Linux Media Centres

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. Jeremy “Samba†Allison recounts his experiences
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    collections into a more easily-accessible online form.

    Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing support for less-
    clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy tech type, the less support
    he has to give them, the happier he is. So he likes to set them up with low-
    maintenance Linux-based systems.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 4, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Jeremy “Samba” Allison recounts his experiences
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    > collections into a more easily-accessible online form.
    >
    > Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing support
    > for less- clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy tech type,
    > the less support he has to give them, the happier he is. So he likes
    > to set them up with low- maintenance Linux-based systems.
    >

    Well, let's see. I have 22 programs in my "Sound and Video folder". I
    have three kernels, RT (for the tricky stuff, editting and so on) and
    not RT (for normal background listening). Of those 22 programs about 3 -
    4 are mixers and controllers of some sort, three or four are audio
    players and about the same number are audio/video players, there are
    several meters, audio editors, MIDI players and other more specific use
    programs (eg RoseGarden). And so on.

    This is all because some players don't play some audio/video files and
    others do. If Totem doesn't play it (and Totem has trouble with many,
    many files) I use something else or play it in something like VLC. And
    some are because I need MIDI for the MIDI instruments and that opens a
    whole new can of worms (sequencers, synths and so on).

    Audio and video on Linux is *NOT* in any way simple. I've never found an
    audio/video player that flawlessly plays everything. Also managing audio
    files is a nightmare which is only made worse by the idiosyncratic
    programs that are around to manage your collection.

    Oh and that 22 programs doesn't take into account the command line
    programs that I use.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Jeremy “Samba†Allison recounts his experiences
    >>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    >>> collections into a more easily-accessible online form.
    >>>
    >>> Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing support
    >>> for less- clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy tech type,
    >>> the less support he has to give them, the happier he is. So he likes
    >>> to set them up with low- maintenance Linux-based systems.
    >>>

    >> Well, let's see. I have 22 programs in my "Sound and Video folder". I
    >> have three kernels, RT (for the tricky stuff, editting and so on) and
    >> not RT (for normal background listening). Of those 22 programs about 3 -
    >> 4 are mixers and controllers of some sort, three or four are audio
    >> players and about the same number are audio/video players, there are
    >> several meters, audio editors, MIDI players and other more specific use
    >> programs (eg RoseGarden). And so on.
    >>
    >> This is all because some players don't play some audio/video files and
    >> others do. If Totem doesn't play it (and Totem has trouble with many,
    >> many files) I use something else or play it in something like VLC. And
    >> some are because I need MIDI for the MIDI instruments and that opens a
    >> whole new can of worms (sequencers, synths and so on).
    >>
    >> Audio and video on Linux is *NOT* in any way simple.

    >
    > That's definitely true for video. There is a dearth of decent video editing
    > applications available.
    >
    >> I've never found an
    >> audio/video player that flawlessly plays everything. Also managing audio
    >> files is a nightmare which is only made worse by the idiosyncratic
    >> programs that are around to manage your collection.

    >
    > I find Amarok to be quite nice. I'm stuck with 1.4 at work because KDE4 has
    > features missing that I use.
    >

    Amarok is the least worst, but its idiosyncratic interface drives me
    mad. Also it requires the KDE libraries which is another load of baggage
    that I didn't need.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2010
    #3
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 13:52:41 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Jeremy “Samba†Allison recounts his experiences
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    >> collections into a more easily-accessible online form.
    >>
    >> Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing support for
    >> less- clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy tech type, the
    >> less support he has to give them, the happier he is. So he likes to set
    >> them up with low- maintenance Linux-based systems.
    >>

    > Well, let's see. I have 22 programs in my "Sound and Video folder". I
    > have three kernels, RT (for the tricky stuff, editting and so on) and
    > not RT (for normal background listening). Of those 22 programs about 3 -
    > 4 are mixers and controllers of some sort, three or four are audio
    > players and about the same number are audio/video players, there are
    > several meters, audio editors, MIDI players and other more specific use
    > programs (eg RoseGarden). And so on.
    >
    > This is all because some players don't play some audio/video files and
    > others do. If Totem doesn't play it (and Totem has trouble with many,
    > many files) I use something else or play it in something like VLC. And
    > some are because I need MIDI for the MIDI instruments and that opens a
    > whole new can of worms (sequencers, synths and so on).
    >
    > Audio and video on Linux is *NOT* in any way simple. I've never found an
    > audio/video player that flawlessly plays everything. Also managing audio
    > files is a nightmare which is only made worse by the idiosyncratic
    > programs that are around to manage your collection.
    >
    > Oh and that 22 programs doesn't take into account the command line
    > programs that I use.


