    thing about Linux. I've heard that the Wellington Linux group have the
    occasional installfest which he could possibly take it along to. Does anyone
    have any idea who he would contact about this? TIA.

    Jules Winnfield, Mar 3, 2005

  2. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:36:28 +1300, Jules Winnfield wrote:

    > A friend of a friend has a P3 650 computer with no OS they're just wanting
    > to use for general office stuff, email and some internet access. I've
    > suggested Linux as a low-cost option. Problem is, I don't know the first
    > thing about Linux. I've heard that the Wellington Linux group have the
    > occasional installfest which he could possibly take it along to. Does anyone
    > have any idea who he would contact about this? TIA.

    I had a look on google and found welly lugs site
    http://wlug.naos.co.nz/index.php
    on it they show their upcoming meetings (14th Mar welly.. 24 Mar Hutt)
    <Q>
    Meetings

    Wellington City:
    Meetings are held on the 2nd Monday of the month, from 7:30pm to 10:00pm.
    Location: LAN Place, Level 4, Eagle Technology House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington.

    Hutt Valley:
    Meetings are held on the 4th Thursday of the month, from 7:00pm till 9:30pm.
    Location: Youth for Christ, 10 Raroa Rd, Lower Hutt.
    </Q>
    this page looks promising for contacts
    http://wlug.naos.co.nz/index.php?page=contacts.php

    HTH

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 3, 2005

  3. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:32:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:36:28 +1300, Jules Winnfield wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of a friend has a P3 650 computer with no OS they're just wanting
    >> to use for general office stuff, email and some internet access. I've
    >> suggested Linux as a low-cost option. Problem is, I don't know the first
    >> thing about Linux. I've heard that the Wellington Linux group have the
    >> occasional installfest which he could possibly take it along to. Does anyone
    >> have any idea who he would contact about this? TIA.

    > I had a look on google and found welly lugs site
    > http://wlug.naos.co.nz/index.php
    > on it they show their upcoming meetings (14th Mar welly.. 24 Mar Hutt)
    > <Q>
    > Meetings
    >
    > Wellington City:
    > Meetings are held on the 2nd Monday of the month, from 7:30pm to 10:00pm.
    > Location: LAN Place, Level 4, Eagle Technology House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington.
    >
    > Hutt Valley:
    > Meetings are held on the 4th Thursday of the month, from 7:00pm till 9:30pm.
    > Location: Youth for Christ, 10 Raroa Rd, Lower Hutt.
    > </Q>
    > this page looks promising for contacts
    > http://wlug.naos.co.nz/index.php?page=contacts.php
    >
    > HTH

    er I should mention these are just meetings.. not 'install fests' as such
    although I have no doubt someone attending these meetings might know a
    thing or two that may be of some help ;-)

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 3, 2005
  4. "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:32:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    > er I should mention these are just meetings.. not 'install fests' as such
    > although I have no doubt someone attending these meetings might know a
    > thing or two that may be of some help ;-)
    > --

    Thanks. I'll let him know.

    Jules Winnfield, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Jules Winnfield

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jules Winnfield wrote:
    > "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:32:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>
    >>er I should mention these are just meetings.. not 'install fests' as such
    >>although I have no doubt someone attending these meetings might know a
    >>thing or two that may be of some help ;-)
    >>--

    > Thanks. I'll let him know.

    Actually, the meetings (especially the Hutt ones) are fairly casual, and
    if your friend turned up with a box it is unlikely he'd go away with it
    still empty. There are usually a few distributions floating around, and
    an install doesn't take that long.

    Wellington meetings are a little more formal but there is room down the
    back for those with other interests, plus LAN Place is pretty
    interesting in itself :)

    -=rjh=-, Mar 3, 2005
  6. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:50:58 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Jules Winnfield wrote:
    >> "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:32:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>>
    >>>er I should mention these are just meetings.. not 'install fests' as such
    >>>although I have no doubt someone attending these meetings might know a
    >>>thing or two that may be of some help ;-)
    >>>--

    >> Thanks. I'll let him know.
    >>

    > Actually, the meetings (especially the Hutt ones) are fairly casual, and
    > if your friend turned up with a box it is unlikely he'd go away with it
    > still empty. There are usually a few distributions floating around, and
    > an install doesn't take that long.
    >
    > Wellington meetings are a little more formal but there is room down the
    > back for those with other interests, plus LAN Place is pretty
    > interesting in itself :)

    er yeah.. sorry
    according to the sites the 'installfest 2004' has ended
    but I kind of figured there may be helpful individuals attending the
    meetings
    and I forgot to mention the kapiti lug (still no idea where the OP was
    even from)
    http://www.klug.org.nz/
    although their site isnt up to date ( next meeting 11/02/04 )??
    does this mean they have disbanded?

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 3, 2005
  7. Jules Winnfield

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:47:34 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > and I forgot to mention the kapiti lug (still no idea where the OP was
    > even from)
    > http://www.klug.org.nz/
    > although their site isnt up to date ( next meeting 11/02/04 )?? does this
    > mean they have disbanded?

    Yeah, Woger refused to fix Lunix machines. They all had to go back to
    Windows :(

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 3, 2005
  8. Jules Winnfield

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:50:58 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >

    >>Jules Winnfield wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thanks. I'll let him know.
    >>>

    >>Actually, the meetings (especially the Hutt ones) are fairly casual, and
    >>if your friend turned up with a box it is unlikely he'd go away with it
    >>still empty. There are usually a few distributions floating around, and
    >>an install doesn't take that long.
    >>
    >>Wellington meetings are a little more formal but there is room down the
    >>back for those with other interests, plus LAN Place is pretty
    >>interesting in itself :)

    > er yeah.. sorry
    > according to the sites the 'installfest 2004' has ended
    > but I kind of figured there may be helpful individuals attending the
    > meetings
    > and I forgot to mention the kapiti lug (still no idea where the OP was
    > even from)
    > http://www.klug.org.nz/
    > although their site isnt up to date ( next meeting 11/02/04 )??
    > does this mean they have disbanded?

    I don't think so, I'm sure Steve will be along shortly to confirm :)

    The most recent installfest in Petone was amazing - *huge* interest and
    very well organised, and a lot of free CDs went out the door. The guys
    did a good job.

    -=rjh=-, Mar 3, 2005
  9. Jules Winnfield

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:36:28 +1300, Jules Winnfield wrote:

    > A friend of a friend has a P3 650 computer with no OS they're just wanting
    > to use for general office stuff, email and some internet access. I've
    > suggested Linux as a low-cost option. Problem is, I don't know the first
    > thing about Linux. I've heard that the Wellington Linux group have the
    > occasional installfest which he could possibly take it along to. Does anyone
    > have any idea who he would contact about this? TIA.

    Or to rephase the question.

    Any one in the Wellington area interested in helping out by installing
    Linux on a friends of mines PC?

    Ms Peguin has just headed for the beach, ETA will be shortly.

    The Feringi are in dither mode, an oppotunity without any bars of latitum
    involved?! (Hint in case one needs it, Star Trek).

    Gordon, Mar 4, 2005