Linux in India

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    This one country, India, could have more Linux users than the rest of the
    world combined in the near future.....(though Red Flag Linux - a native
    mandarin Chinese distro - is already arguably the most popular version of
    Linux on the planet today....)

    http://www.in.redhat.com/news/article/64.html

    Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Y.S. Rajan, Principal Adviser- CII said,
    "India has the second largest education system in the world and there is an
    urgent need to modernize it using information technology. We have therefore
    developed content that we offer free to educational institutions. As our
    Honourable President, APJ Abdul Kalam has pointed out, open source can
    serve as a tool for modernizing India. We are therefore happy to work with
    Red Hat to deploy our content and open source software in the service of
    Indian education. Even the CII-Shiksha contents for teaching in schools is
    based on the open-source concept. We will let capable and motivated
    teachers to creatively modify the content and to give a distinct flavour to
    suit the local conditions and use it for teaching in other languages. It is
    a living organism to be a part of the students, teachers and parents."

    steve, Jan 16, 2006

  2. steve

    Mutlley Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >This one country, India, could have more Linux users than the rest of the
    >world combined in the near future.....(though Red Flag Linux - a native
    >mandarin Chinese distro - is already arguably the most popular version of
    >Linux on the planet today....)
    >
    >http://www.in.redhat.com/news/article/64.html

    >Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Y.S. Rajan, Principal Adviser- CII said,
    >"India has the second largest education system in the world and there is an
    >urgent need to modernize it using information technology. We have therefore
    >developed content that we offer free to educational institutions. As our
    >Honourable President, APJ Abdul Kalam has pointed out, open source can
    >serve as a tool for modernizing India. We are therefore happy to work with
    >Red Hat to deploy our content and open source software in the service of
    >Indian education. Even the CII-Shiksha contents for teaching in schools is
    >based on the open-source concept. We will let capable and motivated
    >teachers to creatively modify the content and to give a distinct flavour to
    >suit the local conditions and use it for teaching in other languages. It is
    >a living organism to be a part of the students, teachers and parents."

    Go India.

    Mutlley, Jan 16, 2006

  3. steve

    Rudy Canoza Guest

    steve wrote:

    > This one country, India, could have more Linux users than the rest of the
    > world combined in the near future.....(though Red Flag Linux - a native
    > mandarin Chinese distro - is already arguably the most popular version of
    > Linux on the planet today....)
    >
    > http://www.in.redhat.com/news/article/64.html

    > Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Y.S. Rajan, Principal Adviser- CII said,
    > "India has the second largest education system in the world and there is an
    > urgent need to modernize it using information technology. We have therefore
    > developed content that we offer free to educational institutions. As our
    > Honourable President, APJ Abdul Kalam has pointed out, open source can
    > serve as a tool for modernizing India. We are therefore happy to work with
    > Red Hat to deploy our content and open source software in the service of
    > Indian education. Even the CII-Shiksha contents for teaching in schools is
    > based on the open-source concept. We will let capable and motivated
    > teachers to creatively modify the content and to give a distinct flavour to
    > suit the local conditions and use it for teaching in other languages. It is
    > a living organism to be a part of the students, teachers and parents."

    Why on earth do you think Indians will take to Linux more than Westerners?
    Sounds to me like you're not taking into account the difference between
    sysadmins and single users.

    How typically delusional of you. Surely you know how unpopular Linux is with
    the novice (i.e. typical) computer user.

    Rudy Canoza, Jan 19, 2006
  4. steve

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Rudy Canoza wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> This one country, India, could have more Linux users than the rest of the
    >> world combined in the near future.....(though Red Flag Linux - a native
    >> mandarin Chinese distro - is already arguably the most popular version of
    >> Linux on the planet today....)
    >>
    >> http://www.in.redhat.com/news/article/64.html

    >> Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Y.S. Rajan, Principal Adviser- CII said,
    >> "India has the second largest education system in the world and there is an
    >> urgent need to modernize it using information technology. We have therefore
    >> developed content that we offer free to educational institutions. As our
    >> Honourable President, APJ Abdul Kalam has pointed out, open source can
    >> serve as a tool for modernizing India. We are therefore happy to work with
    >> Red Hat to deploy our content and open source software in the service of
    >> Indian education. Even the CII-Shiksha contents for teaching in schools is
    >> based on the open-source concept. We will let capable and motivated
    >> teachers to creatively modify the content and to give a distinct flavour to
    >> suit the local conditions and use it for teaching in other languages. It is
    >> a living organism to be a part of the students, teachers and parents."

    > Why on earth do you think Indians will take to Linux more than Westerners?
    > Sounds to me like you're not taking into account the difference between
    > sysadmins and single users.
    >
    > How typically delusional of you. Surely you know how unpopular Linux is with
    > the novice (i.e. typical) computer user.

    I am convinced that typical (novice) computer users do not know what
    they are getting in to with the Internet. I see it all the time the
    nephew uses the in laws computer. It pops up something and he asks they
    look at it and BLINDLY use the yes button.

    http://lobby4linux.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=25

    Has some good comments on this. I use both windows and Linux the modern
    Linux almost makes sense If you had never used windows. There are many
    things in windows that cause heart break.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 19, 2006