    Isn't it good to have such a choice of good and varied applications available for you to use. And they
    are included with the OS, And you are free to uninstall any or all of them and install something else if
    that takes your fancy!

    Can you say the same about the multi-media applications bundled with MS Windows?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 5, 2010
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:31:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Amarok is the least worst, but its idiosyncratic interface drives me
    > mad. Also it requires the KDE libraries which is another load of baggage
    > that I didn't need.


    Well it *IS* a KDE application developed by the KDE project!

    Have you tried using Kaffeine as a media player?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 5, 2010
    #5
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 07:51:16 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 13:52:41 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Jeremy “Samba” Allison recounts his experiences
    >>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    >>> collections into a more easily-accessible online form.
    >>>
    >>> Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing support for
    >>> less- clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy tech type, the
    >>> less support he has to give them, the happier he is. So he likes to set
    >>> them up with low- maintenance Linux-based systems.
    >>>

    >> Well, let's see. I have 22 programs in my "Sound and Video folder". I
    >> have three kernels, RT (for the tricky stuff, editting and so on) and
    >> not RT (for normal background listening). Of those 22 programs about 3 -
    >> 4 are mixers and controllers of some sort, three or four are audio
    >> players and about the same number are audio/video players, there are
    >> several meters, audio editors, MIDI players and other more specific use
    >> programs (eg RoseGarden). And so on.
    >>
    >> This is all because some players don't play some audio/video files and
    >> others do. If Totem doesn't play it (and Totem has trouble with many,
    >> many files) I use something else or play it in something like VLC. And
    >> some are because I need MIDI for the MIDI instruments and that opens a
    >> whole new can of worms (sequencers, synths and so on).
    >>
    >> Audio and video on Linux is *NOT* in any way simple. I've never found an
    >> audio/video player that flawlessly plays everything. Also managing audio
    >> files is a nightmare which is only made worse by the idiosyncratic
    >> programs that are around to manage your collection.
    >>
    >> Oh and that 22 programs doesn't take into account the command line
    >> programs that I use.

    >
    >Isn't it good to have such a choice of good and varied applications available for you to use. And they
    >are included with the OS, And you are free to uninstall any or all of them and install something else if
    >that takes your fancy!



    Yes. It gives me a real viagra-type boner.

    >Can you say the same about the multi-media applications bundled with MS Windows?


    Sure, like those 22 programs were "bundled" with the OS.
    Cima, Jan 5, 2010
    #6
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 22:02:43 +1300, Cima wrote:

    >>Isn't it good to have such a choice of good and varied applications
    >>available for you to use. And they are included with the OS, And you are
    >>free to uninstall any or all of them and install something else if that
    >>takes your fancy!

    >
    > Yes. It gives me a real viagra-type boner.


    Really???

    Have you thought of doing something to remedy that fetish?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 5, 2010
    #7
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 13:52:41 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Jeremy “Samba†Allison recounts his experiences
    >>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    >>> collections into a more easily-accessible online form.
    >>>
    >>> Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing
    >>> support for less- clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy
    >>> tech type, the less support he has to give them, the happier he
    >>> is. So he likes to set them up with low- maintenance Linux-based
    >>> systems.
    >>>

    >> Well, let's see. I have 22 programs in my "Sound and Video folder".
    >> I have three kernels, RT (for the tricky stuff, editting and so on)
    >> and not RT (for normal background listening). Of those 22 programs
    >> about 3 - 4 are mixers and controllers of some sort, three or four
    >> are audio players and about the same number are audio/video
    >> players, there are several meters, audio editors, MIDI players and
    >> other more specific use programs (eg RoseGarden). And so on.
    >>
    >> This is all because some players don't play some audio/video files
    >> and others do. If Totem doesn't play it (and Totem has trouble with
    >> many, many files) I use something else or play it in something like
    >> VLC. And some are because I need MIDI for the MIDI instruments and
    >> that opens a whole new can of worms (sequencers, synths and so on).
    >>
    >>
    >> Audio and video on Linux is *NOT* in any way simple. I've never
    >> found an audio/video player that flawlessly plays everything. Also
    >> managing audio files is a nightmare which is only made worse by the
    >> idiosyncratic programs that are around to manage your collection.
    >>
    >> Oh and that 22 programs doesn't take into account the command line
    >> programs that I use.

