linux internet help please?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by analogman, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. analogman

    analogman Guest

    I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as been
    the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to work
    and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I have
    broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port forwarding
    for better use with torrents and have had no problems with getting this
    setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is buggering up linux
    although I can't see why because in both cases when linux does it's dhcp
    communication with the router it fails and in the case of damn small linux
    distribution says the connection is not there or incompatible. Now as the
    only help I have found on this says it should just work I am stumped as to
    what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am using a dlink dsl 302g router and
    according to what I have read I should have no problems with this working
    with linux, dhcp should just pick up the ip address for me etc...
    Anyhow if some could help me it would be much appreciated bearing in mind
    that I am a reasonably competent windows user but completely lost with linux
    and don't want to have to learn a lot just to try linux out, of course if I
    can use it with web browsing and it works much faster than windows I may
    take a serious look at leaving windows behind which I would love to do right
    now but unfortunately it is never easy to take the road less travelled and
    this is what makes unattractive to a beginner, catch 22 I know.
    analogman, Jan 26, 2007

  2. analogman

    HairyMcLeary Guest

    "analogman" <no@digital> wrote in message news:45b9c059$...
    >I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as
    > been
    > the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to
    > work
    > and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    > frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I have
    > broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port forwarding
    > for better use with torrents and have had no problems with getting this
    > setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is buggering up linux
    > although I can't see why because in both cases when linux does it's dhcp
    > communication with the router it fails and in the case of damn small linux
    > distribution says the connection is not there or incompatible. Now as the
    > only help I have found on this says it should just work I am stumped as to
    > what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am using a dlink dsl 302g router
    > and
    > according to what I have read I should have no problems with this working
    > with linux, dhcp should just pick up the ip address for me etc...
    > Anyhow if some could help me it would be much appreciated bearing in mind
    > that I am a reasonably competent windows user but completely lost with
    > linux
    > and don't want to have to learn a lot just to try linux out, of course if
    > can use it with web browsing and it works much faster than windows I may
    > take a serious look at leaving windows behind which I would love to do
    > right
    > now but unfortunately it is never easy to take the road less travelled and
    > this is what makes unattractive to a beginner, catch 22 I know.

    Can't offer too much in the way of help other than to say that i have a
    D-link 302G and have had several versions of Linux installed over the years
    (Mandkrake, Suse, Red Hat, Ubuntu ) and have never had any problem
    whatsoever. perhaps some of the Linux gurus can offer some advice?

    Tony

    HairyMcLeary, Jan 26, 2007

  3. analogman

    analogman Guest

    > >I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    > > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as
    > > been
    > > the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to
    > > work
    > > and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    > > frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I have
    > > broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port

    forwarding
    > > for better use with torrents and have had no problems with getting this
    > > setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is buggering up linux
    > > although I can't see why because in both cases when linux does it's dhcp
    > > communication with the router it fails and in the case of damn small

    linux
    > > distribution says the connection is not there or incompatible. Now as

    the
    > > only help I have found on this says it should just work I am stumped as

    > > what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am using a dlink dsl 302g router
    > > and
    > > according to what I have read I should have no problems with this

    working
    > > with linux, dhcp should just pick up the ip address for me etc...
    > > Anyhow if some could help me it would be much appreciated bearing in

    mind
    > > that I am a reasonably competent windows user but completely lost with
    > > linux
    > > and don't want to have to learn a lot just to try linux out, of course

    if
    > > can use it with web browsing and it works much faster than windows I may
    > > take a serious look at leaving windows behind which I would love to do
    > > right
    > > now but unfortunately it is never easy to take the road less travelled

    and
    > > this is what makes unattractive to a beginner, catch 22 I know.
    > >

    > Can't offer too much in the way of help other than to say that i have a
    > D-link 302G and have had several versions of Linux installed over the

    years
    > (Mandkrake, Suse, Red Hat, Ubuntu ) and have never had any problem
    > whatsoever. perhaps some of the Linux gurus can offer some advice?
    >
    > Tony

