Linux/Mac/Windows... apparently it doesnt matter.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 3, 2005

  3. "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    news:ctuusd$2ep$...
    > In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21065
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > Having seen the test results before they became subscription-only, I
    > found the veiled dig at how little MS provides rather amusing,
    > particularly since their OS was also the most expensive by quite some
    > margin.
    > For those who didn't see it, Windows XP was the only OS unable to open
    > an Excel spreadsheet. All others were supplied with software capable of
    > viewing it. Which makes the price of XP seem even more unreasonable.
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    > "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    > I came, I saw, I stuck around"
    >
    > My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Please explain to me how Linux can open an Excel spreadsheet

    Brett Roberts, Feb 4, 2005
  4. "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21065
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > Having seen the test results before they became subscription-only, I
    > found the veiled dig at how little MS provides rather amusing,
    > particularly since their OS was also the most expensive by quite some
    > margin.
    > For those who didn't see it, Windows XP was the only OS unable to open
    > an Excel spreadsheet. All others were supplied with software capable of
    > viewing it. Which makes the price of XP seem even more unreasonable.
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    > "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    > I came, I saw, I stuck around"
    >
    > My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    And there is a no-cost (other than time and bandwidth) Excel viewer
    available at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Peter Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:

    > Please explain to me how Linux can open an Excel spreadsheet

    Most Linux distros come with an app that can open xls files, eg OpenOffice.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axel Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Brett Roberts wrote:
    >
    >>Please explain to me how Linux can open an Excel spreadsheet

    > Most Linux distros come with an app that can open xls files, eg OpenOffice.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    Either way you can download and use openoffice or get it on CD.

    Axel, Feb 4, 2005

    Matthew Poole, Feb 4, 2005
  8. In article <420300a7$>, "Brett Roberts" <> wrote:
    >"Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    >> an Excel spreadsheet. All others were supplied with software capable of
    >> viewing it. Which makes the price of XP seem even more unreasonable.

    >Please explain to me how Linux can open an Excel spreadsheet

    Gnumeric and OpenOffice, to name but two applications that are capable
    of opening Excel documents. I didn't say Linux itself could, I said it
    was supplied with software that could.
    And your Excel Viewer doesn't allow one to edit the spreadsheet.

    Matthew Poole, Feb 4, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axel Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    > In article <>, Axel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >
    >>Either way you can download and use openoffice or get it on CD.
    >>

    > In this particular instance, it had to be an application that was
    > supplied in the same box as the OS.

    Sounds like an arbitrary tilt of the the playing field.
    Its crossplatform freeware, how neutral can you get ?

    Axel, Feb 4, 2005
  10. In article <>, Axel <> wrote:
    >Peter wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >Either way you can download and use openoffice or get it on CD.

    In this particular instance, it had to be an application that was
    supplied in the same box as the OS.
    So, once again, we see that XP is horrendously over-priced when one
    considers what comes with it.
    Before Brett starts up the "backing" record, we've established that MS
    take precisely zero responsibility for any flaws in the software -
    making people no better off than they are with OSS, and considerably
    poorer to boot.

    Matthew Poole, Feb 4, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Peter Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > Is it so unreasonable to expect that something costing $200 more than
    > the next-closest (and also proprietary) OS would be capable of such a
    > thing?

    They get more $$$ out of the customers by selling the apps separately.
    Which do you think is more important; making more money or looking after
    your customers?

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 4, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    C9H8O4 Guest

    > In article <>, Axel <> wrote:
    >>Matthew Poole wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >>> In this particular instance, it had to be an application that was
    >>> supplied in the same box as the OS.

    >>Sounds like an arbitrary tilt of the the playing field.
    >>Its crossplatform freeware, how neutral can you get ?
    >>

    > Why is it arbitrary? They applied the same test to four Linux distros,
    > MacOS X and WinXP. XP was the only one that couldn't open a spreadsheet
    > generated by software written by its parent company.
    > Is it so unreasonable to expect that something costing $200 more than
    > the next-closest (and also proprietary) OS would be capable of such a
    > thing?
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    > "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    > I came, I saw, I stuck around"
    >
    > My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Where does the $200 figure come from ?

