    me.
    Please tell me what I should do now.
    Joy
    Joy, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Joy

    thingy Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > I've put freespire on a spare pc and now need to set it up for a user, not
    > me.
    > Please tell me what I should do now.
    > Joy

    Assuming you have a root command line type adduser <name-of-user>

    followed by passwd <name-of-user> and set a password, now logout and the
    new user should now be able to login.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message
    > I've put freespire on a spare pc and now need to set it up for a user, not
    > me.
    > Please tell me what I should do now.
    > Joy

    Ok, first user set up, that was easy, the internet is working, the user is
    now asking for msn, that's a little harder, any ideas?
    Joy
    Joy, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Joy

    Shane Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > I've put freespire on a spare pc and now need to set it up for a user, not
    > me.
    > Please tell me what I should do now.
    > Joy

    KUser?
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=review-knoppix
    After this, I used KDE's tools to add user "robert" (rather than always
    being either "root" or user "knoppix"). To do this, open the menu "System"
    then "Kuser" (KDE's user manager) and type the root password when
    prompted - you can then add a new user. One thing you must consider is what
    groups you want this new user to belong to. By way of comparison,
    user "knoppix" is a privileged character, belonging to all the following
    groups: audio, cdrom, fax, floppy, games, dialout, dip, sudo, tape, usb,
    users, video, and voice. I decide to let my new user "robert" belong to the
    groups cdrom, dialout, dip, sudo and users.

    --
    [Representatives from the Globetrotter planet challenge Earth to a
    basketball game.]

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Oct 30, 2006
  5. Joy

    Shane Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > "Joy" <> wrote in message
    >> I've put freespire on a spare pc and now need to set it up for a user,
    >> not me.
    >> Please tell me what I should do now.
    >> Joy

    > Ok, first user set up, that was easy, the internet is working, the user is
    > now asking for msn, that's a little harder, any ideas?
    > Joy

    http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Using_Instant_Messenger_(Gaim)
    One of the greatest programs that comes with Freespire is it's Instant
    Messenger that is powered by Gaim. Gaim allows you to use several instant
    messaging and chat services using a single program with a simple and
    intuitive user interface; in fact, Gaim is compatible with 9 chat services,
    including the popular AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and Internet Relay Chat (IRC). In
    this guide we will cover setting up the program to use these particular
    ones since AIM, MSN, and Yahoo are the most common for personal
    communication, and IRC since it is used for the Freespire Community chats.

    --
    Bender: You know, I was God once.
    God: Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Oct 30, 2006
  6. Joy

    steve Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > I've put freespire on a spare pc and now need to set it up for a user, not
    > me.
    > Please tell me what I should do now.
    > Joy

    There is likley some sort of "control panel" GUI somewhere on the menus.

    Maybe under "System" or Administration" or something similar.

    I have not used Freespire, but if the GUI is Gnome or KDE, these suggestions
    should hold true.
    steve, Oct 30, 2006
  7. Joy

    steve Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > "Joy" <> wrote in message
    >> I've put freespire on a spare pc and now need to set it up for a user,
    >> not me.
    >> Please tell me what I should do now.
    >> Joy

    > Ok, first user set up, that was easy, the internet is working, the user is
    > now asking for msn, that's a little harder, any ideas?
    > Joy

    "GAIM" will talk to MSN messaging, last time I check into it.

    There is also "Kopete".

    There are others.
    steve, Oct 30, 2006