Linux - Is there any reliable MS Exchange client available?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Aug 24, 2009.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a colleague running Kubuntu 8.04.

    His office uses MS Exchange Server (2003 version he thinks), and needs
    to be able to connect to his Exchange mailbox remotely, and have an
    offline function (a la cached exchange mode I think MS calls it in
    Outlook).

    The business is happy for him to connect with anything he likes as
    long as it works and is secure (the exchange server requires and
    encrypted connection but that is pretty standard of course) and
    doesn't require any changes at their end at all.

    What is the best recommendation?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).
    Alan, Aug 24, 2009

  2. Alan

    EMB Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a colleague running Kubuntu 8.04.
    >
    > His office uses MS Exchange Server (2003 version he thinks), and needs
    > to be able to connect to his Exchange mailbox remotely, and have an
    > offline function (a la cached exchange mode I think MS calls it in
    > Outlook).
    >
    > The business is happy for him to connect with anything he likes as long
    > as it works and is secure (the exchange server requires and encrypted
    > connection but that is pretty standard of course) and doesn't require
    > any changes at their end at all.
    >
    > What is the best recommendation?

    Seriously, and not being a troll - Outlook, running on Windows. Failing
    that, Outlook running under Wine may be a possibility.
    EMB, Aug 24, 2009

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have a colleague running Kubuntu 8.04.
    >>
    >> His office uses MS Exchange Server (2003 version he thinks), and
    >> needs to be able to connect to his Exchange mailbox remotely, and
    >> have an offline function (a la cached exchange mode I think MS
    >> calls it in Outlook).
    >>
    >> The business is happy for him to connect with anything he likes as
    >> long as it works and is secure (the exchange server requires and
    >> encrypted connection but that is pretty standard of course) and
    >> doesn't require any changes at their end at all.
    >>
    >> What is the best recommendation?

    > Seriously, and not being a troll - Outlook, running on Windows.
    > Failing that, Outlook running under Wine may be a possibility.

    Hi EMB,

    No worries - I hesitated before posting, as it would likely be seen as
    a troll by many.

    I did suggest that (in jest!) but it didn't go down very well.

    He is a bit of a zealot (having been converted by a 'friend who knows
    everything about computers').

    {Sigh}

    To be honest, this is a good example of why Linux just isn't ready for
    normal users - it can't do what most normal people regard as the
    'basic' things that are so easy when people have Windows / MS Office.
    Obviously it is entirely due to his employer's decision to use Win
    Server / Exchange, but then I would guess that 95%+ (99%??) of
    businesses in NZ that have their own server probably do, so not having
    a client for exchange is like not having a browser that works with
    HTML.

    I'll keep hoping someone comes up with something, but the best I can
    come up with for now is to dual-boot his PC with WinXP (it has the
    license so no cash outlay), and work in Outlook Web Access, but the
    problem then is that he doesn't want to work in XP and refuses to buy
    an office license, so no offline access to emails.

    The employer won't pay since he only wants to do this so that he can
    'stay ahead of things' from home.

    Alan, Aug 24, 2009
  4. Alan

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > To be honest, this is a good example of why Linux just isn't ready for
    > normal users -

    You're basing that on the non-response from this group?
    Wow.
    If I were to take that attitude, I would be saying to people windows is
    useless, based on my horror experience and the lack of help on IRC.

    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  5. Alan

    EMB Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > Hi EMB,
    >
    > No worries - I hesitated before posting, as it would likely be seen as a
    > troll by many.
    >
    > I did suggest that (in jest!) but it didn't go down very well.
    >
    > He is a bit of a zealot (having been converted by a 'friend who knows
    > everything about computers').

    Thunderbird (or your other favourite mail client) and IMAPS is a
    possibility I suppose but you lose the calendaring and suchlike. It is
    definitely a "second best" offering but will work.
    EMB, Aug 24, 2009
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> To be honest, this is a good example of why Linux just isn't ready
    >> for normal users -

    > You're basing that on the non-response from this group?
    > Wow.
    > If I were to take that attitude, I would be saying to people windows
    > is useless, based on my horror experience and the lack of help on
    > IRC.

