    to music, watching video, and web surfing.

    And all for US$298 (NZ$375).

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...t-pc-features-openoffice-org-no-crapware.html

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 22, 2007

  2. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    The specific model of processor used in this system is the ROHS compliant
    VIA C7-D Esther processor, which Everex on their site state consumes "20W
    peak power (2W average)"

    http://www.everex.com/gc3502/index.htm

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 22, 2007

  3. Mickey Mouse

    Malcolm Guest

    Re: Linux Liars Exposed: C7 powered, no crapware, Vista based

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:43:19 +1200
    "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote:

    > Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther
    > processor, the Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system
    > is quite capable of being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB
    > of DDR-2 SDRAM, an 80GB hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics
    > and no crapware, such a system would be quite a capable performer for
    > word processing, e-mailing, listening to music, watching video, and
    > web surfing.
    >
    > And all for US$298 (NZ$375).
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...t-pc-features-openoffice-org-no-crapware.html

    Hi
    I''l bite ;-)

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5673669

    Not sure how much power the 17" LCD monitor draws?.... all for $348 +7%
    tax here in Mississippi.

    Hmmm and Norton Internet Security 2007 isn't crapware??

    Think I stick with my M10000 running off a flash drive (no hard drive)
    at least it runs at 1GHz and not 400Mhz for the above system...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm, Jul 22, 2007
  4. Re: Linux Liars Exposed: C7 powered, no crapware, Vista based

    In <> Malcolm wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:43:19 +1200
    > "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther
    >> processor, the Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system
    >> is quite capable of being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB
    >> of DDR-2 SDRAM, an 80GB hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics
    >> and no crapware, such a system would be quite a capable performer for
    >> word processing, e-mailing, listening to music, watching video, and
    >> web surfing.
    >>=20
    >> And all for US$298 (NZ$375).
    >>=20
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070718-298-wal-mart-pc-
    >> features-op=

    > enoffice-org-no-crapware.html=20
    >>=20

    > Hi
    > I''l bite ;-)
    >
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3D5673669
    >
    > Not sure how much power the 17" LCD monitor draws?.... all for $348 +7%
    > tax here in Mississippi.

    Your link got muntered.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5673669

    The monitor is a 17" CRT, not an LCD. There goes any power saving the
    CPU would have made!

    > Hmmm and Norton Internet Security 2007 isn't crapware??
    >
    > Think I stick with my M10000 running off a flash drive (no hard drive)
    > at least it runs at 1GHz and not 400Mhz for the above system...

    I don't know what the 400 MHz on the web page refers to, but the CPU in
    the PC runs at 1.5 GHz.

    Something that surprises me is that they're trying to save every dollar
    they can, yet the PC still includes parallel printer and PS/2 ports. I
    would have expected those to disappear from cheap PCs at least five
    years ago.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 22, 2007
  5. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    >"Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    >On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:43:19 +1200

    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5673669
    >
    > Not sure how much power the 17" LCD monitor draws?.... all for $348 +7%
    > tax here in Mississippi.

    Different package - the one listed at $298 comes with 1GB RAM and no
    monitor - you get to choose one to suit your needs (or eco-requirements).

    See: http://www.everex.com/gc3502/index.htm

    > Hmmm and Norton Internet Security 2007 isn't crapware??

    It certainly wouldn't be remaining on any system I purchased, but for
    general home users it offers basic AV monitoring until they find a more
    suitable alternative.

    > Think I stick with my M10000 running off a flash drive (no hard drive)
    > at least it runs at 1GHz and not 400Mhz for the above system...

    The CPU runs at 1.5GHz - the 400MHz is for the FSB.

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 22, 2007
  6. Mickey Mouse

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 22, 1:43 pm, "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote:
    > Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther processor, the
    > Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system is quite capable of
    > being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB of DDR-2 SDRAM, an 80GB
    > hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics and no crapware, such a system
    > would be quite a capable performer for word processing, e-mailing, listening
    > to music, watching video, and web surfing.
    >
    > And all for US$298 (NZ$375).
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070718-298-wal-mart-pc-feature...

    Agreed that this is possible.

    This is not however the main environmental concern.

    The main concern is that a lot of hardware is going to be prematurely
    trashed through forced obsolesence despite it being quite capable of
    meeting the majority's continuing computing needs. In other words XP
    should remain readily available to purchase and properly supported for
    the next several years at least. There are many customers out there
    who want to continue with XP but have misgivings about Vista.
    Microsoft should therefore give the customers what they want.

    peterwn, Jul 22, 2007
  7. Mickey Mouse

    Gordon Guest

    Re: Linux Liars Exposed: C7 powered, no crapware, Vista based

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:43:19 +1200, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther processor,
    > the Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system is quite
    > capable of being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB of DDR-2
    > SDRAM, an 80GB hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics and no
    > crapware, such a system would be quite a capable performer for word
    > processing, e-mailing, listening to music, watching video, and web
    > surfing.
    >
    > And all for US$298 (NZ$375).
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070718-298-wal-mart-pc-features-

    openoffice-org-no-crapware.html

    So back to the header. care to give use some thoughts on the matter?

    Gordon, Jul 22, 2007