    >
    > Isn't it good to have such a choice of good and varied applications
    > available for you to use. And they are included with the OS, And you
    > are free to uninstall any or all of them and install something else
    > if that takes your fancy!
    >
    > Can you say the same about the multi-media applications bundled with
    > MS Windows?
    >

    Lawrence claimed that Linux audio/video stuff was simple enough to give
    to novices. In view of the fact that I often have to try a couple of
    appls to run audio/video stuff even of the same sort, I disagreed.

    Novices do not appreciate the depth of choice. They want one appl to do
    it all, and Linux appls are not able to do that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2010
    #8
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:31:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Amarok is the least worst, but its idiosyncratic interface drives me
    >> mad. Also it requires the KDE libraries which is another load of baggage
    >> that I didn't need.

    >
    > Well it *IS* a KDE application developed by the KDE project!
    >
    > Have you tried using Kaffeine as a media player?
    >

    No. I loathe and despise the KDE stuff as a rule, unless there is no
    alternative. I don't like the way that KDE appls do things.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2010
    #9
  10. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > I have been a KDE user for many years but am considering ditching it
    > because of the KDE4.4 fiasco.


    WHAT KDE4.4 fiasco?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2010
    #10
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>> Jeremy “Samba†Allison recounts his experiences
    >>>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    >>>> collections into a more easily-accessible online form.
    >>>>
    >>>> Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing support
    >>>> for less- clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy tech type,
    >>>> the less support he has to give them, the happier he is. So he likes
    >>>> to set them up with low- maintenance Linux-based systems.
    >>>>
    >>> Well, let's see. I have 22 programs in my "Sound and Video folder". I
    >>> have three kernels, RT (for the tricky stuff, editting and so on) and
    >>> not RT (for normal background listening). Of those 22 programs about 3 -
    >>> 4 are mixers and controllers of some sort, three or four are audio
    >>> players and about the same number are audio/video players, there are
    >>> several meters, audio editors, MIDI players and other more specific use
    >>> programs (eg RoseGarden). And so on.
    >>>
    >>> This is all because some players don't play some audio/video files and
    >>> others do. If Totem doesn't play it (and Totem has trouble with many,
    >>> many files) I use something else or play it in something like VLC. And
    >>> some are because I need MIDI for the MIDI instruments and that opens a
    >>> whole new can of worms (sequencers, synths and so on).
    >>>
    >>> Audio and video on Linux is *NOT* in any way simple.

    >>
    >> That's definitely true for video. There is a dearth of decent video
    >> editing
    >> applications available.
    >>
    >>> I've never found an audio/video player that flawlessly plays
    >>> everything. Also managing audio
    >>> files is a nightmare which is only made worse by the idiosyncratic
    >>> programs that are around to manage your collection.

    >>
    >> I find Amarok to be quite nice. I'm stuck with 1.4 at work because
    >> KDE4 has
    >> features missing that I use.
    >>

    > Amarok is the least worst, but its idiosyncratic interface drives me
    > mad. Also it requires the KDE libraries which is another load of baggage
    > that I didn't need.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >


    What's wrong with (g)mplayer?

    I've not had a problem with any file formats (Audio, or Video).
    Sailor Sam, Jan 6, 2010
    #11
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Sweetpea wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:31:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Amarok is the least worst, but its idiosyncratic interface drives me
    >>>> mad. Also it requires the KDE libraries which is another load of baggage
    >>>> that I didn't need.
    >>> Well it *IS* a KDE application developed by the KDE project!
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried using Kaffeine as a media player?
    >>>

    >> No. I loathe and despise the KDE stuff as a rule, unless there is no
    >> alternative. I don't like the way that KDE appls do things.

