Linux -kubuntu first impressions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Zipper, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    I've been using windows since 3.11 and you could say I am very happy
    with windows xp, i don't think I am bias towards it, its just that it
    does everything i need and also has software that i have to use that
    isnt available on *nix. I try *nix out every so often just to see how
    it compares ocasionally, it seems to be getting very nice lately but
    still seems to have some issues....

    So I decided it was time to try linux again, I have tried Fedora a few
    times but always found it quite buggy with various things going wrong
    and that has put me off.

    I decided this time to go for Kubuntu, I did a google for comparisons of
    KDE and Gnome and KDE seemed to have the edge over Gnome on the pages I
    read so went for Kubuntu over Ubuntu.

    Anyway I was pleaantly surprised at how nice it was and it has
    everything your average user would need. I am going to be setting up a
    pc for my mother and this seems to have everything she would need out of
    the box.

    I did add Opera which was very easy to add and in my own opinion is
    nicer than firefox.

    Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up Kaffeine?
    and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so the same
    would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie.. yet..
    Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which installs
    every codec under the sun.

    I had to google around and then found that certain linux distros dont
    have support for various codecs in their xine package because of
    copyright problems. I went to the xine website..

    So now things start getting far more complex than should be necessary
    and where your average user would give up and go back to windows..

    I have to download the xine lib to get full support..
    I then have to unarchive it..
    I then have to read the INSTALL documentation
    which requires compiling the libraries.. so I follow that through..
    oh dead, no compilter installed on this distro. so then I have to get
    gcc installed..

    This is just far too much work isn't it, an average user would have no
    change of watching a divx/xvid movie..

    OR... have I missed a far easier way of doing things?
    If I have please tell me because I would like to think there is an
    easier way...

    I also coudlnt find a way to change the screen resolution? I looked
    under all the display settings and could find everything but this oh and
    also colour depth, couldnt find that also.. maybe im just blind...

    Apart from that i'm pretty impressed with Kubuntu

    Zipper, Oct 13, 2006

  2. In message <45300409$>, Zipper wrote:

    > Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up Kaffeine?
    > and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so the same
    > would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie.. yet..
    > Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which installs
    > every codec under the sun.

    Did you look for the EasyUbuntu installer?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Zipper

    Earl Grey Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    <snip>

    > Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up Kaffeine?
    > and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so the same
    > would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie.. yet..
    > Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which installs
    > every codec under the sun.

    With Ubuntu you load all this stuff by running automatix

    http://www.getautomatix.com/

    The work has already been done for you.

    Earl Grey, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up
    >> Kaffeine? and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so
    >> the same would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie..
    >> yet..
    >> Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which installs
    >> every codec under the sun.
    >>

    > With Ubuntu you load all this stuff by running automatix
    >
    > http://www.getautomatix.com/
    >
    > The work has already been done for you.

    Yeah that is the way!, thanks for that.

    If they included that in the distro the distro would be 100 times better
    than it currently is.

    Zipper, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <45300409$>, Zipper wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up Kaffeine?
    >> and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so the same
    >> would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie.. yet..
    >> Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which installs
    >> every codec under the sun.

    > Did you look for the EasyUbuntu installer?

    I'll check that out.

    thanks

    Zipper, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Zipper

    Shane Guest

    Zipper wrote:

    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> Zipper wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up
    >>> Kaffeine? and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so
    >>> the same would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie..
    >>> yet..
    >>> Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which installs
    >>> every codec under the sun.
    >>>

    >> With Ubuntu you load all this stuff by running automatix
    >>
    >> http://www.getautomatix.com/
    >>
    >> The work has already been done for you.

    > Yeah that is the way!, thanks for that.
    >
    > If they included that in the distro the distro would be 100 times better
    > than it currently is.

    They cant, or wont, because of Patent Law on certain codecs

    --
    Fry: Michelle, I don't regret this, but I both rue and lament it.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Oct 14, 2006
  7. Zipper

    Earl Grey Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> Zipper wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up
    >>> Kaffeine? and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so
    >>> the same would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie..
    >>> yet..
    >>> Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which
    >>> installs every codec under the sun.
    >>>

    >> With Ubuntu you load all this stuff by running automatix
    >>
    >> http://www.getautomatix.com/
    >>
    >> The work has already been done for you.

    > Yeah that is the way!, thanks for that.
    >
    > If they included that in the distro the distro would be 100 times better
    > than it currently is.

    Then it wouldn't be free.

