    this exact same thing before with no problem, though I was making the CDs
    for use on a different PC.

    Any ideas on what is going on here?
    Churchill, Dave, May 28, 2005

  2. Churchill, Dave wrote:
    > I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
    > plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for
    > installation. I planned touse the "parted" utility on the Linux Fedora Core
    > 3 distro to alter the partition on my 2nd h.d. to which to install FC3, and
    > boot loader which comes with the distro to toggle at boot-up between WinXP
    > or FC3.
    >
    > However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
    > either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
    > recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
    > in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
    > valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD
    > iso images". It is something very specific you do in Nero, and have done
    > this exact same thing before with no problem, though I was making the CDs
    > for use on a different PC.

    You burn the ISO's to disk (CD) using Nero. The first disk is bootable
    and asks to install FC3. That's the way it works.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 28, 2005

    The problem is, though, that the PC did not recognize the first installation disk. That is the problem. I installed FC1 and FC2 before (different PC), and did not see this problem.
    Churchill, Dave, May 28, 2005
  4. Churchill, Dave wrote:
    > "Churchill, Dave" <> wrote:
    >

    > The problem is, though, that the PC did not recognize the first installation disk. That is the problem. I installed FC1 and FC2 before (different PC), and did not see this problem.

    Sounds like a corrupted ISO/CDR.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 28, 2005
  5. Churchill, Dave

    Parko Guest

    Churchill, Dave wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

    > Any ideas on what is going on here?

    1). You did verify the MD5sums, didn't you?
    2). Burn the iso images at a low speed using high quality media. CDBurnerXP
    Pro offers more control over the process than Nero if you're using Windows.

    http://tinyurl.com/5q5zk
    http://tinyurl.com/df4g8

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, May 28, 2005
  6. Churchill, Dave

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:54:13 -0600, Churchill, Dave wrote:

    >I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
    >plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for

    <snip>

    >However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
    >either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
    >recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
    >in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
    >valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD

    As mentioned earlier about the MD5 sums , Nero also have a GUI app for
    checking these.

    http://www.nero.com/eng/Nero_MD5_Verifier.html

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, May 28, 2005
  7. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:54:13 -0600, Churchill, Dave wrote:
    >
    >>I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
    >>plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for

    > <snip>
    >
    >>However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
    >>either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
    >>recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
    >>in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
    >>valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD

    > As mentioned earlier about the MD5 sums , Nero also have a GUI app for
    > checking these.
    >
    > http://www.nero.com/eng/Nero_MD5_Verifier.html
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    I will go back to Fedora page and see what is the check-sum for each of the
    downloaded files and check them using the Nero app.

    However, I discovered this morning based on a suggestion from a friend, that
    if you burn in Nero a "CD-ROM ISO", you don't seem to get such an animail.
    There is also a "UDF/ISO CD-ROM" choice in the Nero v6 burning wizard, but
    haven't tried that yet. My friend suggested to use another package, which
    for personal use is free - Deep Burner (free) - so I downloaded that and
    burned another copy of the ISO image for the Fedora Core 3 rescue disk - and
    the machine booted off that disk the first try. Everything else was equal,
    same CD-R media, same burner, etc., so either Nero v6 has a defect or I
    wasn't using it properly.

    So, thanks for all the help. I at least have a short-term path forward now.
    Churchill, Dave, May 28, 2005
  8. Churchill, Dave

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 07:19:16 -0600, Churchill, Dave wrote:

    >> On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:54:13 -0600, Churchill, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
    >>>plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
    >>>either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
    >>>recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
    >>>in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
    >>>valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD

    >> As mentioned earlier about the MD5 sums , Nero also have a GUI app for
    >> checking these.
    >>
    >> http://www.nero.com/eng/Nero_MD5_Verifier.html
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me
    >>

    >I will go back to Fedora page and see what is the check-sum for each of the
    >downloaded files and check them using the Nero app.
    >
    >However, I discovered this morning based on a suggestion from a friend, that
    >if you burn in Nero a "CD-ROM ISO", you don't seem to get such an animail.

    I usually just use the burn from image option (for .ISO files) , not
    picking any of the ISO/UDF types. Maybe you burnt the ISO as a file to
    the disk as is.

    Never had a problem doing that with Nero 5/6.

    >There is also a "UDF/ISO CD-ROM" choice in the Nero v6 burning wizard, but
    >haven't tried that yet. My friend suggested to use another package, which
    >for personal use is free - Deep Burner (free) - so I downloaded that and
    >burned another copy of the ISO image for the Fedora Core 3 rescue disk - and
    >the machine booted off that disk the first try. Everything else was equal,
    >same CD-R media, same burner, etc., so either Nero v6 has a defect or I
    >wasn't using it properly.

    Use
    Recorder / Burn Image / select ISO file.
    and not
    File / New (New Compliation) / CD/DVD / selecting the type.

    >So, thanks for all the help. I at least have a short-term path forward now.

    YW.

    Me
    why?, May 28, 2005