Linux just not picking up...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Apr 10, 2010.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Shame really, I think the Ubuntu 10.04 beta is excellent.

    copied...

    Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware

    Desktop Linux losing application support from Songbird

    "Despite all the efforts of Canonical and Ubuntu, desktop Linux remains
    non-factor n the market.

    Fewer than 1 in 100 desktops in the U.S. run Linux, and most are in the
    hands of developers, not consumers.

    Application developers who want to support Linux are now getting the
    message and, reluctantly, dropping their support of consumer desktop
    applications.

    On its blog, Songbird developer George Auberger called the decision to
    drop Linux support from the open source music player ?painful.?

    Some of you may wonder how a company with deep roots in Open Source
    could
    drop Linux and we want you to know it isn?t without heartache.? We have
    small engineering team here at Songbird, and, more than ever, must stay
    very focused on a narrow set of priorities. Trying to deliver a raft of
    new features around all media types, and across a growing list of
    devices, we had to make some tough choices.

    Some analysts will be quick to call this the death knell of Linux
    outside
    the server, and when it comes to the traditional desktop ? keyboard, big
    TV, mouse on the counter, box under the desk ? they may well be right.

    But Android phones run Linux. Chromium netbooks will run Linux. Meego
    phones are Linux. Handheld Linux is going strong, and those applications
    will filter into other types of devices over time.

    It?s not just the dream of desktop Linux that?s ending. It?s the desktop
    era."

    http://moourl.com/1lpy8

    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6216
    &utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%
    2Fopen-
    source+%28ZDNet+Open+Source%29>

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Apr 10, 2010

  2. Dave Doe

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:02:20 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > Desktop Linux losing application support from Songbird

    What is Songbird?

    Sweetpea, Apr 10, 2010

  3. Dave Doe

    victor Guest

    On 10/04/10 16:02, Dave Doe wrote:
    > Shame really, I think the Ubuntu 10.04 beta is excellent.
    >
    > copied...
    >
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
    >
    > Desktop Linux losing application support from Songbird
    >
    > "Despite all the efforts of Canonical and Ubuntu, desktop Linux remains
    > non-factor n the market.

    Despite raising $8m in venture capital Sonbird remains a non factor in
    the market.
    Come in "iTunes killer" your time is up.
    victor, Apr 10, 2010
  4. Dave Doe

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-04-10, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:02:20 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> Desktop Linux losing application support from Songbird

    > What is Songbird?

    Maybe this from the first posting might be of help

    Gordon, Apr 11, 2010
  5. Dave Doe

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 07:34:05 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2010-04-10, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:02:20 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Desktop Linux losing application support from Songbird

    >> What is Songbird?
    >>

    > Maybe this from the first posting might be of help
    >
    > On its blog, Songbird developer George Auberger called the decision to
    > drop Linux support from the open source music player ?painful.?

    Well there are multiple music players available on the Linux platform. This matters not.

    Sweetpea, Apr 11, 2010