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Heck, a good external is worth it's weight for any os. <g>

    >> Seconded. I bought my external for an abortive attempt at Mandrake
    >> 7.2, but it served me well in W98 and 2K, until I switched to ADSL.

    > Yes, though I still keep my external modem as a backup. :)

    The (awesome, I'm led to believe) US$300+ Couriers are still only going
    for around $35-$40 on eBay.

    --
    "For me. color was
    daylong obsession, joy,
    Greg M, Dec 11, 2003
  17. William Poaster <> writes:

    > However, I got all 5 SuSE CD's for the £5, & it includes all the
    > applications, Open Office, Acrobat etc,

    Then getting a copy from a mate _was_ in violation, as Acrobat is not
    GPL'd. The only reason Mandrake charges more for its PowerPack, as
    does SusE, is that they contain proprietary, non-GPL software, the
    copying and distribution of which is unauthorised. The downloadable
    SuSe ISO's are not of its $80 5CD set. Give me 20 quid and I won't dob
    you in to Adobe, and whoever else's software you nicked. :-D
    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  18. It was on Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:40:28 +1300, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > William Poaster <> writes:
    >
    >> However, I got all 5 SuSE CD's for the £5, & it includes all the
    >> applications, Open Office, Acrobat etc,

    > Then getting a copy from a mate _was_ in violation, as Acrobat is not
    > GPL'd. The only reason Mandrake charges more for its PowerPack, as
    > does SusE, is that they contain proprietary, non-GPL software, the
    > copying and distribution of which is unauthorised. The downloadable
    > SuSe ISO's are not of its $80 5CD set. Give me 20 quid and I won't dob
    > you in to Adobe, and whoever else's software you nicked. :-D

    Blackmail, eh? ;-) The QoE would be proud of you I'm sure! LOL!
    However, I was mistaken. The Adobe Acrobat Reader wasn't on the latest
    CD's, but was on an earlier ( last year) SuSE set I had. I just took
    it of that & installed on both machines. I've since updated it from
    the Adobe site. There has been a lot of discussion in the SuSE ng's
    & forums, from time to time, about what can & cannot be done with the
    SuSE distribution, & the general consensus is that it *can* be given
    away, as long as any charges that are made are *only* for the
    cost of CD's, & postage etc. I have also passed CD's on to friends.
    SuSE itself also has a proprietry software licence for YaST, but as long
    as the licence accompanies the distribution, & the YaST software is not
    modified in any way, then you can pass it on. ATM, there is hope that they
    will licence it under the GPL, in case of any future developments from
    Novell, that may prohibit it being passed on in any way, shape or form.

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    William Poaster, Dec 11, 2003
  19. I would be interested to compare YAST to the Mandrake equivalent. BTW,
    the SCO vs IBM case will not reach court until '05 at the earliest,
    apparently, by which time, I suspect SCO will be asking its lawyers to
    work pro bono. Methinks the IBM/Novell alliance has deeper pockets
    than SCO, and I can't see even Redmond forking out too much more money
    on flogging a dead horse. Bill has bigger worries, with rumours that
    your very own NHS is seriously contemplating switching 800K desktops
    to OpenSource.

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  20. KeithS

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:32:14 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    >Mara <> writes:
    >
    >> You need to stop rolling and smoking artichokes with hollandaise sauce.
    >>
    >> "Or at least, stop inhaling."

    >For you, my Queen, of course. I was wondering whether my slagging off
    >Suse would draw the attention of your femalevolence, since, IIRC, you
    >have used it yourself.

    I currently use both SuSE 9.0 and Mandrake 9.2. And of course 2k. And SE.

    _bleah_

    "The _bleah_ is reserved for SE. What a PITA."

    Mara, Dec 11, 2003