    Hi Sam,

    No - I probably didn't express myself clearly. What I really meant
    was that it is too hard for a 'normal' (whatever that may mean) user
    to get basic things done with Linux still.

    Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I hate it when the fanboys get Joe
    Bloggs on to Linux, then bugger off leaving them high and dry, when
    they really need a Linux expert around to keep things working smoothly
    for them, and I definitely wouldn't regard myself as an expert!

    If you scan the threads in here, you'll see a high proportion posted
    by Linux users / knocking Windows, so if I am patient, there should be
    a good response to the query here - likely just a slow evening.

    Alan, Aug 24, 2009
  7. Alan

    EMB Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > If you scan the threads in here, you'll see a high proportion posted by
    > Linux users / knocking Windows, so if I am patient, there should be a
    > good response to the query here - likely just a slow evening.

    Unfortunately it's more likely you'll get them knocking Exchange rather
    than offering constructive help. :-(
    EMB, Aug 24, 2009
  8. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi EMB,
    >>
    >> No worries - I hesitated before posting, as it would likely be seen
    >> as a troll by many.
    >>
    >> I did suggest that (in jest!) but it didn't go down very well.
    >>
    >> He is a bit of a zealot (having been converted by a 'friend who
    >> knows everything about computers').

    > Thunderbird (or your other favourite mail client) and IMAPS is a
    > possibility I suppose but you lose the calendaring and suchlike.
    > It is definitely a "second best" offering but will work.

    I don't think IMAP would be an option though, as it would require
    making changes at the server side to open ports / turn on the IMAP
    service.

    The business is saying they are happy for him to use any client he
    likes, but it must be capable of working with their setup. That means
    it would have to be capable of connecting using SSL to port 443 and
    talk to the exhange server that way (as for any of the exchange
    clients that come for mobiles such as the Symbian apps and, I'm sure,
    the Windows mobile apps).

    His mobile apparently connects and downloads email no problem.

    I don't have any issue with their position - I would take the same
    approach myself if I was the admin ;-)

    Alan, Aug 24, 2009
  9. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> If you scan the threads in here, you'll see a high proportion
    >> posted by Linux users / knocking Windows, so if I am patient, there
    >> should be a good response to the query here - likely just a slow
    >> evening.

    > Unfortunately it's more likely you'll get them knocking Exchange
    > rather than offering constructive help. :-(

    Oh, you sceptic you.

    I think that may be a little unfair.

    The Linux community is, after all, highly responsive to users' needs
    compared to the commercial outfits who just want to rip everyone off
    and don't care about their customers at all.

    ;-)

    Alan, Aug 24, 2009
  10. Alan

    Max Burke Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi EMB,
    >>
    >> No worries - I hesitated before posting, as it would likely be seen as
    >> a troll by many.
    >>
    >> I did suggest that (in jest!) but it didn't go down very well.
    >>
    >> He is a bit of a zealot (having been converted by a 'friend who knows
    >> everything about computers').

    > Thunderbird (or your other favourite mail client) and IMAPS is a
    > possibility I suppose but you lose the calendaring and suchlike. It is
    > definitely a "second best" offering but will work.

    You Don't have to lose the calendar and tasks option.

    The Lightning add on for Thunderbird works just fine in Linux and Windows.

    Get it here:

    Googling it shows some users having problems with it in Linux/Ubuntu,
    but I haven't running the Lightning add-on in either Windows XP or
    Ubuntu 9.04

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Aug 24, 2009
  11. Alan

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:39:03 +1200, Alan wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a colleague running Kubuntu 8.04.
    >
    > His office uses MS Exchange Server (2003 version he thinks), and needs
    > to be able to connect to his Exchange mailbox remotely, and have an
    > offline function (a la cached exchange mode I think MS calls it in
    > Outlook).
    >
    > The business is happy for him to connect with anything he likes as long
    > as it works and is secure (the exchange server requires and encrypted
    > connection but that is pretty standard of course) and doesn't require
    > any changes at their end at all.
    >
    > What is the best recommendation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    Try using Evolution with the Exchange Connector. It's not perfect but it works. It's only a viable solution
    if his office has Outlook Web Access enabled.