    >
    > What do you use as a Window manager/desktop environment? I have been a KDE
    > user for many years but am considering ditching it because of the KDE4.4
    > fiasco. Any recommendations on an alternative (but not Gnome, I've never
    > like that).
    >

    Gnome, to answer your question, but I'll refrain from recommending it.
    :cool: Some people like XFCE.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 6, 2010
    #12
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Allistar wrote:
    >>> Enkidu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>>> Jeremy “Samba†Allison recounts his experiences
    >>>>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    >>>>> collections into a more easily-accessible online form.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing support
    >>>>> for less- clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy tech type,
    >>>>> the less support he has to give them, the happier he is. So he likes
    >>>>> to set them up with low- maintenance Linux-based systems.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Well, let's see. I have 22 programs in my "Sound and Video folder". I
    >>>> have three kernels, RT (for the tricky stuff, editting and so on) and
    >>>> not RT (for normal background listening). Of those 22 programs about
    >>>> 3 -
    >>>> 4 are mixers and controllers of some sort, three or four are audio
    >>>> players and about the same number are audio/video players, there are
    >>>> several meters, audio editors, MIDI players and other more specific use
    >>>> programs (eg RoseGarden). And so on.
    >>>>
    >>>> This is all because some players don't play some audio/video files and
    >>>> others do. If Totem doesn't play it (and Totem has trouble with many,
    >>>> many files) I use something else or play it in something like VLC. And
    >>>> some are because I need MIDI for the MIDI instruments and that opens a
    >>>> whole new can of worms (sequencers, synths and so on).
    >>>>
    >>>> Audio and video on Linux is *NOT* in any way simple.
    >>>
    >>> That's definitely true for video. There is a dearth of decent video
    >>> editing
    >>> applications available.
    >>>
    >>>> I've never found an audio/video player that flawlessly plays
    >>>> everything. Also managing audio
    >>>> files is a nightmare which is only made worse by the idiosyncratic
    >>>> programs that are around to manage your collection.
    >>>
    >>> I find Amarok to be quite nice. I'm stuck with 1.4 at work because
    >>> KDE4 has
    >>> features missing that I use.
    >>>

    >> Amarok is the least worst, but its idiosyncratic interface drives me
    >> mad. Also it requires the KDE libraries which is another load of
    >> baggage that I didn't need.

    >
    > What's wrong with (g)mplayer?
    >
    > I've not had a problem with any file formats (Audio, or Video).
    >

    "Failed to open media" errors. Don't ask me what type of files, I don't
    remember and I'd bet that I'd opened media of that type successfully
    since. It's still on the pooter.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 6, 2010
    #13
  14. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been a KDE user for many years but am considering ditching it
    >>> because of the KDE4.4 fiasco.

    >>
    >> WHAT KDE4.4 fiasco?

    >
    > The fact that is is missing features that KDE 3.5 has.


    What features?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2010
    #14
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In message <>, Allistar
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I have been a KDE user for many years but am considering ditching it
    >>>> because of the KDE4.4 fiasco.
    >>> WHAT KDE4.4 fiasco?

    >> The fact that is is missing features that KDE 3.5 has.

    >
    > What features?
    >

    Usability, stability and good design.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 6, 2010
    #15
  16. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> In message <>, Allistar
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I have been a KDE user for many years but am considering ditching it
    >>>>> because of the KDE4.4 fiasco.
    >>>>
    >>>> WHAT KDE4.4 fiasco?
    >>>
    >>> The fact that is is missing features that KDE 3.5 has.

    >>
    >> What features?

    >
    > The ability to run multiple independant KDE sessions on one X server at
    > the same time. Can be done with KDE3.5, but not 4.3