    C9H8O4, Feb 4, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    froggy Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:00:19 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:
    >> Is it so unreasonable to expect that something costing $200 more than
    >> the next-closest (and also proprietary) OS would be capable of such a
    >> thing?

    > They get more $$$ out of the customers by selling the apps separately.
    > Which do you think is more important; making more money or looking after
    > your customers?
    >

    > Peter

    depends if the customers have the option of changeing who they do business
    with

    froggy, Feb 4, 2005

    Matthew Poole, Feb 4, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote:

    >"Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21065
    >>>

    >> *SNIP*
    >>
    >> Having seen the test results before they became subscription-only, I
    >> found the veiled dig at how little MS provides rather amusing,
    >> particularly since their OS was also the most expensive by quite some
    >> margin.
    >> For those who didn't see it, Windows XP was the only OS unable to open
    >> an Excel spreadsheet. All others were supplied with software capable of
    >> viewing it. Which makes the price of XP seem even more unreasonable.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    >> "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    >> I came, I saw, I stuck around"
    >>
    >> My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    >And there is a no-cost (other than time and bandwidth) Excel viewer
    >available at:
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b54
    >7-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

    Why doesn't it come in the box?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 4, 2005
  16. In article <ZbFMd.14857$>, "C9H8O4" <> wrote:
    >"Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    >Where does the $200 figure come from ?

    The prices quoted in the original article. OSX was, IIRC, $350, and XP
    was > $550 (I think it was nearly $600).
    None of the Linux distros broke the $300 mark.

    Matthew Poole, Feb 4, 2005
  17. YAnewswatcher, Feb 4, 2005
  18. Suddenly, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro sprang forth and uttered these pithy
    words:
    > >And there is a no-cost (other than time and bandwidth) Excel viewer
    > >available at:
    > >
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b54
    > >7-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

    > Why doesn't it come in the box?

    Hm, now that's a very good point... after all everything else is in
    there :p

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Feb 4, 2005
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    MarkH Guest

    (Matthew Poole) wrote in news:ctv1eb$2qo$:

    > In article <>, Axel <> wrote:
    >>Peter wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >>Either way you can download and use openoffice or get it on CD.
    >>

    > In this particular instance, it had to be an application that was
    > supplied in the same box as the OS.
    > So, once again, we see that XP is horrendously over-priced when one
    > considers what comes with it.
    > Before Brett starts up the "backing" record, we've established that MS
    > take precisely zero responsibility for any flaws in the software -
    > making people no better off than they are with OSS, and considerably
    > poorer to boot.

    Couldn't you simply install Openoffice.org onto WinXP?

    Also the price of WinXP does vary a bit, you can get it for around NZ$200
    within the price of a new PC. So if you buy a new PC with WinXP and
    install Openoffice.org then you are not really that much poorer are you?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)

    MarkH, Feb 4, 2005
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    froggy Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:29:38 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    > (Matthew Poole) wrote in news:ctv1eb$2qo$:
    >
    >> In article <>, Axel <> wrote:
    >>>Peter wrote:

    >> *SNIP*
    >>>Either way you can download and use openoffice or get it on CD.
    >>>

    >> In this particular instance, it had to be an application that was
    >> supplied in the same box as the OS.
    >> So, once again, we see that XP is horrendously over-priced when one
    >> considers what comes with it.
    >> Before Brett starts up the "backing" record, we've established that MS
    >> take precisely zero responsibility for any flaws in the software -
    >> making people no better off than they are with OSS, and considerably
    >> poorer to boot.

    > Couldn't you simply install Openoffice.org onto WinXP?
    >
    > Also the price of WinXP does vary a bit, you can get it for around NZ$200
    > within the price of a new PC. So if you buy a new PC with WinXP and
    > install Openoffice.org then you are not really that much poorer are you?

    forgive me if I'm seeing this wrong... but werent the tests based on 'out
    of the box' conditions
    also.. is it more than a bit ironic that you are suggesting installing a
    competitors piece of software to level the playing field?

    froggy, Feb 4, 2005