    Thanks, that's good to confirm that it should work no problems, can you tell
    me though if you had to configure anything or did it just work all by
    itself?
    analogman, Jan 26, 2007
  4. analogman

    Shane Guest

    analogman wrote:

    > I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as
    > been the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet
    > to work and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser
    > speed frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I
    > have broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port
    > forwarding for better use with torrents and have had no problems with
    > getting this setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is
    > buggering up linux although I can't see why because in both cases when
    > linux does it's dhcp communication with the router it fails and in the
    > case of damn small linux distribution says the connection is not there or
    > incompatible. Now as the only help I have found on this says it should
    > just work I am stumped as to what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am
    > using a dlink dsl 302g router and according to what I have read I should
    > have no problems with this working with linux, dhcp should just pick up
    > the ip address for me etc... Anyhow if some could help me it would be much
    > appreciated bearing in mind that I am a reasonably competent windows user
    > but completely lost with linux and don't want to have to learn a lot just
    > to try linux out, of course if I can use it with web browsing and it works
    > much faster than windows I may take a serious look at leaving windows
    > behind which I would love to do right now but unfortunately it is never
    > easy to take the road less travelled and this is what makes unattractive
    > to a beginner, catch 22 I know.

    Best place to start is with your network. Do you normally setup your pc to
    get its ip/network settings via dhcp?
    Or are they statically set (ie. pc's ip, network mask, default gateway, and
    DNS)
    Also, which 'flavour' linux are you trying out on the livecd (this will help
    people show you how to set the network up)
    Shane, Jan 26, 2007
  5. analogman

    analogman Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > analogman wrote:
    >
    > > I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no

    previous
    > > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as
    > > been the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet
    > > to work and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the

    browser
    > > speed frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I
    > > have broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port
    > > forwarding for better use with torrents and have had no problems with
    > > getting this setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is
    > > buggering up linux although I can't see why because in both cases when
    > > linux does it's dhcp communication with the router it fails and in the
    > > case of damn small linux distribution says the connection is not there

    or
    > > incompatible. Now as the only help I have found on this says it should
    > > just work I am stumped as to what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am
    > > using a dlink dsl 302g router and according to what I have read I should
    > > have no problems with this working with linux, dhcp should just pick up
    > > the ip address for me etc... Anyhow if some could help me it would be

    much
    > > appreciated bearing in mind that I am a reasonably competent windows

    user
    > > but completely lost with linux and don't want to have to learn a lot

    just
    > > to try linux out, of course if I can use it with web browsing and it

    works
    > > much faster than windows I may take a serious look at leaving windows
    > > behind which I would love to do right now but unfortunately it is never
    > > easy to take the road less travelled and this is what makes unattractive
    > > to a beginner, catch 22 I know.

    > Best place to start is with your network. Do you normally setup your pc

    > get its ip/network settings via dhcp?
    > Or are they statically set (ie. pc's ip, network mask, default gateway,

    and
    > DNS)
    > Also, which 'flavour' linux are you trying out on the livecd (this will

    help
    > people show you how to set the network up)

    I only know that the distribution is damn small linux, I don't know what
    flavour it is and am not even sure what you mean by this.
    In windows I have the ip settings set statically but does this have anything
    to do with what happens when I run linux, I have looked at the router config
    in windows and the router seems to have dhcp enabled.
    analogman, Jan 26, 2007
  6. analogman

    > Also, which 'flavour' linux are you trying out on the livecd (this will

    help
    > people show you how to set the network up)

    It appears to be mostly debian based.
    analogman, Jan 26, 2007
  7. analogman

    Shane Guest

    analogman wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> analogman wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no

    > previous
    >> > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as
    >> > been the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the
    >> > internet to work and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find
    >> > the

    > browser
    >> > speed frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I
    >> > have broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port
    >> > forwarding for better use with torrents and have had no problems with
    >> > getting this setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is
    >> > buggering up linux although I can't see why because in both cases when
    >> > linux does it's dhcp communication with the router it fails and in the
    >> > case of damn small linux distribution says the connection is not there

