Linux (Kubuntu) - Adept Error That I Don't Know How To Fix

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 10, 2008.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I am using Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon), upgraded (if that is relevant)
    from 7.04 (Feisty Fawn).

    When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
    Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean, cold
    boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:

    Database Locked - Adept Installer
    Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some
    other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

    If I click on 'Yes' (I want to try to resolve the problem), I am
    immediately in over my head!

    Anyone have any ideas or suggestion on where to from here??

    Thanks,

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 10, 2008

  2. Alan

    peter Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
    > Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean, cold
    > boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
    > Database Locked - Adept Installer
    > Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some
    > other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

    In a konsole, run this command ...
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

    Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it got
    interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the repository
    server or somewhere.

    BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should also
    try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
    (search on the error message).

    HTH

    Peter
    peter, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
    >> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean,
    >> cold
    >> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
    >> Database Locked - Adept Installer
    >> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably
    >> some
    >> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

    > In a konsole, run this command ...
    > sudo dpkg --configure -a

    Thanks for that - What does that command do? (I am learning as fast as
    I can.....)

    > Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it
    > got
    > interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the
    > repository
    > server or somewhere.

    Is it interesting / unexpected that such a lock survives a reboot
    though?

    > BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should
    > also
    > try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
    > (search on the error message).

    I beg to differ - you are here with me now!

    However, I take your point, and will post there in future - perhaps in
    addition to here ;-)

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Mar 10, 2008
  4. Alan wrote:
    > "peter" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
    >>> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean,
    >>> cold
    >>> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
    >>> Database Locked - Adept Installer
    >>> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably
    >>> some
    >>> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

    >> In a konsole, run this command ...
    >> sudo dpkg --configure -a

    Configures all the packages that are installed but not configured. It sometimes
    needs to be done if the package manager is interrupted.

    > Thanks for that - What does that command do? (I am learning as fast as
    > I can.....)
    >
    >> Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it
    >> got
    >> interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the
    >> repository
    >> server or somewhere.
    >>

    > Is it interesting / unexpected that such a lock survives a reboot
    > though?

    I wouldn't be surprised if it updates the package indices and then perhaps
    downloads the packages needing upgrading in the background on reboot.

    you might find clues in /var/log/apt

    or use 'ps auxf' to look at the list of running processes

    or use 'lsof | apt' to look for processes using relevant files

    Mark Robinson, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> "peter" <> wrote in message
    >>> In a konsole, run this command ...
    >>> sudo dpkg --configure -a

    > Configures all the packages that are installed but not configured.
    > It sometimes
    > needs to be done if the package manager is interrupted.
    >
    >> Thanks for that - What does that command do? (I am learning as fast
    >> as
    >> I can.....)
    >>
    >>> Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps
    >>> it
    >>> got
    >>> interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the
    >>> repository
    >>> server or somewhere.
    >>>

    >> Is it interesting / unexpected that such a lock survives a reboot
    >> though?

    > I wouldn't be surprised if it updates the package indices and then
    > perhaps
    > downloads the packages needing upgrading in the background on
    > reboot.
    >
    > you might find clues in /var/log/apt
    >
    > or use 'ps auxf' to look at the list of running processes
    >
    > or use 'lsof | apt' to look for processes using relevant files
    >

    >>> BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You
    >>> should
    >>> also
    >>> try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search
    >>> engine
    >>> (search on the error message).
    >>>

    >> I beg to differ - you are here with me now!
    >>
    >> However, I take your point, and will post there in future - perhaps
    >> in
    >> addition to here ;-)
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alan.

    Cool - Thanx for that Mark.

    I am always interested in learning more about how it all fits together
    and works.

    Alan, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
    >> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean,
    >> cold
    >> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
    >> Database Locked - Adept Installer
    >> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably
    >> some
    >> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

    > In a konsole, run this command ...
    > sudo dpkg --configure -a
    >
    > Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it
    > got
    > interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the
    > repository
    > server or somewhere.
    >
    > BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should
    > also
    > try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
    > (search on the error message).
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    Hi Peter,

    That seems to have fixed it.

    A big 'THANX' to you.

    Regards,

    Alan, Mar 10, 2008
  7. In article <fr4cs9$mpv$>, Alan did write:

    > I am always interested in learning more about how it all fits together
    > and works.

    In that case, you might be interested in the "man" (manual) pages that are
    the traditional *nix reference material, particularly for command-line
    programs. Open up a terminal window, type

    man dpkg

    and you will find concise (not to say cryptic) explanations
    of "dpkg --configure -a" and all the other fun things you can do with dpkg.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 10, 2008
  8. In article <1205171729.384921@ftpsrv1>, peter <> wrote:
    >Alan wrote:
    >> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
    >> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean, cold
    >> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
    >> Database Locked - Adept Installer
    >> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some
    >> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

    >In a konsole, run this command ...
    > sudo dpkg --configure -a
    >
    >Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it got
    >interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the repository
    >server or somewhere.
    >
    >BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should also
    >try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
    >(search on the error message).

    ... or try the group alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 11, 2008
  9. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Cool - thanks!

    --

    Alan.
    Alan, Mar 11, 2008
  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    wrote in message news:fr4f23$sjb$...

    > .. or try the group alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    I am now subscribed to that group.

    NNTP is much better than this new fangled web thang!

