    all. And I don't know how to disable the touchpad single left click.
    Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations on a distro for this
    laptop, for a Linux beginner?
    icewhain, Jan 28, 2005

  2. icewhain

    Duane Arnold Guest

    icewhain <> wrote in
    news::

    > I'm fairly new to Linux, and am trying out Mandrake 10.1 on a Dell
    > Inspiron 5000e laptop. I've got a Synaptics touchpad, which I don't
    > like using, and a PS2 mouse. I can't get the PS2 mouse to work at
    > all. And I don't know how to disable the touchpad single left click.
    > Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations on a distro for this
    > laptop, for a Linux beginner?

    SUSE Linux 9.x I am using 9.1. It comes with books, free help support on
    installation and configuration backed by Novell and the whole nine yards.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 28, 2005

  3. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    >icewhain <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm fairly new to Linux, and am trying out Mandrake 10.1 on a Dell
    >> Inspiron 5000e laptop. I've got a Synaptics touchpad, which I don't
    >> like using, and a PS2 mouse. I can't get the PS2 mouse to work at
    >> all. And I don't know how to disable the touchpad single left click.
    >> Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations on a distro for this
    >> laptop, for a Linux beginner?
    >>

    >SUSE Linux 9.x I am using 9.1. It comes with books, free help support on
    >installation and configuration backed by Novell and the whole nine yards.
    >
    >Duane :)

    I tried out SuSE 9.2 Live DVD... it won't boot, doesn't get past
    detecting PCMCIA. Then when halting the system at that point, can't
    unload the sound driver, and needs to be shut down manually (holding
    the on/off switch down). I can't imagine 9.2 to be less compatible
    than 9.1.
    icewhain, Jan 29, 2005
  4. icewhain

    Duane Arnold Guest

    icewhain wrote:

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote:
    >
    >>icewhain <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I'm fairly new to Linux, and am trying out Mandrake 10.1 on a Dell
    >>> Inspiron 5000e laptop. I've got a Synaptics touchpad, which I don't
    >>> like using, and a PS2 mouse. I can't get the PS2 mouse to work at
    >>> all. And I don't know how to disable the touchpad single left click.
    >>> Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations on a distro for this
    >>> laptop, for a Linux beginner?
    >>>

    >>SUSE Linux 9.x I am using 9.1. It comes with books, free help support on
    >>installation and configuration backed by Novell and the whole nine yards.
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > I tried out SuSE 9.2 Live DVD... it won't boot, doesn't get past
    > detecting PCMCIA. Then when halting the system at that point, can't
    > unload the sound driver, and needs to be shut down manually (holding
    > the on/off switch down). I can't imagine 9.2 to be less compatible
    > than 9.1.

    I went down to Best Buy and brought the 9.1 install CD package set and it
    went like a champ -- no muss no fuss. I would suspect that if I went to
    Best Buy and brought the 9.2 install package CD set it would go like a
    champ too. I called them on the phone twice for some support and had no
    problems. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 29, 2005
  5. icewhain

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You can *Red Pin* me on the *you*. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 29, 2005
  6. icewhain

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Onideus Mad Hatter <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >

    >> Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?

    With (no chance) leading?

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 29, 2005
  7. icewhain

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Onideus Mad Hatter <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >

    >> My mom held my hand while they did it.

    BYE BYE -- take care of yourself now ya hear!

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 29, 2005

    Tasty raw giblets, Jan 29, 2005
  9. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    >I went down to Best Buy and brought the 9.1 install CD package set and it
    >went like a champ -- no muss no fuss. I would suspect that if I went to
    >Best Buy and brought the 9.2 install package CD set it would go like a
    >champ too. I called them on the phone twice for some support and had no
    >problems. ;-)

    I think the problem was with my ethernet card, it a 3com card, I don't
    think the free version of SuSE has the driver for it. I gave up on
    Mandrake 10.1, after editing the xorg.conf file for a ps2 mouse, and
    not being able to start X afterwards. They've made it difficult for
    someone new to Linux. Fedora works well. Installed smoothly,
    everything works.
    icewhain, Jan 31, 2005
  10. icewhain

    Duane Arnold Guest

    icewhain <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote:
    >
    >>I went down to Best Buy and brought the 9.1 install CD package set and it
    >>went like a champ -- no muss no fuss. I would suspect that if I went to
    >>Best Buy and brought the 9.2 install package CD set it would go like a
    >>champ too. I called them on the phone twice for some support and had no
    >>problems. ;-)

    > I think the problem was with my ethernet card, it a 3com card, I don't
    > think the free version of SuSE has the driver for it. I gave up on
    > Mandrake 10.1, after editing the xorg.conf file for a ps2 mouse, and
    > not being able to start X afterwards. They've made it difficult for
    > someone new to Linux. Fedora works well. Installed smoothly,
    > everything works.

    As long as it works for you is all that counts.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 31, 2005