    > or
    >> > incompatible. Now as the only help I have found on this says it should
    >> > just work I am stumped as to what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am
    >> > using a dlink dsl 302g router and according to what I have read I
    >> > should have no problems with this working with linux, dhcp should just
    >> > pick up the ip address for me etc... Anyhow if some could help me it
    >> > would be

    > much
    >> > appreciated bearing in mind that I am a reasonably competent windows

    > user
    >> > but completely lost with linux and don't want to have to learn a lot

    > just
    >> > to try linux out, of course if I can use it with web browsing and it

    > works
    >> > much faster than windows I may take a serious look at leaving windows
    >> > behind which I would love to do right now but unfortunately it is never
    >> > easy to take the road less travelled and this is what makes
    >> > unattractive to a beginner, catch 22 I know.

    >> Best place to start is with your network. Do you normally setup your pc

    >> get its ip/network settings via dhcp?
    >> Or are they statically set (ie. pc's ip, network mask, default gateway,

    > and
    >> DNS)
    >> Also, which 'flavour' linux are you trying out on the livecd (this will

    > help
    >> people show you how to set the network up)

    > I only know that the distribution is damn small linux, I don't know what
    > flavour it is and am not even sure what you mean by this.
    > In windows I have the ip settings set statically but does this have
    > anything to do with what happens when I run linux, I have looked at the
    > router config in windows and the router seems to have dhcp enabled.

    ok
    In your windows network setup note down the following
    (The names may be different as its been ages since I peed about with a
    windows networking setup)

    1a) The static IP
    1b) Network Mask (only required if this is *not* 255.255.255.0 or
    255.255.0.0 or 255.0.0.0
    2) Default Gateway
    3) Nameserver (or DNS settings)

    When you run the linux, you can setup the network via the terminal
    (commandline)
    Im not familiar with DSL but there *may* be a GUI for doing the following,
    at any rate:

    (as root)
    # ifconfig eth0 <static ip that windows has>
    # route add default gw <Default Gateway IP>
    # echo "nameserver <DNS IP>" >> /etc/resolv.conf

    Obviously exchange your noted settings with the relevant <stuff>

    When you have broken that let us know, or even if its successful
    Shane, Jan 26, 2007
  8. analogman

    Enkidu Guest

    analogman wrote:
    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> analogman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no

    > previous
    >>> linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as
    >>> been the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet
    >>> to work and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the

    > browser
    >>> speed frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I
    >>> have broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port
    >>> forwarding for better use with torrents and have had no problems with
    >>> getting this setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is
    >>> buggering up linux although I can't see why because in both cases when
    >>> linux does it's dhcp communication with the router it fails and in the
    >>> case of damn small linux distribution says the connection is not there

    > or
    >>> incompatible. Now as the only help I have found on this says it should
    >>> just work I am stumped as to what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am
    >>> using a dlink dsl 302g router and according to what I have read I should
    >>> have no problems with this working with linux, dhcp should just pick up
    >>> the ip address for me etc... Anyhow if some could help me it would be

    > much
    >>> appreciated bearing in mind that I am a reasonably competent windows

    > user
    >>> but completely lost with linux and don't want to have to learn a lot

    > just
    >>> to try linux out, of course if I can use it with web browsing and it

    > works
    >>> much faster than windows I may take a serious look at leaving windows
    >>> behind which I would love to do right now but unfortunately it is never
    >>> easy to take the road less travelled and this is what makes unattractive
    >>> to a beginner, catch 22 I know.

    >> Best place to start is with your network. Do you normally setup your pc

    >> get its ip/network settings via dhcp?
    >> Or are they statically set (ie. pc's ip, network mask, default gateway,

    > and
    >> DNS)
    >> Also, which 'flavour' linux are you trying out on the livecd (this will

    > help
    >> people show you how to set the network up)

    > I only know that the distribution is damn small linux, I don't know what
    > flavour it is and am not even sure what you mean by this.
    > In windows I have the ip settings set statically but does this have anything
    > to do with what happens when I run linux, I have looked at the router config
    > in windows and the router seems to have dhcp enabled.

