Linux most commonly breached OS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by madmax, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. madmax

    madmax Guest

    Phil Hochmuth, Network World

    11/11/2004 11:56:31

    "According to London security analysis and consulting firm mi2g, Linux
    is the most commonly breached operating system on computers connected to
    the Internet 24/7.

    The findings come from a recent report by the research firm, which
    analyzed almost 240,000 incidents of what it calls "digital breaches" of
    systems connected to the Internet. The firm analyzed these breaches,
    which included manual hacking attacks as well as virus, worm and other
    malware propagation, over a 12-month period from November 2003 to
    October 2004.

    According to the research firm's report, Linux accounted for 65% of the
    154,846 systems that were found to be hacked. Windows-based operating
    systems were second, accounting for 25% of the breached systems examined
    in the study."

    What say ye?
    -max
    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Virus cleaning +fixes see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/TechPros
    madmax, Nov 13, 2004

  2. madmax

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 05:27:41 GMT, madmax wrote:

    It's always funny, the <insert OS> bashing articles posted without URLs.

    http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;188808220

    >Phil Hochmuth, Network World
    >
    >11/11/2004 11:56:31
    >
    >"According to London security analysis and consulting firm mi2g, Linux
    >is the most commonly breached operating system on computers connected to
    >the Internet 24/7.

    <snip>
    >What say ye?

    It's for exactly the same reasons Windows has been used as a DDoS
    platform and been attacked for years by all manner of nasty things. It's
    simple user education, no matter what the OS is.

    >-max

    Me
    why?, Nov 13, 2004

  3. In article <> why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 05:27:41 GMT, madmax wrote:
    >
    >It's always funny, the <insert OS> bashing articles posted without URLs.

    Oh really?

    >http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;188808220
    >
    >>Phil Hochmuth, Network World
    >>
    >>11/11/2004 11:56:31
    >>
    >>"According to London security analysis and consulting firm mi2g, Linux
    >>is the most commonly breached operating system on computers connected to
    >>the Internet 24/7.
    >>

    ><snip>
    >>What say ye?

    >It's for exactly the same reasons Windows has been used as a DDoS
    >platform and been attacked for years by all manner of nasty things. It's
    >simple user education, no matter what the OS is.

    Are you positive that is the real reason?

    >>-max

    >Me

    What makes you think I do not acknowledge them?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "So was your post. I can only hope my response aids in furthering
    your programming." -- endus
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 13, 2004
  4. madmax

    WormWood Guest

    "madmax" <> wrote in message
    | Phil Hochmuth, Network World
    |
    | 11/11/2004 11:56:31
    |
    | "According to London security analysis and consulting firm mi2g, Linux
    | is the most commonly breached operating system on computers connected
    | the Internet 24/7.
    |
    | The findings come from a recent report by the research firm, which
    | analyzed almost 240,000 incidents of what it calls "digital breaches"
    of
    | systems connected to the Internet. The firm analyzed these breaches,
    | which included manual hacking attacks as well as virus, worm and other
    | malware propagation, over a 12-month period from November 2003 to
    | October 2004.
    |
    | According to the research firm's report, Linux accounted for 65% of
    the
    | 154,846 systems that were found to be hacked. Windows-based operating
    | systems were second, accounting for 25% of the breached systems
    examined
    | in the study."
    |
    | What say ye?
    | -max

    And third was? Mac?
    WormWood, Nov 13, 2004
  5. madmax

    madmax Guest

    madmax, Nov 13, 2004
  6. madmax

    trout Guest

    WormWood wrote:

    > "madmax" <> wrote in message

    >> According to the research firm's report, Linux accounted for 65% of
    >> the 154,846 systems that were found to be hacked. Windows-based
    >> operating systems were second, accounting for 25% of the breached
    >> systems examined in the study."
    >>
    >> What say ye?
    >> -max

    > And third was? Mac?