    Carnations, Aug 24, 2009
  12. Alan

    EMB Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > The business is saying they are happy for him to use any client he
    > likes, but it must be capable of working with their setup. That means
    > it would have to be capable of connecting using SSL to port 443 and talk
    > to the exhange server that way (as for any of the exchange clients that
    > come for mobiles such as the Symbian apps and, I'm sure, the Windows
    > mobile apps).

    Bingo - Evolution connects via OWA much as the phone clients do.

    http://www.mattwoodward.com/blog/in...y&entryId=E0A1524A-9A18-C867-DA5BD7AD7880E672
    EMB, Aug 24, 2009
  13. Alan

    Sailor Sam Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    >>
    >> The business is saying they are happy for him to use any client he
    >> likes, but it must be capable of working with their setup. That means
    >> it would have to be capable of connecting using SSL to port 443 and
    >> talk to the exhange server that way (as for any of the exchange
    >> clients that come for mobiles such as the Symbian apps and, I'm sure,
    >> the Windows mobile apps).

    > Bingo - Evolution connects via OWA much as the phone clients do.
    >
    > http://www.mattwoodward.com/blog/in...y&entryId=E0A1524A-9A18-C867-DA5BD7AD7880E672

    Wow, only ten minutes after Carnations posted the same answer.
    Sailor Sam, Aug 24, 2009
  14. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >>
    >> The business is saying they are happy for him to use any client he
    >> likes, but it must be capable of working with their setup. That
    >> means it would have to be capable of connecting using SSL to port
    >> 443 and talk to the exhange server that way (as for any of the
    >> exchange clients that come for mobiles such as the Symbian apps
    >> and, I'm sure, the Windows mobile apps).

    > Bingo - Evolution connects via OWA much as the phone clients do.
    >
    > http://www.mattwoodward.com/blog/in...y&entryId=E0A1524A-9A18-C867-DA5BD7AD7880E672

    Good find sir!

    I was under the (mistaken) impression that Evolution didn't work like
    that, so I had written it off.

    That'll show me!

    Alan, Aug 24, 2009
  15. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi EMB,
    >>>
    >>> No worries - I hesitated before posting, as it would likely be
    >>> seen as a troll by many.
    >>>
    >>> I did suggest that (in jest!) but it didn't go down very well.
    >>>
    >>> He is a bit of a zealot (having been converted by a 'friend who
    >>> knows everything about computers').

    >> Thunderbird (or your other favourite mail client) and IMAPS is a
    >> possibility I suppose but you lose the calendaring and suchlike.
    >> It is definitely a "second best" offering but will work.

    > You Don't have to lose the calendar and tasks option.
    >
    > The Lightning add on for Thunderbird works just fine in Linux and
    > Windows.
    >
    > Get it here:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313
    >
    > Googling it shows some users having problems with it in
    > Linux/Ubuntu, but I haven't running the Lightning add-on in either
    > Windows XP or Ubuntu 9.04

    Thanks Max.

    EMB found that Evolution might actually work (i had thought it
    didn't).

    I'll get him to try that first, and if it fails, come back to
    Lightning and see how that goes.

    Alan, Aug 24, 2009
  16. Alan

    AD. Guest

    On Aug 24, 10:38 pm, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > I had rules out Evolution as I (mistakenly) thought it couldn't do it,
    > but looks like I might have been wrong (or at least out of date).
    >
    > They do have OWA enabled - I just tried it and got to the log in
    > screen.

    I think Evolution only uses OWA for Exchange 2003 - apparently for
    Exchange 2007 it uses MAPI (I haven't used 2007 myself).