    Alan, Mar 11, 2008
  11. Alan

    Lodi Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:45:42 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    > wrote in message news:fr4f23$sjb$...
    >>
    >> .. or try the group alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    >>

    > I am now subscribed to that group.
    >
    > NNTP is much better than this new fangled web thang!

    Hi Alan....Seriously. Use the web thing if you want Ubuntu advice.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/

    The "Absolute Beginners Talk" forum should be bookmarked. There are some
    unbelievably clever people hanging out in that forum explaining things
    for we newbies.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Mar 11, 2008
  12. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Lodi" <> wrote in message news:fr50sb$e6b$...
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:45:42 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> "Bruce Sinclair"
    >> <>
    >> wrote in message news:fr4f23$sjb$...
    >>>
    >>> .. or try the group alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    >>>

    >> I am now subscribed to that group.
    >>
    >> NNTP is much better than this new fangled web thang!

    > Hi Alan....Seriously. Use the web thing if you want Ubuntu advice.
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/
    >
    > The "Absolute Beginners Talk" forum should be bookmarked. There are
    > some
    > unbelievably clever people hanging out in that forum explaining
    > things
    > for we newbies.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Okay - I'll do that.

    I have registered, so I am almost on the 'inside' now!

    Alan, Mar 11, 2008
  13. Alan

    peter Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "peter" <> wrote in message
    >> In a konsole, run this command ...
    >> sudo dpkg --configure -a

    > Thanks for that - What does that command do? (I am learning as fast as
    > I can.....)

    Excellent question. Always think about what you are doing, especially when
    evoking root privileges (which is what sudo does in the above command).
    You can use the man function at a command line ...
    man sudo
    man dpkg
    The man pages are very concise, but quick and accurate.
    Be cautious with stuff out on the net. Although 99% of the advice out there
    is good, there are some evil little sods who seek to trick folk into
    running dangerous commands (like rm * which deletes everything).

    >> BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should
    >> also try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search
    >> engine (search on the error message).

    > I beg to differ - you are here with me now!
    > However, I take your point, and will post there in future - perhaps in
    > addition to here ;-)

    I find searching forums or the web to be the best bet in most cases.

    If you want to learn more, try these links ...
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/
    http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
    http://linuxmafia.com/kb/
    http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
    http://wiki.linux.net.nz/

    HTH

    Peter
    peter, Mar 11, 2008
  14. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Thanks Peter.

    Bit of reading for me :)

    Alan, Mar 12, 2008
  15. Alan

    Biggles^^ Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:10:20 +1300, Alan wrote:

    >> In a konsole, run this command ...
    >> sudo dpkg --configure -a
    >>

    >> BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should
    >> also
    >> try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
    >> (search on the error message).
    >>

    > Alan.

    They dont want you to post here because your post destroys the myth that
    linux users never need the CLI <cough>

    or that a linux package database ever shits itself .

    biggless
    Biggles^^, Mar 12, 2008
  16. In article <fr90ti$t6p$>, Biggles^^ did write:

    > They dont want you to post here because your post destroys the myth that
    > linux users never need the CLI <cough>
    >
    > or that a linux package database ever shits itself .

    You're a little bit late with your delusional ravings. The OP has already
    been helped. And he was able to solve his problem without resorting to
    anything resembling fiddly Dimdows Registry edits, or having to do a
    reinstall. Or even a reboot, for that matter.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 12, 2008
  17. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:fr9o0a$75r$...
    > In article <fr90ti$t6p$>, Biggles^^ did write:
    >
    >> They dont want you to post here because your post destroys the myth
    >> that
    >> linux users never need the CLI <cough>
    >>
    >> or that a linux package database ever shits itself .

    > You're a little bit late with your delusional ravings. The OP has
    > already
    > been helped. And he was able to solve his problem without resorting
    > anything resembling fiddly Dimdows Registry edits, or having to do a
    > reinstall. Or even a reboot, for that matter.

    {Erk!}

    I *did* reboot many times, but then I have been using Windows for a
    long time!

    Alan, Mar 13, 2008
  18. In article <fr9ver$9b7$>, Alan did write:

    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:fr9o0a$75r$...
    >
    >> Or even a reboot, for that matter.

    > I *did* reboot many times, but then I have been using Windows for a long
    > time!

    Force of habit, I understand. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 13, 2008
  19. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:fraadc$i4k$...
    > In article <fr9ver$9b7$>, Alan did write:
    >
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> message news:fr9o0a$75r$...
    >>
    >>> Or even a reboot, for that matter.

    >> I *did* reboot many times, but then I have been using Windows for a
    >> long
    >> time!

    > Force of habit, I understand. :)

    Indeed.

    What *really* threw me was when the reboot didn't just fix everything
    up completely!

    Hence my shock that the adept package manager was still holding
    something open:

    > Another process is using the packaging system
    > database (probably some other Adept application
    > or apt-get or aptitude).

    Bit of a culture shock to get over, but I'll get there!

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 13, 2008
  20. In article <frac94$apf$>, Alan did write:

    > What *really* threw me was when the reboot didn't just fix everything
    > up completely!

    It's very rare for reboots to be required on Linux systems.

    > Hence my shock that the adept package manager was still holding
    > something open:

    It wasn't Adept as such, it was an inconsistency in the underlying dpkg
    system, where some packages had been partially installed but not completely
    configured. Adept is just a GUI front-end. It quite possibly even had an
    option to resolve such inconsistencies without resorting to the command
    line.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 13, 2008