    It should just work. If you have a proxy, you might have to set the
    proxy details in the browser.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jan 26, 2007
  9. analogman

    Rebel Lion Guest

    About Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:22:43 +1300, analogman wibbled of:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> Also, which 'flavour' linux are you trying out on the livecd (this will

    > help
    >> people show you how to set the network up)

    > It appears to be mostly debian based.

    Make sure you are using the ethernet port rather than the usb one, it
    will be faster with 98 anyway and should just work with linux.
    Rebel Lion, Jan 26, 2007
  10. analogman

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:48:44 +1300, "analogman" <no@digital>
    exclaimed:

    >I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    >linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as been
    >the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to work
    >and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    >frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e.

    Changing operating systems is VERY unlikely to affect the speed of
    your internet connection noticably.

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
    Fred Dagg, Jan 26, 2007
  11. analogman wrote:
    > I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as been
    > the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to work
    > and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    > frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I have
    > broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port forwarding
    > for better use with torrents and have had no problems with getting this
    > setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is buggering up linux
    > although I can't see why because in both cases when linux does it's dhcp
    > communication with the router it fails and in the case of damn small linux
    > distribution says the connection is not there or incompatible. Now as the
    > only help I have found on this says it should just work I am stumped as to
    > what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am using a dlink dsl 302g router and
    > according to what I have read I should have no problems with this working
    > with linux, dhcp should just pick up the ip address for me etc...
    > Anyhow if some could help me it would be much appreciated bearing in mind
    > that I am a reasonably competent windows user but completely lost with linux
    > and don't want to have to learn a lot just to try linux out, of course if I
    > can use it with web browsing and it works much faster than windows I may
    > take a serious look at leaving windows behind which I would love to do right
    > now but unfortunately it is never easy to take the road less travelled and
    > this is what makes unattractive to a beginner, catch 22 I know.

    man ls
    man cd
    man pwd
    man cp
    man mv
    man cat
    man less
    reference documentation for basic commands

    logged in as root:

    ifconfig
    will show you how your communications devices are configured
    eth0 is your first port
    lo is localhost or loopback, your machine
    ppp0 is your first modem

    cat /etc/networks/interfaces
    will show you how they get configured

    iptables --list -n -v
    will shows some of the state of your firewall
    Mark Robinson, Jan 26, 2007
  12. analogman

    HairyMcLeary Guest

    "analogman" <no@digital> wrote in message news:45b9c4b3$...

    > "HairyMcLeary" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "analogman" <no@digital> wrote in message

    >> >I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no
    >> >previous
    >> > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as
    >> > been
    >> > the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to
    >> > work
    >> > and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser
    >> > speed
    >> > frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I have
    >> > broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port

    > forwarding
    >> > for better use with torrents and have had no problems with getting this
    >> > setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is buggering up
    >> > linux
    >> > although I can't see why because in both cases when linux does it's
    >> > dhcp
    >> > communication with the router it fails and in the case of damn small

    > linux
    >> > distribution says the connection is not there or incompatible. Now as

    > the
    >> > only help I have found on this says it should just work I am stumped as

    >> > what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am using a dlink dsl 302g
    >> > router
    >> > and
    >> > according to what I have read I should have no problems with this

    > working
    >> > with linux, dhcp should just pick up the ip address for me etc...
    >> > Anyhow if some could help me it would be much appreciated bearing in

    > mind
    >> > that I am a reasonably competent windows user but completely lost with
    >> > linux
    >> > and don't want to have to learn a lot just to try linux out, of course

    > if
    >> > can use it with web browsing and it works much faster than windows I
    >> > may
    >> > take a serious look at leaving windows behind which I would love to do
    >> > right
    >> > now but unfortunately it is never easy to take the road less travelled

    > and
    >> > this is what makes unattractive to a beginner, catch 22 I know.
    >> >

    >> Can't offer too much in the way of help other than to say that i have a
    >> D-link 302G and have had several versions of Linux installed over the

    > years
    >> (Mandkrake, Suse, Red Hat, Ubuntu ) and have never had any problem
    >> whatsoever. perhaps some of the Linux gurus can offer some advice?
    >>
    >> Tony
    >>

    > Thanks, that's good to confirm that it should work no problems, can you
    > tell
    > me though if you had to configure anything or did it just work all by
    > itself?