    Earl Grey, Oct 14, 2006
  8. In message <>, Earl Grey wrote:

    > Zipper wrote:
    >> Earl Grey wrote:
    >>> Zipper wrote:
    >>> <snip>

    >>> With Ubuntu you load all this stuff by running automatix
    >>>
    >>> http://www.getautomatix.com/
    >>>
    >>> The work has already been done for you.

    >> Yeah that is the way!, thanks for that.
    >>
    >> If they included that in the distro the distro would be 100 times better
    >> than it currently is.
    >>

    > Then it wouldn't be free.

    In either sense. It costs money for the licence fees, and they're done on a
    royalty basis, so you have to keep track of how many copies you've
    distributed, and pay a fee for each one. So you can no longer provide the
    software free of charge, or free to distribute.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2006
  9. Zipper

    Earl Grey Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> Zipper wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up
    >>> Kaffeine? and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so
    >>> the same would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie..
    >>> yet..
    >>> Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which
    >>> installs every codec under the sun.
    >>>

    >> With Ubuntu you load all this stuff by running automatix
    >>
    >> http://www.getautomatix.com/
    >>
    >> The work has already been done for you.

    > Yeah that is the way!, thanks for that.
    >
    > If they included that in the distro the distro would be 100 times better
    > than it currently is.

    They are included in the distribution, just not on the install disk.
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_install_Multimedia_Codecs

    Earl Grey, Oct 14, 2006
  10. Zipper

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:17:32 +1300, Zipper wrote:

    > OR... have I missed a far easier way of doing things?

    Install the Distro OpenSuSE 10.0.

    Uninstall Xine and Kaffeine - but not anything dependant on them.

    Then go to http://packman.links2linux.org/

    Locate both Xine and Kaffeine. Download them all the things that they
    depend on.

    Install them, and anything that those dependancies are themselves
    dependant on.

    Mission accomplished.

    Packman is an excellent site for all sorts of multimedia stuff.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."

    MaHogany, Oct 14, 2006
  11. Zipper

    MarkH Guest

    Zipper <> wrote in news:45300409$:

    > Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up Kaffeine?
    > and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so the same
    > would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie.. yet..
    > Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which installs
    > every codec under the sun.

    This reminds me of someone running an AVI file under windows and seeing the
    "downloading codecs" message - then the error and the file wont play.

    In my experience installing every codec under the sun is a bad idea, on
    more than one occasion something has broken after installing a codec
    package. Also: media player sucks!

    My solution:

    Under Windows - install MPlayer and/or VLC

    Under Linux - install MPlayer and/or VLC (let the package manager add any
    codecs required automatically and it will work fine)

    On my Windows box I find that I don’t like IE, OE, Explorer, Media Player,
    Backup, CD/DVD writing and several other things as well. Luckily there are
    some excellent replacements out there to make Windows work much better -
    often these are just the Windows versions of what a lot of people run on
    Linux (like Firefox, MPlayer and VLC).

    There are also issues related to restrictions on WinXP Home which can
    sometimes be solved by switching to Linux. i.e. WinXP Home has a
    restriction on concurrent network connections, but Linux is free and can
    accept a lot more than 5 or 10 concurrent connections.

    I like WinXP for its ability to play all the latest games without hassle,
    but I like Linux on my file server and my CD/DVD writing PC - good price
    and good functionality.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 14, 2006
  12. Zipper

    steve Guest

    Zipper wrote:

    > Anyway, I decided to play a Xvid movie. oh dear.. It loaded up Kaffeine?
    > and then told me I didn't have the required plugins. Ok so the same
    > would happen on windows under a fresh install so no biggie.. yet..
    > Under Windows I would download the k-lite codec package which installs
    > every codec under the sun.
    >
    > I had to google around and then found that certain linux distros dont
    > have support for various codecs in their xine package because of
    > copyright problems. I went to the xine website..

    Agreed.....thought it is important to understand this isn't a Linux
    limitation....It's a legal one.

    If you want a Linux that supports patented mpeg and other media stuff out of
    the box, than you want Xandros or similar.

    Even then, you'll have to download and install the 'win32codecs' package
    from the mplayer web sites in Hungary (or somewhere else) to able to access
    media files that use Microsoft's proprietary video formats.

    Which only serves to underscore how important truly OPEN technologies are.

    I'd like to see a popular video and audio and streaming solution that wasn't
    encumbered by legal issues around ownership....

    How would we drive cars if someone owned the concept of the wheel?

    That's how silly some of this stuff is in new areas of radpidly advancing
    technology.....encumbered by laws that restrict re-use / re-cycling of
    ideas / inventions for generations.

    steve, Oct 15, 2006