Linux kernel 2.6.0 is now out

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Dec 18, 2003

  2. steve

    Jay Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Another great step forward.
    >
    > http://kernel.org/

    You are at least a month behind the times.

    Jay, Dec 18, 2003

  3. steve

    Matthias Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > You are at least a month behind the times.

    No, he's not.

    -- Matthias

    Matthias, Dec 18, 2003
  4. steve

    harry Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >

    >> Another great step forward.
    >>
    >> http://kernel.org/

    > You are at least a month behind the times.

    Desperate to score points huh ?
    steve is correct about the official final release.

    harry, Dec 18, 2003
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:58:27 +1100, Jay wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >

    >> Another great step forward.
    >>
    >> http://kernel.org/

    > You are at least a month behind the times.

    No.

    2.6.0 (non-test) was released yesterday....

    steve, Dec 18, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >Another great step forward.
    >
    >http://kernel.org/

    The thing that worries me is I hear some kernel folks want to stop
    maintaining 2.4.x within a matter of months, and move everybody to
    2.6.x. Me, somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 20, 2003
  7. steve

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:38:33 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > The thing that worries me is I hear some kernel folks want to stop
    > maintaining 2.4.x within a matter of months, and move everybody to 2.6.x.
    > Me, somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

    Why?

    Lennier

    Lennier, Dec 20, 2003
  8. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    >>The thing that worries me is I hear some kernel folks want to stop
    >>maintaining 2.4.x within a matter of months, and move everybody to 2.6.x.
    >>Me, somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

    > Why?

    I'd imagine to cut down on resources needed to manage the different
    Kernels etc.

    T.N.O., Dec 20, 2003
  9. steve

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:26:12 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > I'd imagine to cut down on resources needed to manage the different
    > Kernels etc.

    I've just updated to the 2.6 kernel.

    So far it is working well - and the machine appears to be running faster.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Dec 20, 2003
  10. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > I've just updated to the 2.6 kernel.
    > So far it is working well - and the machine appears to be running faster.

    sweet... thats all good.

    T.N.O., Dec 20, 2003