    It just worked but I used the ethernet connection NOT the USB, never could
    get it to work properly from the USB port.
    DSE sell cheap network cards it your PC hasn't one already.

    Tony

    HairyMcLeary, Jan 26, 2007
  13. analogman

    Rob S Guest

    analogman wrote:
    > I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as been
    > the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to work
    > and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    > frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I have
    > broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port forwarding
    > for better use with torrents and have had no problems with getting this
    > setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is buggering up linux
    > although I can't see why because in both cases when linux does it's dhcp
    > communication with the router it fails and in the case of damn small linux
    > distribution says the connection is not there or incompatible. Now as the
    > only help I have found on this says it should just work I am stumped as to
    > what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am using a dlink dsl 302g router and
    > according to what I have read I should have no problems with this working
    > with linux, dhcp should just pick up the ip address for me etc...
    > Anyhow if some could help me it would be much appreciated bearing in mind
    > that I am a reasonably competent windows user but completely lost with linux
    > and don't want to have to learn a lot just to try linux out, of course if I
    > can use it with web browsing and it works much faster than windows I may
    > take a serious look at leaving windows behind which I would love to do right
    > now but unfortunately it is never easy to take the road less travelled and
    > this is what makes unattractive to a beginner, catch 22 I know.

    There is a gui network setup in DSL. On the desktop, click on DSLpanel
    then Netcardconfig. Enter yes to the question "Use DHCP Broadcast?" and
    that's it. As long as it has detected your network card you should have
    no problems. I've installed DSL on 1/2 dozen boxes with a variety of
    on-board and pci nics and it's recognized all of them.

    Cheers

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never
    precluded their reinvention. - Larry Wall
    Rob S, Jan 26, 2007
  14. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:48:44 +1300, "analogman" <no@digital>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    >>linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as
    >>been
    >>the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to
    >>work
    >>and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    >>frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e.

    > Changing operating systems is VERY unlikely to affect the speed of
    > your internet connection noticably.

    Umm.. thats quite wrong.. For example win98 and XP's TCP Stack is quite bad
    and may limit you to ~4.5M on a FS/FS plan (on TCP Downloads). Changing to
    Linux /Mac may increase this to 7M . Its all due to the magic of TCP/IP

    Thanks
    Craog
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 26, 2007
  15. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:07:17 +1300, analogman wrote:

    > Thanks, that's good to confirm that it should work no problems, can you tell
    > me though if you had to configure anything or did it just work all by
    > itself?

    How does your DSL modem connect to your computer? Is it an ethernet or USB
    connection?

    Have you fully configured your network connection? If so, what are the
    settings?

    Have you set the default gateway to point at the IP address of your DSL
    modem? If so, what is it?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918
    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 26, 2007
  16. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:20:56 +1300, analogman wrote:

    > I only know that the distribution is damn small linux, I don't know what
    > flavour it is and am not even sure what you mean by this.
    > In windows I have the ip settings set statically but does this have anything
    > to do with what happens when I run linux, I have looked at the router config
    > in windows and the router seems to have dhcp enabled.

    What settings you have for when running Windows as the OS are completely
    irrelevant and unrelated to having Linux set up - Windows settings are for
    when running Windows, and Linux settings are for when running Linux.

    However, the same thngs should be set the same way in both systems.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 26, 2007
  17. analogman

    analogman Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:48:44 +1300, "analogman" <no@digital>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no previous
    > >linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as

    been
    > >the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to

    work
    > >and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    > >frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e.

    > Changing operating systems is VERY unlikely to affect the speed of
    > your internet connection noticably.