    Atari.
    --
    "Hey, who's been screwing with my 'Asteroids'?"
    trout, Nov 13, 2004
  7. madmax

    Dan Evans Guest

    "madmax" <> wrote in message
    > Phil Hochmuth, Network World
    >
    > 11/11/2004 11:56:31
    >
    > "According to London security analysis and consulting firm mi2g, Linux is
    > the most commonly breached operating system on computers connected to the
    > Internet 24/7.
    >
    > The findings come from a recent report by the research firm, which
    > analyzed almost 240,000 incidents of what it calls "digital breaches" of
    > systems connected to the Internet. The firm analyzed these breaches, which
    > included manual hacking attacks as well as virus, worm and other malware
    > propagation, over a 12-month period from November 2003 to October 2004.
    >
    > According to the research firm's report, Linux accounted for 65% of the
    > 154,846 systems that were found to be hacked. Windows-based operating
    > systems were second, accounting for 25% of the breached systems examined
    > in the study."
    >
    > What say ye?

    Saying "Linux" is like saying "car". IF you say 65% of accidents are caused
    by cars, you'd want to know if it was the drivers fault (or indifferent
    clueless user) or if it was a car problem what type of car? was it a
    Mercedes (Debian Linux) or a piece of shit Yugo or Wartburg (Red Hat).

    Linux is, IMHO, on the whole more secure than Windows. But now Windows has
    SP2 with its built in firewall that most users don't know/care how to turn
    off, and Red Hat etc seem to be making good inroads into the home user
    market - but how many home users are using Linux without knowing how to use
    it? I know several people who are "I run Linux" types, but are hopeless, the
    installer just led them through installation without them being rewquired to
    know anything.

    Corporate versus Home use - 2 completely different scenarios.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 13, 2004
  8. madmax

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:48:33 GMT, madmax wrote:

    >Sorry, here is link
    >http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;188808220;fp;512;fpid;944830112
    >-max

    Thanks :) , if you included the last paragraph it changes the feel of
    the article a bit ,

    " the "take-away" from mi2g's report may just be common sense: home
    Linux users and small businesses - download your operating system
    patches and update your firewall software. "

    Me
    why?, Nov 13, 2004
  9. madmax

    WormWood Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    | WormWood wrote:
    |
    | > "madmax" <> wrote in message
    |
    | >> According to the research firm's report, Linux accounted for 65% of
    | >> the 154,846 systems that were found to be hacked. Windows-based
    | >> operating systems were second, accounting for 25% of the breached
    | >> systems examined in the study."
    | >>
    | >> What say ye?
    | >> -max
    | >
    | > And third was? Mac?
    |
    | Atari.
    | --
    | "Hey, who's been screwing with my 'Asteroids'?"

    Preparation H should fix your Asteroids.
    WormWood, Nov 13, 2004
  10. madmax

    greyhawkmud Guest

    madmax <> wrote in message news:<hXgld.14177$>...
    > Phil Hochmuth, Network World
    >
    > 11/11/2004 11:56:31
    >
    > "According to London security analysis and consulting firm mi2g, Linux
    > is the most commonly breached operating system on computers connected to
    > the Internet 24/7.

    > What say ye?

    The article states the main source of information as:
    "Mi2g says it gets its data from "personal relationships" with C-level
    executives in the banking and insurance industries in North America,
    Europe and Asia."

    So sounds like a highly biased _opinion_ to me.
    (Likely by people that thinks Billy G is God and MS Windows is the
    best thing since wheel.)

    Why would banking & insurance executives know (read think) the
    majority of home PCs with Linux are the ones being hacked?
    greyhawkmud, Nov 13, 2004
  11. In article <> (greyhawkmud) wrote:

    >The article states the main source of information as:
    >"Mi2g says it gets its data from "personal relationships" with C-level
    >executives in the banking and insurance industries in North America,
    >Europe and Asia."

    I don't think so.

    >So sounds like a highly biased _opinion_ to me.
    >(Likely by people that thinks Billy G is God and MS Windows is the
    >best thing since wheel.)

    A worthy woman is far more precious than jewels, strength and dignity
    are her clothing.

    >Why would banking & insurance executives know (read think) the
    >majority of home PCs with Linux are the ones being hacked?

    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know
    they shall never sit in.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "the bot master surfaces at least ten posts per day. pete, you should
    stick your eye balls into a pencil sharpener." -- yyyiiinnnggg
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 13, 2004
  12. madmax

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:

    > I don't think so.

    Oh. I expected you to think so.

    > A worthy woman is far more precious than jewels, strength and dignity
    > are her clothing.

    Do you want a girlfriend?

    > A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know
    > they shall never sit in.

    Not ever?

    --
    Solve the food crisis and the homeless pet problem.
    Eat a dog today!
    Aquila Deus, Nov 13, 2004