    Something like this <http://en.gentoo-
    wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Dual_Monitors#Independent_Dual_Head_in_KDE_4.2>?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2010
    #16
  17. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:17:32 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >Sweetpea wrote:
    >> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 13:52:41 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>> Jeremy “Samba” Allison recounts his experiences
    >>>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28984> putting his audio and video
    >>>> collections into a more easily-accessible online form.
    >>>>
    >>>> Like many tech types, he tends to get roped into providing
    >>>> support for less- clued-up friends and family. And like any savvy
    >>>> tech type, the less support he has to give them, the happier he
    >>>> is. So he likes to set them up with low- maintenance Linux-based
    >>>> systems.
    >>>>
    >>> Well, let's see. I have 22 programs in my "Sound and Video folder".
    >>> I have three kernels, RT (for the tricky stuff, editting and so on)
    >>> and not RT (for normal background listening). Of those 22 programs
    >>> about 3 - 4 are mixers and controllers of some sort, three or four
    >>> are audio players and about the same number are audio/video
    >>> players, there are several meters, audio editors, MIDI players and
    >>> other more specific use programs (eg RoseGarden). And so on.
    >>>
    >>> This is all because some players don't play some audio/video files
    >>> and others do. If Totem doesn't play it (and Totem has trouble with
    >>> many, many files) I use something else or play it in something like
    >>> VLC. And some are because I need MIDI for the MIDI instruments and
    >>> that opens a whole new can of worms (sequencers, synths and so on).
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Audio and video on Linux is *NOT* in any way simple. I've never
    >>> found an audio/video player that flawlessly plays everything. Also
    >>> managing audio files is a nightmare which is only made worse by the
    >>> idiosyncratic programs that are around to manage your collection.
    >>>
    >>> Oh and that 22 programs doesn't take into account the command line
    >>> programs that I use.

    >>
    >> Isn't it good to have such a choice of good and varied applications
    >> available for you to use. And they are included with the OS, And you
    >> are free to uninstall any or all of them and install something else
    >> if that takes your fancy!
    >>
    >> Can you say the same about the multi-media applications bundled with
    >> MS Windows?
    >>

    >Lawrence claimed that Linux audio/video stuff was simple enough to give
    >to novices. In view of the fact that I often have to try a couple of
    >appls to run audio/video stuff even of the same sort, I disagreed.
    >
    >Novices do not appreciate the depth of choice. They want one appl to do
    >it all, and Linux appls are not able to do that.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff


    Nor are Windows apps either. There are plenty of times I have had to
    use a different player program under Windows.
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 6, 2010
    #17
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:32:42 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Sweetpea wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:31:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Amarok is the least worst, but its idiosyncratic interface drives me
    >>>> mad. Also it requires the KDE libraries which is another load of
    >>>> baggage that I didn't need.
    >>>
    >>> Well it *IS* a KDE application developed by the KDE project!
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried using Kaffeine as a media player?
    >>>

    >> No. I loathe and despise the KDE stuff as a rule, unless there is no
    >> alternative. I don't like the way that KDE appls do things.

    >
    > What do you use as a Window manager/desktop environment? I have been a
    > KDE user for many years but am considering ditching it because of the
    > KDE4.4 fiasco. Any recommendations on an alternative (but not Gnome,
    > I've never like that).


    but surely KDE 4.4 has not yet been release. What fiasco are you speaking about?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 6, 2010
    #18
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:17:32 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Lawrence claimed that Linux audio/video stuff was simple enough to give
    > to novices. In view of the fact that I often have to try a couple of
    > appls to run audio/video stuff even of the same sort, I disagreed.
    >
    > Novices do not appreciate the depth of choice. They want one appl to do
    > it all, and Linux appls are not able to do that.


    Personally, I find that most audio files will happily run using Kaffeine, provided you use the one from
    pacman rather than the one supplied as a part of SuSE. :)


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 6, 2010
    #19
  20. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Allistar
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The ability to run multiple independant KDE sessions on one X server at
    >>> the same time. Can be done with KDE3.5, but not 4.3

    >>
    >> Something like this <http://en.gentoo-
    >> wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Dual_Monitors#Independent_Dual_Head_in_KDE_4.2>?

    >
    > No. That's not running two independant KDE4 sessions. That's running one
    > KDE4 session and one XFCE (or whatever) session.


    Or how about one KDE4 session and one KDE3 session?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. kodi

    MCSD test centres

    kodi, Dec 2, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    971
  2. zzz

    testing centres

    zzz, Nov 10, 2004, in forum: MCSD
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    410
  3. Rajeev Kumar

    query about mcse centres

    Rajeev Kumar, Aug 19, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    500
    dipak brahm
    Oct 9, 2003
  4. Graham Moore

    Exams centres in London

    Graham Moore, Feb 2, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,990
    Simon Geary
    Feb 3, 2004
  5. Ray

    Call Centres

    Ray, Apr 2, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    764
    Toolman Tim
    Apr 3, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page