    It's not the internet connection i am talking about but the speed of the
    browser, for example firefox is much slower than i.e on my win98se computer
    resulting in a tedious internet experience.
    analogman, Jan 26, 2007
  18. analogman

    analogman Guest

    "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:...
    > analogman wrote:
    > > I have recently tried out to live linux distributions, I have no

    previous
    > > linux experience so if anything goes wrong I am pretty stuffed such as

    been
    > > the case with both attempts, in both cases I can't get the internet to

    work
    > > and this is the main thing I want to try out as I find the browser speed
    > > frustratingly slow in win98se for both firefox and i.e. Anyhow I have
    > > broadband and for windows I have configured the router for port

    forwarding
    > > for better use with torrents and have had no problems with getting this
    > > setup correctly but i am wondering if this is what is buggering up linux
    > > although I can't see why because in both cases when linux does it's dhcp
    > > communication with the router it fails and in the case of damn small

    linux
    > > distribution says the connection is not there or incompatible. Now as

    the
    > > only help I have found on this says it should just work I am stumped as

    > > what could be wrong or how to fix it, I am using a dlink dsl 302g router

    and
    > > according to what I have read I should have no problems with this

    working
    > > with linux, dhcp should just pick up the ip address for me etc...
    > > Anyhow if some could help me it would be much appreciated bearing in

    mind
    > > that I am a reasonably competent windows user but completely lost with

    linux
    > > and don't want to have to learn a lot just to try linux out, of course

    if I
    > > can use it with web browsing and it works much faster than windows I may
    > > take a serious look at leaving windows behind which I would love to do

    right
    > > now but unfortunately it is never easy to take the road less travelled

    and
    > > this is what makes unattractive to a beginner, catch 22 I know.
    > >

    > There is a gui network setup in DSL. On the desktop, click on DSLpanel
    > then Netcardconfig. Enter yes to the question "Use DHCP Broadcast?" and
    > that's it. As long as it has detected your network card you should have
    > no problems. I've installed DSL on 1/2 dozen boxes with a variety of
    > on-board and pci nics and it's recognized all of them.

    Yeah I wish, it detects my network card and on selecting dhcp broadcast the
    ethernet and adsl lights on my router flash for about 30 seconds before it
    says the connection is not there or incompatible. I tried another
    distribution a few weeks ago but gave up on it because of the same problem,
    although with that one I could not get anything until I configured the
    network card the same way I do in windows with static ip etc...., then
    things seemed to be working but could still get no connection to my isp.
    analogman, Jan 26, 2007
  19. analogman

    > > "HairyMcLeary" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "analogman" <no@digital> wrote in message

    as

    > > forwarding

    this

    > > linux

    > > the

    as

    > > working

    > > mind

    with

    course
    > > if

    do

    travelled
    > > and
    > >> >

    > >> Can't offer too much in the way of help other than to say that i have a
    > >> D-link 302G and have had several versions of Linux installed over the

    > > years
    > >> (Mandkrake, Suse, Red Hat, Ubuntu ) and have never had any problem
    > >> whatsoever. perhaps some of the Linux gurus can offer some advice?
    > >>
    > >> Tony
    > >>

    > > Thanks, that's good to confirm that it should work no problems, can you
    > > tell
    > > me though if you had to configure anything or did it just work all by
    > > itself?
    > >

    > It just worked but I used the ethernet connection NOT the USB, never could
    > get it to work properly from the USB port.
    > DSE sell cheap network cards it your PC hasn't one already.
    >
    > Tony

    Never would even consider using the usb port on the router.
    analogman, Jan 26, 2007
  20. analogman

    analogman Guest

    "Dianthus Mimulus" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:07:17 +1300, analogman wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks, that's good to confirm that it should work no problems, can you

    tell
    > > me though if you had to configure anything or did it just work all by
    > > itself?

    > How does your DSL modem connect to your computer? Is it an ethernet or USB
    > connection?
    >
    > Have you fully configured your network connection? If so, what are the
    > settings?
    >
    > Have you set the default gateway to point at the IP address of your DSL
    > modem? If so, what is it?

    Sorry I did not clarify that I am using the ethernet connection, would never
    consider using the usb which is why i forgot to mention it.
    Gateway is 10.1.1.1 but as I understood things I should not have to do this,
    tried it with another linux distribution though as well as setting static ip
    etc... but I could not get that to communicate with my isp either although I
    was getting communication between network card and router after making these
    settings.
    analogman, Jan 26, 2007