    Also: If OWA uses a self signed cert (eg like SBS automatically
    generates), you'll need to manually import the cert into Evolution.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 24, 2009
  17. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    On Aug 24, 10:38 pm, "Alan" <> wrote:

    > I think Evolution only uses OWA for Exchange 2003 - apparently for
    > Exchange 2007 it uses MAPI (I haven't used 2007 myself).
    >
    > Also: If OWA uses a self signed cert (eg like SBS automatically
    > generates), you'll need to manually import the cert into Evolution.

    Nor have I. That'll be interesting if it only works on MAPI. I would
    be mildly surprised if MS did that though - more likely they would
    keep https access and add MAPI as they usually try to maintain
    backwards compatibility for some time.

    On the certs: Yep - or just click through the warning screen each
    time I guess (I am going from how OWA works in a browser) and assuming
    that Evolution works the same way in the same situation.

    Alan, Aug 24, 2009
  18. Alan

    victor Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The business is saying they are happy for him to use any client he
    >>> likes, but it must be capable of working with their setup. That
    >>> means it would have to be capable of connecting using SSL to port 443
    >>> and talk to the exhange server that way (as for any of the exchange
    >>> clients that come for mobiles such as the Symbian apps and, I'm sure,
    >>> the Windows mobile apps).

    >> Bingo - Evolution connects via OWA much as the phone clients do.
    >>
    >> http://www.mattwoodward.com/blog/in...y&entryId=E0A1524A-9A18-C867-DA5BD7AD7880E672
    >>

    > Wow, only ten minutes after Carnations posted the same answer.

    Wow, a sock puppet.
    victor, Aug 24, 2009
  19. Alan

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h6uurv$fp1$>, lid says...
    > "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 24, 10:38 pm, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I think Evolution only uses OWA for Exchange 2003 - apparently for
    > > Exchange 2007 it uses MAPI (I haven't used 2007 myself).
    > >
    > > Also: If OWA uses a self signed cert (eg like SBS automatically
    > > generates), you'll need to manually import the cert into Evolution.
    > >

    > Nor have I. That'll be interesting if it only works on MAPI. I would
    > be mildly surprised if MS did that though - more likely they would
    > keep https access and add MAPI as they usually try to maintain
    > backwards compatibility for some time.
    >
    > On the certs: Yep - or just click through the warning screen each
    > time I guess (I am going from how OWA works in a browser) and assuming
    > that Evolution works the same way in the same situation.

    I think it is the only real option if your man doesn't want to use
    Outlook under Wine.

    Be aware that: OWA is quite limited (and OMA even more so). There are a
    lot of things you can't do, but off the top of my head; calendar, email,
    tasks and contact *categories* can't be set, is one thing.

    Secure POP access plus OWA is another workable option, and avoids
    Evolution (which is a bitch and a pig of a thing - if you ask me, the
    programers should be lined up and shot! :). However, your man may be
    quite happy with such a beast.

    There are a number of options available to Exchange Server 2003, all
    explained in (under) this technet article that may help.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/library/aa996528(en-us,EXCHG.65).aspx

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Aug 24, 2009
  20. In article <h6ti0p$ih6$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >Alan wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have a colleague running Kubuntu 8.04.
    >>
    >> His office uses MS Exchange Server (2003 version he thinks), and needs
    >> to be able to connect to his Exchange mailbox remotely, and have an
    >> offline function (a la cached exchange mode I think MS calls it in
    >> Outlook).
    >>
    >> The business is happy for him to connect with anything he likes as long
    >> as it works and is secure (the exchange server requires and encrypted
    >> connection but that is pretty standard of course) and doesn't require
    >> any changes at their end at all.
    >>
    >> What is the best recommendation?

    >Seriously, and not being a troll - Outlook, running on Windows. Failing
    >that, Outlook running under Wine may be a possibility.

    Webmail ? Works with any browser (usually) ... but they made need to set it
    up of course. May be more trouble thanit's worth. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 25, 2009